Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a faulty meter in my bike resulting in the speedometer stuck at 0, and the odometer not turning (rendering the bike unusable). Local dealership has to pay $1k for the meter and associated parts, and then after labor and diagnostics, I'll be out around $1,800. Does this seem crazy to anyone else? I tried reaching out to Honda direct, and they had no answers or help. So, I'm venting, but also wondering if anyone has seen a scenario like this or has any insights/avenues I should pursue.
Avoiding a scenario like this was the reason I bought a Honda. I'm looking at paying close to 20% the value of the bike to get it fixed. Unreal.

·
Registered
2019 AT DCT, 2017 Duke 690, 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+
58 Posts
Cut off what ever you need to make the bike operable, Use a garmin zumo for speed, etc. repair nothing, live with odometer not accurate DMV disclosure, and accept the diminished value of the bike, way less than the repair bill. then ride the snot out of it.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,360 Posts
@Scwix07

I’m with THX1138, buy a Zumo and the Camel brace, mount it up top center and be done with it. ..
It will keep track of your mileage and give you accurate speed, plus a 💩 load of other useful stuff and when you sell the bike you got a nice GPS unit for your next one. Then just keep an eye out for the part you need, you never know you could come across someone parting out an AT and get one cheap. In the meantime you can be riding..

Also Touratech makes a nice locking base for the Zumo’s..

Reactions: WeeWilly and Sled

·
Premium Member
CRF1100 DCT
481 Posts
You get them on eBay etc in the UK, I would imagine there will be some on USA ebay.
Quick search of eBay UK and they seem to be going for about £300

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have a faulty meter in my bike resulting in the speedometer stuck at 0, and the odometer not turning (rendering the bike unusable). Local dealership has to pay $1k for the meter and associated parts, and then after labor and diagnostics, I'll be out around $1,800. Does this seem crazy to anyone else? I tried reaching out to Honda direct, and they had no answers or help. So, I'm venting, but also wondering if anyone has seen a scenario like this or has any insights/avenues I should pursue.
Avoiding a scenario like this was the reason I bought a Honda. I'm looking at paying close to 20% the value of the bike to get it fixed. Unreal.

Is it certain it is a faulty meter and not just a faulty speed sensor? Has the sensor been checked?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is it certain it is a faulty meter and not just a faulty speed sensor? Has the sensor been checked?
Agree with Petros...would start by checking the speed sensor. Looks like they are about $100 on Partzilla if this is the correct part: Honda 37710-MJP-G81 - SENSOR ASSY., SPEED | Partzilla.com I would start there and if it doesn't work rely on the Garmin. Could probably swap it out yourself depending on how comfortable you are tearing into the bike.
Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font
Product Font Cylinder Camera accessory Cameras & optics

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cut off what ever you need to make the bike operable, Use a garmin zumo for speed, etc. repair nothing, live with odometer not accurate DMV disclosure, and accept the diminished value of the bike, way less than the repair bill. then ride the snot out of it.
I had not considered this option. Thanks! Won't fix the disappointment in the bike, but will definitely be a less expensive option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree with Petros...would start by checking the speed sensor. Looks like they are about $100 on Partzilla if this is the correct part: Honda 37710-MJP-G81 - SENSOR ASSY., SPEED | Partzilla.com I would start there and if it doesn't work rely on the Garmin. Could probably swap it out yourself depending on how comfortable you are tearing into the bike. View attachment 67058 View attachment 67059
Yes, definitely the meter, not the sensor. It was inspected by two different dealers. Crazy that the meter is as expensive as it is...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Scwix07

I’m with THX1138, buy a Zumo and the Camel brace, mount it up top center and be done with it. ..
It will keep track of your mileage and give you accurate speed, plus a 💩 load of other useful stuff and when you sell the bike you got a nice GPS unit for your next one. Then just keep an eye out for the part you need, you never know you could come across someone parting out an AT and get one cheap. In the meantime you can be riding..

Also Touratech makes a nice locking base for the Zumo’s..
Agreed and intrigued by this option. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You get them on eBay etc in the UK, I would imagine there will be some on USA ebay.
Quick search of eBay UK and they seem to be going for about £300

I had not considered a used/ebay option. Thanks, will do some shopping to see if I can find the right part here in the U.S.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
786 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts