Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A recent warm spell (55 deg) here in S Oregon at 4250 ft. allowed me to check out my 2017 AT DCT after many add-ons.
Everything works!

Mods
1. Aux lights with Skeene dimmer. The brackets I made from aluminum L section and mount to
pre-drilled holes on SW-Motec crash bar.

2. Lowering link and adjustable kick stand - Soupy's.

3. Crash bars front - SW-Motec
4. Low seat - Honda
5. Panniers and frames - Tusk
I was quoted $400 plus by a auto repair shop to paint the silver/gray Tusk panniers to look like the AT.
$35 for cans of automobile quality paint and some flexible masking tape and I have unique panniers.
Took a few hours!

6. Power distribution block - Eastern Beaver

7. Cruise control - McCruise kit for AT.
The very thorough 57 page step by step installation manual is excellent. Took me a several days to work through that.

8. Heated grips - Koso Apollo
9. Tire pressure monitor - M3 TPMS
10. Chain oiler - Scottoiler
11. Voltmeter and USB ports - LiDiVi Neat $15 gadjet which shows current volts in blue led between covered USB sockets.

I made an extra long tools tube by inserting some 3 inch PVC pipe into the black standard tube and spray painted to
match the recently decorated panniers. Now it is long enough for a 15" tire iron.

First impressions.
Riding this Moto feels great after thrashing a Yamaha WR250R for 19k miles.
It has a long stride, DCT no problem, cruise work so well.

Only problem, as often reported on this forum, excessive turbulence with my peaked Schuberth E1.
A visor is essential this time of year.
I took the screen off after unsuccessfully fiddling with spacers. Temporarily, I have smooth clean airflow.
Next, I will try an adjustable top of screen deflector.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have the time and resources to do it myself. Spread over two months.

Height 5' 9", 29" leg and I can now ground my heels with feet three feet apart, measured to outside.
The Soupy's link is quickly adjusted. So, I will raise the rear to allow for work in sag and rider confidence.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks great. I'm interested to hear about how well the cruise control is after some months.
One thing I would consider is the load that the gps and TPS put on the cross-bar you have them mounted to. Lots of reports of that bar breaking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
just installed my mccruise saturday. i love it! thats the biggest item i felt the AT was lacking.

hows that oiler working out for you? it seems like a neat idea, but something tells me itll just get caked with dirt with any offroad use.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, the support bar may be weak.
I will mostly ride highway, maybe 10% gravel. I still have my Yamaha WR250R for the trails.
So, less washboard and steps may help. If it cracks, I will strengthen it.
That is the shortest available RAM mount but it still tries to twist the bar.
I may make my own short L bracket with u-bolts and aluminum plate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great idea to paint the bags. LOOKS GREAT imho. Thanks for posting the listing with pics of what you've done and what was used. Just beginning to equip my late '16 now with panniers and racks, crash bars, aux lighting, heat grips etc.
Did you evaluate any other option for the cruise control; just wondering as I don't know if there are any other sources?
Finally, can I ask why the Tusk system, I've not yet been able to see these in the flesh but had looked into them. Easy to mount with no or limited cutting etc???

GREAT JOB on all of these, congrats!

·
Registered
119 Posts
As far as I can tell, the tusk system is almost identical to the happy trail setup I have. I had to drill two holes in under the rear fender. It's not nothing, but it's not very significant for modifications. I've had a couple tip overs onto the panniers and the frames haven't bent at all yet. I had happy trail racks on my KLR. That thing really took a beating and the racks eventually bent inwards. Their stuff is great quality, but their customer service is lacking!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Choices
Apart from McCruise, I did not find any other recommended source for Cruise control on the Africa Twin. A company in Michigan is out of business and never well reviewed. I have a background in computer electronics and considered building my own system. All the essential parts are readily available for about $350. But, the learning curve would be steep; a lot of trial and error. The McCruise comes with a complex and complete harness which accurately fits the AT. All connections are direct plug in except for one wire splice into the RPM signal. That is worth over $200.

First run
The control unit adjustable parameters (about eight) are already configured correctly for the AT. My unit passed initial diagnostics without error and ran as soon as I tried it out on the road. Hassle free early operation is worth another $200!

Installation
McCruise installation requires removal of gas tank and airbox above the throttle body for access to the cable operating the throttle spindle. The cable from the twist throttle is moved to the cables drum and a new cable connects the drum to the spindle.

In response to request for McCruise pictures

Left hand switches:

Servo connector drum. Two in from throttle twist and McCruise servo. One out to throttle spindle.
I had to shorten the tail end of the SW-Motec crash bar by an inch for clearance:

Servo unit:

Controller electronics unit. Translucent cover exposes green and red LEDs used while testing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
No interference with down shift button. Occasionally, I have accidentally stepped up to the next heat level while adjusting my grip on the left side.

The MCCruise button strip housing is a bit too close to the headlight rocker rocker switch. Otherwise, no interference with the other buttons and switches. Cable tucks away with others inside sheath.

After 39,450 miles since Jan 2018 I am still impressed with this well engineered device. No real problems, used most of the time while riding, saves my right hand from having to hold the throttle open. In combination with DCT, this extra has extended my riding years. 600 miles from Phoenix to Fresno just last week.

The only imperfection is maybe once in 1000 miles after start up and riding off, the right side LED flashes red/yellow and cruise will not engage. Solution is to slow to 15 mph and when steady red shows, resume normal operation. I think this allows the device to resynch with the Honda sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ghorgan,
Looks like your panniers would look perfect with my seat! Custom covers for a stock regular height Honda seat. Was on bike when I bought it recently. I went with a low Sargent seat, so this custom one is just gathering dust. If you are interested, PM me.
Your bike looks great!!!
- Reverend Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Love the paint on the panniers. That color scheme would make for an entrepreneurs dream fabricating stickers to have panniers match the paint schemes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts