Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed some upper and lower wind deflectors and front cowl visors. I'm riding to work tommorow ill see how they work. I am just looking for as much comfort from wind and buffeting as possible. Have some long trips this summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Flyfishin69, I think your results will different to mine (when I eventually get them fitted), due to your screen setup. But hoping we get a positive result. :grin2:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes yes yes!. I found the perfect blend of air for my 6' medium/large frame.
I do have the batzen screen adjuster which is nice. High in the winter and low in the summer.
The lower deflectors keep heat off knees from radiator. The upper deflectors keep wind off arms and upper chest. The cowl visors just keep all air balanced and no buffeting. I also installed a Rugged Roads air dam which definitely keeps wind from going under helmet/chin. Very pleasant 80 miles yesterday.
Oh I also picked up a Shoei Neotec 2 last week. Man oh man what a quiet, light and comfortable helmet! I rode mostly yesterday with visor up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shedracer and bigmark1960 I believe the investment will not be in vain if your are looking for a queiter and calmer ride!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds good! I have a madstad installed so mine is also adjustable. I have the neotec II on order also but they are pre order, they wont be delivering here till late April. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
979 Posts
That's good to hear. Helmet can make a big difference.
It's interesting that Honda has added those mounting points on the upper fairing for all of the bikes now and is maybe acknowledging that some users have issues with turbulent air.
Now you're ready for a good long ride!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's funny you should mention that about mounting points for cowl visors. I Actually had to measure and use a homemade template for the holes in front fairings and then align that up with the holes I drilled in the base fairing. It took a steady hand and a shot of bourbon to get the nerve to drill into my bike. I will mention that the plastic fairings are not super strong. When removing them be very careful not to break off any fasten points.
As for helmet you are spot on when it comes to quality for the money! I was in a tight jam and needed a helmet asap and couldn't wait until April so I ordered the Shoei from Chrombusters in the Netherlands. It took roughly 10 days but WELL WORTH IT. I can't believe how quiet, light, comfy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You bet sorry I didn't do this before.
These are the visors for the front cowl.

http://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00c...c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5/Products/08R71MKKD00

These are the lower deflectors for radiators.

http://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00c...c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5/Products/08R73MJPG50

And the are the upper deflectors on the left and right cowl panel.

http://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00c...c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5/Products/08R74MJPG50

The top visors are the trickiest to install as they required some careful measurements a steady hand and some commitment to drill into the front of your bike.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Does anyone know whether the upper air 'visors' are the same for the Sport and the new standard 2018 model (both have bolt holes in the fairing but neither has them listed on the dealers' website for ordering parts)
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
119 Posts
I picked up a givi airflow screen recently. Taking it on an 800km ride through the mountains tomorrow. I like that it is 2 pieces. The first piece is smaller than the stock screen, which will be great off-road, and the upper piece is absolutely huge compared to the stock screen that hopefully will be good on the highway without too much buffeting. I'll report back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm guessing the fairing and air visors are same for both models on the 2018 AT. They have not arrived in the US yet to my knowledge. But I ordered the 2018 visors from over seas and mounted to my 2017 AT DCT. (Had to measure and drill through front fairing) but works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Presumably you have to take the fairing panels off the 2016 Bike to grill and bolt on the visor deflecrors? (I am pretty sure btw that the At sport fairing panels are different from the standard model although they both take the deflectors on the new bikes)
Mike

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have just fitted the deflectors to my 2018 ATAS. Dead easy, screw holes and well nuts / screws come with the bike. The same will apply to the 2018 AT
However The ATs up to 2017 need panels removing to drill and fit well nuts. The instuctions that come with the deflectors show you how to do this .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ruggedroads in the UK. See the links towards the beginning of this thread. Great customer service and rather speedy shipping. I will say you have to measure very care carefully because the 2017 fairing is NOT premarked for drill locations.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts