Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced rough starting issues and erratic tach between 2,000-3,000 rpms? Will stall two or three times trying to get out of my uphill driveway. Pops and backfires....tach needle jumps up and down between 2000 and 3000 rpm....I don't want to have to put a power plug on a new bike. Dealers worked on bike and now stuck in S3. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you have a main stand put it on the stand turn on the ignition and roll the rear wheel backwards and forwards to take the pressure off of the gears and hopefully it will reset. If no stand just roll the bike backwards a and forwards a short distance. If that works try starting it from cold without touching the throttle and let it run up for 15 minutes as this will allow the sensors to reset. There is also a DCT initialisation procedure well documented in other topics. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bike has been back to the dealer and they tried remapping, which is why it is stuck in Sport 3. They have now ordered a cold start throttle body. Back to the shop tomorrow......

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hmmm, I have not answer, but to say thats obviously not normal and taking it to the dealer is the right thing to do. I live in Colorado and have not had any issues with cold starting my DCT AT during the winter months...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rolling the back tire forward and backward doesn't do anything to unlock S3. I'm more concerned now about the lumpiness in the 2000-3000 rpm range.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sorry I may be being a bit dim here but if it is stuck in 3 how is the fever range an issue as it cannot be running. Unless you never switched it off. Is this post for real or just a wind up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dual clutch transmission (DCT) has three sport settings...1, 2, 3. I can not move from S3 to S2 or S1. While holding the AM button in, you should be able to go into the manual mode and use the trigger shifters. I can't go there either. Dealer is calling engineers in CA waiting for a reply. Still working on cold start. Popping and stalling. Extremely rough runnning at 2,000 to 3,000 rpm. I only wish this post was not for real. Passed up a good used BMW GSA for the same money......

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sorry to hear.

Hate dealing with lemon issues. Went through it with my first car purchase back in my twenties. Hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Do you get any errors on the display? Does the shift indicator "–" blink (or did it blink and subsequently go out)?

What about the check engine light on the left side of the display?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
None of the above happens. No errors. You turn it on and put it in Drive and you are stuck in the S3 setting. Dealer called Honda engineers in CA, and they never heard of this in a DCT transmission. Waiting on a reply from them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update....dealer found bad spark plug cap on plug number 3 while checking coils using electronic sniffer. Put my spark plug cap on a new Honda Pioneer. Same symptoms as mine....backfiring, stalling, erratic tach at 2 - 3,000 rpms. Pioneer cap put on my bike runs great. Still can't get out of S3.....dealer working on that......

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's very interesting. I assume that it was perhaps shorting or transmitting very high voltage to the bikes system. Not meaning to teaching you to suck eggs but has the dealer removed the earth, waited a good 20 minutes and reattached it. Sometimes it just works.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The ground has been disconnected way more than 20 minutes while they work on the bike.....several times. Still have not heard from the CA engineers as to why we are still stuck in S3.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My AT cut out for no reason on Sunday and I came to a halt stuck in gear 2. After trying all the tricks and checking all the earths and fuses no joy. I called for recovery and whilst waiting googled the issue and switched back on, click, click, click as it tried to find neutral. I then rolled the rear wheel backwards and bobs your uncle all sorted. It felt like it was running slightly rough but no further issues. Took it to the dealers and it spewed out two pages of faults. They cleared the faults and reset the DCT and tick over. Now much smoother. It was due to go back for an hour for a more in depth analysis but when I got home I got a call as Honda have seen the fault print out and want them to have it for a day for a deep test. The print out did confirm it died at 3800rpm and nothing I do caused it. I thought I might have accidentally brushed the kill switch. I will try and give it a few short runs just to check as I have a run out planned for next weekend and the weekend after. Your spark plug cap issue is worth mentioning as I wonder if such a fault might cause issues within the ECU and sensors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Last update on hard starting rough running between 2000and3000 rpm and stuck in S3 (DCT). Dealer cured all issues.1 replaced spark cap, was arking. No more starting problems or rough running. Dealer reflashed ECU solved stuck in S3 issue. Bike runs great, looking to log some miles here in central Pa.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts