Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a small drip of oil today. Pic is from under bike below stator cover on left side of the bike with skid plate removed. Apparently its been there awhile as there is blowby and oil film in skid plate. 6000 miles on bike less than a year old. I found other posts of oil leaking near oil filter from torx bolts, but my leak looks like it's in a different location. Warranty work I'm sure but slightly concerning.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Found a small drip of oil today. Pic is from under bike below stator cover on left side of the bike with skid plate removed. Apparently its been there awhile as there is blowby and oil film in skid plate. 6000 miles on bike less than a year old. I found other posts of oil leaking near oil filter from torx bolts, but my leak looks like it's in a different location. Warranty work I'm sure but slightly concerning.
shamefully un Honda like,
poor quality control and not acceptable but Im sure will get sorted,good that you noticed It though..

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine leaks slightly from the left stator cover where the stator wire comes out through the rubber grommet, only leaks if I leave the bike on the side stand, probably because my oil level is to high, there was sand build up around the rubber grommet that I cleaned out with electrical cleaner, since cleaning Ive dome 350k's & it hasn't leaked but I haven't left it on the side stand ether, time will tell if it still leaks or not

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that was it! I traced the path of oil back up to stator wire. The bike has been on kick stand for awhile with oil pushing against the grommet.
Thanks yetiboy01!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I totally agree it shouldn't leak. In my opinion if oil can come out that means debris can intrude back in.. ie water, dust.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine has the leak at the rubber grommet where the wire comes out of the stator. Bike has 17,120 miles on it and it appears it has been leaking there a little while due to residue build up in the area. Mine is the DCT so a little plastic black cover hides the wire and grommet location. I also have oil in the rectifier plug just like I discovered on another owners bike when I googled this leak. Odd to think it could push motor oil through a wiring loom that far to the plug end and not one trace of oil along the wiring loom before the plug. Even more strange is why so much crankcase pressure to begin with. My airbox drain is always full of motor oil it seems. Oil level is always just below the full line on the dip stick so it is not over filled with oil.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My manual AT also has a very slow oil leak in this area: left side forward in the stator cover area. When ever I drop the bash plate I find an oil film and some dirty oil smudging captured by the bash plate. I cleaned the area with brake cleaner and retorqued all the cover bolts last time I changed oil. I'll see what it looks like in a few thousand miles.

Reactions: roy826
1 - 9 of 9 Posts