Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I' m new to the forum. Can anyone give me the proper suspension settings front and rear for a rider of 225lbs (102kg). I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
My settings are -- new springs and valving from Cogent Dynamics...

Seriously. With the stock hardware the best setup I got was spring preload, compression damping and rebound damping all maxed out on both front and rear. I'm 190#.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just spoke with Cogent after talking with them I plan to just do front and rear spring upgrades. I am a 215 lbs rider. I just completed TAT on stock suspension. The only issue I felt I had was the front wheel wanting to wash out on loose gravel/sand. Re-valving, in my opinion, will only benefit riders that will be riding a lot of roots, rocks, washboard at speed. Procycle. I would be interested in hearing what changed with your bike handling after your upgrade.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The bike is transformed.
I don't ride roots and rocks with this bike and don't ever intend to try to treat it like a dirt bike. I mostly try to ride twisty paved roads and scenic gravel and jeep roads.My riding style might be described as fast and smooth but not necessarily aggressive. With the stock suspension I could not stay smooth in the corners. The bike would pitch and wallow. It would not want to hold the line I picked so I would find myself correcting mid-corner.

The Cogent setup is great. The bike feels very well controlled but is never harsh. Riding twisty pavement is now big fun. Local logging roads are a treat instead of being a little sketchy.

There's a review article I wrote for the ProCycle newsletter here --> https://procycle.us/info/newsletters/jun-18-issue.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi I bought the byke not long ago and did not lyke the setting went back to Honda who set its factory original setting a lot better. The setting are indicated in the manuel; they are 3 things to adjust I would suggest to start there and them modify and take notes at each change until you find your setting.

PS the harder may not be the better §

Cheers

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 17 DCT and I find the spring rates to be soft. I am not even heavy at 137 lbs. Just dealing with it right now but I do have the rear preload cranked up to 19 clicks in. 2 clicks in on rear rebound and 2 clicks in on compression on the rear. Front seems okay for me on stock settings. Haven't really pushed the bike hard yet however only 500 miles on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My settings are -- new springs and valving from Cogent Dynamics...

Seriously. With the stock hardware the best setup I got was spring preload, compression damping and rebound damping all maxed out on both front and rear. I'm 190#.

Hey, where on earth did you find the rear rebound settings? I have no clue where to look for it :S

·
Registered
57 Posts
The bike is transformed.
I don't ride roots and rocks with this bike and don't ever intend to try to treat it like a dirt bike. I mostly try to ride twisty paved roads and scenic gravel and jeep roads.My riding style might be described as fast and smooth but not necessarily aggressive. With the stock suspension I could not stay smooth in the corners. The bike would pitch and wallow. It would not want to hold the line I picked so I would find myself correcting mid-corner.

The Cogent setup is great. The bike feels very well controlled but is never harsh. Riding twisty pavement is now big fun. Local logging roads are a treat instead of being a little sketchy.

There's a review article I wrote for the ProCycle newsletter here -->

Procycle,...would like to read the article but the link doesn't work, do you have an updated link

1 - 12 of 12 Posts