Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Has your 2018-2020+ Africa Twin Adventure Sports experienced fueling/idling/stalling/loss of power?

• Yes. I have had the dealership/Honda resolve the issue(s) under warranty at no cost.

• Yes. The dealership resolved it for me, but my warranty was expired and I had to pay out of pocket

• Yes. I have had these issues, but resolved the problem on my own and Honda is not aware.

• No. I have not had these issues, but I took precautionary measured (Guglatech Filter, etc.)

• No. But I am concerned that I will have this issue down the road.

• I have contacted Honda about my concerns

• I have filed a Safety Defect Report with NHTSA or other regulatory agency per Owners Manual

Results are only viewable after voting.
621 - 640 of 720 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks great @IdealPragmatist. Thanks for posting your work. The compressed air agitation looks like it really did the job. I am curious how many miles are on your ATAS.
Like clockwork, right at 3k miles. I was on my final leg of a long round trip and had the issue begin during very hot riding through the desert here in Arizona (105°+). The hotter the tank gets in direct sunlight, the more that stuff seems to loosen up. In the end, I guess that helps with the removal of it.

For those who have tanks that haven't really gotten that hot, it may be an idea to set it out in direct sunlight for a few hours and then do the tank rinses. Well, in my climate that would work right now but for the lucky ones that aren't dealing with our heat maybe there's another way to heat up the tank without damaging it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
@IdealPragmatist, I am planning about a 5,000 mile trip through the southwest in September, and it appears I would have the same problem while on my trip. If it was not for this forum I would know nothing about the fuel tank issue. Unfortunately, the Guglatech Filter is on backorder. My hopes it is delivered no later than August and I can clean my tank and prevent further damage and prevent the fuel starvation issue. It’s under warranty and I bought the extended warranty, however, the time line is to make the trip in August or wait another year. It has been 5 years since I last made the trip, on my GoldWing, but I am hoping to cover different ground this year on my AT.
A big shout out to the admins, moderators and everyone that has contributed to this thread. Without you all I would most likely be stranded in the Arizona desert this September!

·
Registered
84 Posts
However, that fancy fuel pump is on somewhere between a 2-3 month backorder and they won't touch it until they have the parts. Sorta makes you wonder how the Honda production line can be pumping bikes off for new sales if there's such a shortage of fuel pumps!
I don't think that fuel pump is as fancy as Honda claims - $500.00. These guys were mentioned in the first pages of the thread and after, myself, having taken the fuel pump apart, I'm not seeing any difference in quality. There does seem to be a mesh in the OEM fuel pump strainer, and I was going to cut mine apart to view it, but I'm waiting on my order of $14.95 to be delivered. I installed the guglatech, it can be the mesh while these WELDS (HONDA!!!) are flaking. I don't know what long term is going to be like, but neither does Honda or the dealers. Come winter, the bike will be put away / checked over and I'll revise my plan if needed. Otherwise, it's a solid running bike now that I fixed it - HONDAAAA!!!

RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
I don't think that fuel pump is as fancy as Honda claims - $500.00. These guys were mentioned in the first pages of the thread and after, myself, having taken the fuel pump apart, I'm not seeing any difference in quality. There does seem to be a mesh in the OEM fuel pump strainer, and I was going to cut mine apart to view it, but I'm waiting on my order of $14.95 to be delivered. I installed the guglatech, it can be the mesh while these WELDS (HONDA!!!) are flaking. I don't know what long term is going to be like, but neither does Honda or the dealers. Come winter, the bike will be put away / checked over and I'll revise my plan if needed. Otherwise, it's a solid running bike now that I fixed it - HONDAAAA!!!

RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL RECALL

Every time I talk to American Honda they go on and on about how it is a high quality, high capacity automotive fuel filter. Yeah, so your saying it therefore excels at sucking the maximum amount of particulate into the filter screen and beyond?

I wonder why they keep having to replace my injectors along with the pump each time.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, I don't know if Honda OEM is better or not. From the looks of it, I'd say it's just a global / one size fits Honda / Suzuki / Kawasaki.
I didn't see it getting past the fuel pump strainer, I've posted pics of the fuel pump inlet / outlet - then it flows through the plastic housing to the regulator. None of these pics had any grey / black mess too them.
Another guy, early in the thread said that the whole assembly had two filters. He mentioned the fuel pump strainer and then referred to a filter inside the pump itself. He must have torn one apart and looked inside. I don't know.
If this stuff is getting to the injectors / engine on my bike then I'm screwed. I don't have a plan for that except RECALL.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i think that is only a temporary solution, because there could still be bits of slag coming off inside that will clog the pre filter again, depending on how well they cleaned your tank.

The better fix is to install the guglatech sock filter, they also send you a new prefilter, the item in your second last photo. It would be difficult to know if the prefilter is still clogged with finer particles, so just cleaning the outer surface and putting back may not solve the problem. There is also an internal filter in that plastic housing that you cannot get at, and have to replace the entire part. Once you go to all the work of pulling it apart, just makes sense to replace that part, and put the guglatech upgrade in as well.
Digging up a quote, This was how I fixed it. Now, I'm reading this again and there is only one filter - a fuel strainer / a pre-filter / a fuel sock.

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Yeah, mine has been in twice for the issue and they replaced the pump and both fuel injectors both times. This leads me to believe that it is getting past the filters and into the injectors. Either that or Honda is just doing it as a CYA. But it seems like an expensive CYA if they don't have any reason to suspect it is getting into the injectors as well?

·
Registered
84 Posts
CYA - That's why I've got pics posted / comments on the internet. I real glad to see others are posting the same pics over and over. The ball is in Honda's court, but I don't think they are trying to score.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all I’m in the UK. Had a 2016 crf1000 dct for 4 great years. This march took delivery of a new CRF1100 AS ES DCT. Only rode it for 2 days before COVID lockdown but felt I was learning to ride again. After alleviation I have put the most unpleasant 1100 miles on it. I now bypass it and ride something else. It’s fine at speed no stalling and no power loss. However in a 30 or 40 mph limit it’s unrideable. To pedestrians it would appear I haven’t mastered riding yet. With a pillion it’s a constant head bang. I have tried D and S mode, All 4 standard rider modes. Have customised a user mode. Tried in manual. Cruise control does alleviate. At 600 mile service asked dealer to check. No problem apparently.
The only Half useable mode is gravel obviously limiting other features like ABS. In addition Engine braking mode disconnects at low speed when going downhill which presents itself as acceleration.
At my age the thing I am short of is time. Despite any potential loss I have decided to sell the bike after 4 months and move onto something I can ride properly.
I’ve been loyal to Honda and still have my lovely XRV but this bike is horrible

·
Registered
38 Posts
@chancey that is so disappointing to hear. In my humble opinion, you need to really push hard on this dealer of yours. Nothing is wrong, we all know this is a cop out on the dealers part. I’m wondering if this same dealer didn’t set the bike up, and incorrectly. My 2020 AT AS ES DCT manufactured date of January 2020 is a dream to ride. I have no issues. The entire concept of this machine thrilled me and it has exceeded my expectations. I have no issues with electronics or engine performance for 425 miles now, and your experience should be no difference. Anything less and you are being ripped off by your dealer. The expectation of a faulty fuel tank rendering the machine useless is disheartening in the least. Honda should do better than this, I expect more from Honda. Unfortunately, you need to fight your dealer. Go over their head and call Honda to file a complaint. Please keep us posted and don’t give up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Over two weeks in the shop. No ETA on a new pump. They're saying it could be months. Anyone know if any aftermarket fuel pumps work on the 1100?

On the bright side (?) the tech and the shop manager say they looked in my tank and they see no evidence of flaking of any material (I showed their team this thread). They said it looks like some bad gas from somewhere, pieces of leaves or something among the debris in the filter. I'm not getting into conspiracy theories; this shop has been solid so far and I have no reason to think they'd lie about this. Hopefully I can get something soon.

Considering just asking for the bike back to see if I can make it work on my own. Better than losing the bike until winter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
CYA - That's why I've got pics posted / comments on the internet. I real glad to see others are posting the same pics over and over. The ball is in Honda's court, but I don't think they are trying to score.
I'm fairly confident replacing the fuel pump and injectors is just the CYA/SOP that Honda Corporate has defined on any of these that exhibit the issue. I've read of others where replacing the tank was part of that SOP as well. Glad to see they seem to have realized that's not going to fix it and at least authorize the dealers to do some sort of tank flush/scrub. I just doubt they've defined the best way to accomplish that and that's why some have to take it back because the dealer couldn't "reach the tough spots".

I'm also guessing that they're concerned about the additional stress some of these fuel pumps were under while experiencing the issue and the labor costs what they are, it's easier for them to replace the pump and injectors... if they had them! lol

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Over two weeks in the shop. No ETA on a new pump. They're saying it could be months. Anyone know if any aftermarket fuel pumps work on the 1100?

On the bright side (?) the tech and the shop manager say they looked in my tank and they see no evidence of flaking of any material (I showed their team this thread). They said it looks like some bad gas from somewhere, pieces of leaves or something among the debris in the filter. I'm not getting into conspiracy theories; this shop has been solid so far and I have no reason to think they'd lie about this. Hopefully I can get something soon.

Considering just asking for the bike back to see if I can make it work on my own. Better than losing the bike until winter.
One tank of bag gas seems unlikely to 86 a fuel pump imho, unless you got it from a rusty steel drum in some remote part of the world. Not getting into conspiracy theories either, but did they find any evidence of pieces of leaves or any other debris that they feel would cause the issue? My guess is no.

More likely just a failed pump. It happens just like it can with any component/part. I had it happen with my KTM 1190. I was riding it home from the dealer and the bike suddenly stalled and wouldn't restart. Turned out the pump was fried. Replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
One tank of bag gas seems unlikely to 86 a fuel pump imho, unless you got it from a rusty steel drum in some remote part of the world. Not getting into conspiracy theories either, but did they find any evidence of pieces of leaves or any other debris that they feel would cause the issue? My guess is no.

More likely just a failed pump. It happens just like it can with any component/part.
They said they have photos of leaves on the filter but I haven't asked for them. I'm not going to go down that road right now; as I said, this team has shot straight with me so far so I'll take them at their word.

Update, though: I called Honda Customer Service (US) a few minutes ago and explained the situation. They're going to put my pump on "critical backorder" with a support case number attached to it. While that doesn't guarantee anything, it does sound like that really helps the priority on the backorder, for those who are in similar situations. I will say the lady I spoke with was great; very understanding and seemed like she genuinely wanted to help!

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Yeah, I understand. I mean I would be really curious to see the photos because where in the world would you pick up enough leaves to block the filter unless you have a kid that thought it might be a cool idea to stuff some into the filler? But I can appreciate why you don't want to go down that route :)

I am not sure what "Critical Back Order" gets you, but I hope it gets you a new pump soon. My first time in with the issue my bike was out 6 months waiting for a fuel pump. Luckily it was late October when it happened, so it wasn't as painful as mid-summer!

·
Registered
172 Posts
May be a stupid question but what happens if there is more ethanol in the fuel then specified? The maximum should 10% but we can check it. Now I read here when you place the bike in sunny and hot weather it will be possible that more piece will come off. So what I can think that to higher temperatures the ethanol will come out of the petrol. So you will have 2 layers in the flue which result in a higher concentration in the upper part of the fuel tank. It is just a though because here in North-EU there are not so many cases.

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
... They said it looks like some bad gas from somewhere, pieces of leaves or something among the debris in the filter. ...
lol, pieces of leaves. Tea leaves?

Honda Service is asking, " ... why is the owner putting leaves in the gas tank?"

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Mate. My brother-in-law is from Argentina and he says some folks there swear Mate is the remedy for everything :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

621 - 640 of 720 Posts