Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
My dealer says spokes are double dipped and there is a fix for the grips. I got Oxford grips.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I checked with a dealer in the US and they appear to be the same.
Not sure that really helps though. May look the same but be wired or internally different. Hopefully a 2017 owner will give us some feedback. I want some but I'm holding off til I hear they're upgraded/fixed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone fit 2017 heated grips yet or change 2016 for upgrades.any better heat.getting my bike Friday,afraid to comment to oem heated grips yet!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Picked up my bike today Rockie and went with the Oxford grips. They're brilliant and were only on the 50% setting. The dealer advised me not to go for the Honda ones.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Dave, What Oxford grips did you go with? Are they the Oxford Heaterz Premium Adventure Heated Grips?
I believe they are Anthony. The dealer picked them as they had fitted them to a number of Africa Twins. There are 5 heat settings on the controller and I was using them on the second with plenty of heat. They are also much cheaper. The only minus is there is a controller on the bars instead of integrated in the dash with the OEM grips.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Dave,thanks for reply.what are the grips like.some say they are thicker and u need to pear them back so they are not a clean finish

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Dave,thanks for reply.what are the grips like.some say they are thicker and u need to pear them back so they are not a clean finish

I never had the bike with the standard grips, Rockie, so I don't know if they're thicker but I don't have a problem with them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anyone fit 2017 heated grips yet or change 2016 for upgrades.any better heat.getting my bike Friday,afraid to comment to oem heated grips yet!
please keep us informed. After waiting for 10 months I got an update on my 2016: the Belgium dealer fitted the grips from the VFR800 as replacement for the originals. Advantage : they are fully compatible with the dash etc... Disadvantage : they are a bit hotter but still far from satisfying to me... So I hope Honda will find a better solution.

A rumour told me they found the cause of the problem : it should have to do with the resistance of the aluminium aloy steerbars... Now find a fix please....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bart, I did send several mails to Honda Benelux and this was the answer:
This mail was sending 23 dec 2016. I had sent there answer to my dealer. From then on , no answer from the dealer.
I now there was the show in Brussels witch ended this weekend. I hope they come with a solution. Next Saturday i will visit the dealer to talk about this problem.
Grtz

letter:
Geachte heer van de Kelen,

Bedankt voor uw e-mail.

Ik had uw schrijven doorgestuurd naar ons hoofdkantoor. Ik heb de volgende informatie ontvangen in verband met de handvaten probleem van uw Africa Twin:

Er is recent een servicebulletin uitgestuurd naar de Honda dealers waarin een oplossing is gegeven. Uw Honda dealer moet dit bulletin lezen en opvolgen. Tevens gaat ons hoofdkantoor, vandaag of morgen, contact opnemen met uw dealer om de opvolging te bespreken.

Wij adviseren u in contact te blijven met uw dealer voor de verdere procedure hierin.

Vertrouwende u voldoende te hebben geïnformeerd.

Met vriendelijke groet,

·
Registered
89 Posts
Guys, this is an extract from an email from Honda customer services in the UK
"As mentioned previously the heated grips on your vehicle have been tested by the dealer and it has been confirmed that they are working in accordance to Honda's guidelines. The statement of the temperature not being hot enough is in relation to your preference.

Any information posted outside of Honda's official website is not provided by Honda (UK) and is therefore not regulated and trusted information, I am unable to pass comment on feedback from forums.

Unfortunately this is our final position, Honda (UK) will not be offering a reimbursement of the cost of the grips and I am sorry that you are not fully satisfied with your product."

They had previously offered a £100 goodwill credit note at my local Honda dealer, bit strange as they later claim there is nothing wrong with the grips. If anyone else is interested in taking this further I am happy to co-ordinate things as I feel like I have been totally ripped off to the tune of £370. For the record I have had the modified controller fitted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
According to Honda customer service UK the fix has not arrived in the UK as yet. I lodged a complaint with them many months ago and below is the response I received today. It would appear the fix will not arrive in the UK until the end of December. I will give my dealer an opportunity to provide the fix however if it is not up to the standard of my BMW heated grips I will ask for them to be removed and fitted with the new Oxford UK specific model ‘hotgrips’ in addition to asking for a significant refund. At the end of the day paying £350 for heated grips they need to be at least as efficient as the Oxford grips and as reliable. Let’s wait and see

Heated Grips track: Customer ServiceUK
17:01

Dear Mr xxxxxx

Thank you for your e-mail in relation to a Heated Grip enquiry.

Customer Relations have been provided with an update from factory in relation to the Heated Grip fault. We have been advised that the counter measure part is now imminent. We are currently waiting for parts to arrive and we estimate this to be out at the end of the year.

I would like to apologise for the delay in this part being released. Please keep in contact with your local Dealership as they will be informed when the countermeasure part is released.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Honda (UK).

Kind Regards,
Claire Laine

Customer Relations Co-ordinator
Customer & Aftersales
Honda (UK)

Telephone: 0845 200 8000
Snowbubble is online now Report Post

Honda UK have acknowledge there is a problem with the heated grips. I am also confident they read these forums.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Consumer Rights Act

Product quality

As with the Sale of Goods Act, under the Consumer Rights Act all products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described.

So all products must meet the following standards:

Satisfactory quality Goods shouldn't be faulty or damaged when you receive them. You should ask what a reasonable person would consider satisfactory for the goods in question? For example, bargain bucket products won’t be held to as high standards as luxury goods.
Fit for purpose The goods should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for, as well as any specific purpose you made known to the retailer before you agreed to buy the goods.
As described The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase.

Your rights under the Consumer Rights Act are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer, and so you must take any claim to the retailer.

In essence if you are outside the 30 days then you must give them the opportunity to repair or replace. If this is unsuccessful then you can claim a refund for the full cost. The issue here appears to be proving the temperature difference of what is deemed acceptable. One could argue personal preference et cetera et cetera. However the acid test will be the judge in the small claims County Court who will take a pragmatic view of what is reasonable.
In my view this case would be fairly simple to convince a judge that the grips are not fit for purpose. First of all a consideration when making such judgements is the price paid as a benchmark against similar products to establish quality. For example a TVs picture quality for a £150 TV is not going to be the same as one costing £2000. The good news for us is there is an excellent comparative which are the The Oxford Advanced HotGrips which feature 9 heat settings for £79 and are accepted throughout the industry as providing significant and sufficient heat. The challenge is to establish exactly what temperature they reach and demonstrate the difference between this and the temperature the Honda OEM grips reach (Cost £295 I think that has been reduced). Should not be difficult when using a thermal reader.
Of note is is important to appreciate that legally your claim is against your point of purchase, the dealer, and not the manufacturer. It is disappointing as it is important to cultivate the relationship with your local dealer however if they do not acknowledge the issue is their responsibility then one has to ask any real benefit of remaining with them if there are alternatives.
Ideally they will remove the grips, refund them, and replace with the Oxford grips and charge you for the new grips. I can see difficulty as they will say the blame lies with Honda UK. This arises because many dealers do not understand that the legal contract is with them not the manufacturer Honda UK.
My replacement grips should be arriving next week. I will inform the dealer of my intention to to take the matter forward if the replacement is not fit for purpose. Quite simply if this becomes the case I will take the bike elsewhere and get the Oxford grips fitted, take a reading to demonstrate the difference , and then make a claim through the smart Small Claims Court which is a relatively simple process.
Let's hope the Honda fix makes the above unnecessary.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Snowbubble I have just recently picked up my bike and the dealer advised against the Honda grips and fitted the Oxford grips for me instead. They work brilliantly and even if the oem grips worked as well the difference in cost should be enough to sway most riders. My point - if youre getting a new bike, DON'T get the Honda grips.

I realise this doesn't help your situation and I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Snowbubble I have just recently picked up my bike and the dealer advised against the Honda grips and fitted the Oxford grips for me instead. They work brilliantly and even if the oem grips worked as well the difference in cost should be enough to sway most riders. My point - if youre getting a new bike, DON'T get the Honda grips.

I realise this doesn't help your situation and I wish you the best of luck.
DancerDave,

Is good to hear that you are happy with the Oxford grips and it's also heartening to hear that your dealer has been responsible enough to give you quality advice even though it may not be what Honda UK want to hear. It is helpful to know that they work well. And like you, after consulting some experts, I would advise against the OEM until it can be demonstrated they work to the required standard and riders are happy to pay the premium for the interconnectivity to the display and the Honda quality assurance (I'm trying not to laugh)

My post and advice was in response to Cadoganpier who has already purchased the OEM (which you acknowledge different to your circumstance). It is so riders understand the legal aspects of allowing the dealer (not manufacturer) to rectify the problem if more than 30 days past before demanding a refund.

Quite, £79 for a product that has pedigree, recommendation and also heat memory setting compared to a product that is currently £249:crying: and doesn't work is a no-brainer.>:)

By the way DancerDave do you know which model of Oxford grips you had fitted? Was it the latest version with nine settings (I not sure if this has a slightly higher output) or the previous version which has five settings also an excellent product currently available
from https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/101830 for £46.97.0:)

Simple installation
Thanks to their unique design and fool-proof wiring loom, HotGrips are extremely easy to fit. Connection to the motorcycle could not be simpler: connect the 2 ring connectors to the battery.
No need to wire the positive to a live ignition feed (unless the heat memory setting is required)

The reason I ask is that the main difference apart from grip pattern is the length of the grip, one being more suitable to our bike not necessarily relative to the name sports, touring or adventure.

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think I have a newer version controller. Your link gives a V.8 controller and mine says V.8i and appears to have 9 heat settings. The grips do not appear to have been cut but I don't know what version of Oxford grips I have. I am going to the bike show here tomorrow and I'll ask the dealer what model they fitted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think I have a newer version controller. Your link gives a V.8 controller and mine says V.8i and appears to have 9 heat settings. The grips do not appear to have been cut but I don't know what version of Oxford grips I have. I am going to the bike show here tomorrow and I'll ask the dealer what model they fitted.

Dancerdave,

Thank you for the reply. I have attached a picture with the three different grips all having a difference grip pattern. These are the latest nine
heat setting versions. Could you possibly have a look at your grips and match the grip pattern.

Thanks

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts