1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas Auto part Metal Font Composite material

Mousetrap Circuit component Rectangle Musical instrument Material property

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Sports equipment Motor vehicle Coil spring

So, if anyone has read my previous post, I have been having some charging issues with my 2017 Manual AT. I did find a loose ground wire at the battery box and have replaced the battery (Also replaced the factory battery last January which was **** up).

After fixing the ground wire and replacing the battery, I did all of the factory Service Manual tests for the regulator-rectifier and found the charging voltage while running is 14.05V at idle and 5,000 RPM. With the high beam and heated grips on, this dropped to 13.88-13.89V. The factory service manual indicates that this should be 15.5V (seems high to me) at 5,000 RPM. Performing all other tests and passing them all, the manual states that if 15.5V is not being achieved, then the regulator-rectifier needs to be replaced.

I purchased a high speed, low drag, shiny red MOSFET regulator-rectifier from RM Stator and installed last night. With the newest battery, the initial charge output was 14.25V at idle and once warmed up, settled between 14.08V and 14.15V. These numbers do not increase with RPM as the value was still 14.15V at 5,000 RPM.

As you can see in the photos, the factory regulator-rectifier looks to have oil on the connector which I hadn't noticed before. Is oil seeping up the line from the stator?

WTF??? Does anyone else have charge output numbers similar? Is the stator fried??

Any input will be very welcome at this point since the thing has left me stranded twice and been out of service for two weeks. FFS.

Thanks!
Ash

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
404 Posts
I don't think I have everseen over 13.8v on my 2017, at any RPM, with lights on high and a couple of LED running lights on, along with heated grips.

I always thought it would be nice, if it was higher, but it has been quite adequate for a couple of years. Replaced a bad battery, about a year ago, but it was 3 years old.

FYI... I ran a volt meter plug in to the cigarette lighter socket for quite a while, so got to watch the voltage variation under most conditions.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Update:

So with oil running the full length of the wire loom and oil in the plug at the regulator-rectifier, I opted to replace the stator. What a massive PITA. The only way to get access to two of the plugs is to remove the battery box. To remove the battery box, obviously many other items need to be removed: crash bars, upper fairings and other plastics, starter relay, fuel tank, air box, and throttle bodies. The stator is out and I'm now ready to put the bike back together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts