Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Has your 2018-2020+ Africa Twin Adventure Sports experienced fueling/idling/stalling/loss of power?

• Yes. I have had the dealership/Honda resolve the issue(s) under warranty at no cost.

• Yes. The dealership resolved it for me, but my warranty was expired and I had to pay out of pocket

• Yes. I have had these issues, but resolved the problem on my own and Honda is not aware.

• No. I have not had these issues, but I took precautionary measured (Guglatech Filter, etc.)

• No. But I am concerned that I will have this issue down the road.

• I have contacted Honda about my concerns

• I have filed a Safety Defect Report with NHTSA or other regulatory agency per Owners Manual

Results are only viewable after voting.
641 - 660 of 720 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
“As a matter of fact, I was born at night, just not last night.“ I have bought used my entire life just to avoid having confrontations with motorcycle shops and service managers that will lie to you to for whatever reasons. Until 2017 when I bought my first new Honda GoldWing. I had them put on the accessories I wanted so they would be covered under warranty. I bought the extended warranty, as well. I just traded it in with 28,000+ miles for this Africa Twin AS ES DCT. After 30,000 miles left fork seals start blowing and etc. Every time I turned the GoldWing in for service it came out looking like crap. Antifreeze on the fairing, dirt on the seat, etc. I’m hoping this brand new shiny 2020 Africa Twin is the exception to the Adventure Sport models here, but I doubt it is. I just believe overall quality control is gone. If I had to do it over again, I would have waited and bought a used 2020.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So if I spend $90 for the Guglatech Fuel Filter M22006-ARM it should prevent that green tea from plugging my oem fuel filter when those leaves gets put in my locked fuel tank?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Over two weeks in the shop. No ETA on a new pump. They're saying it could be months. Anyone know if any aftermarket fuel pumps work on the 1100?
See Below Courtesy of other member. There is a website which sells pumps and filters for the AT:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, I have an inquiry with them as to whether that replaces the pump for the 1100. Haven't heard back. The listing shows 2020, but also says the 1000. Better to ask first.
Yep, I'm assuming the pump is the same for the 2019 / 2020 model. See Post 515 & 516 Page 26 of this thread.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So if I spend $90 for the Guglatech Fuel Filter M22006-ARM it should prevent that green tea from plugging my oem fuel filter when those leaves gets put in my locked fuel tank?
I can't tell of people are kidding anymore or not. If you have the flaking welds in the gas tank, you'll want to install this version of guglatech. Fits over the fuel pump. Fast delivery from Italy. The guys are on the ball.

If you keep pulling up to an old rusty steel drum in some remote part of the world, then this will keep the leaves out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for taking the time, and apologies for not absorbing every post in this Ayn Rand saga of a thread. I'll chat with the folks at the dealership tomorrow about options. And see if they can install the Guglatech filter if I hand them one prior to getting all the work done.

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
The feedback that I got from American Honda on the Guglatech filter was kind of a "do so at your own risk" thing. If your fuel pump should happen to fail for some reason or anything else goes wrong that they can blame on the filter, then it won't be warranted if that filter is on there.

But the alternative of not having one on isn't great either.

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
I can't tell of people are kidding anymore or not. If you have the flaking welds in the gas tank, you'll want to install this version of guglatech. Fits over the fuel pump. Fast delivery from Italy. The guys are on the ball.

If you keep pulling up to an old rusty steel drum in some remote part of the world, then this will keep the leaves out.

... and if there is a sandwich on the steel drum, not made by you, eat it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They said they have photos of leaves on the filter but I haven't asked for them. I'm not going to go down that road right now; as I said, this team has shot straight with me so far so I'll take them at their word.

Update, though: I called Honda Customer Service (US) a few minutes ago and explained the situation. They're going to put my pump on "critical backorder" with a support case number attached to it. While that doesn't guarantee anything, it does sound like that really helps the priority on the backorder, for those who are in similar situations. I will say the lady I spoke with was great; very understanding and seemed like she genuinely wanted to help!
Yeah, I made sure to create a case with Honda USA before even dropping it off at the dealer. Always a good idea on anything significant. Learned that dealing with a warranty issue on a GMC Acadia with an exploded A/C compressor at 37k miles (36k warranty). The dealer said no warranty, then I opened the case and they contacted the dealer. They only made me pay $200! (IIRC).

So the Honda dealer also got the regional Honda rep involved. That seems to have dropped my estimated 3 months down to 2 months for a fuel pump. Luckily mine still works and I've taken care of everything else so I'm still able to ride while I wait.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The feedback that I got from American Honda on the Guglatech filter was kind of a "do so at your own risk" thing. If your fuel pump should happen to fail for some reason or anything else goes wrong that they can blame on the filter, then it won't be warranted if that filter is on there.

But the alternative of not having one on isn't great either.
Be a crapshoot probably on the warranty approval with the Guglatech installed...all in how the dealer words it with Honda and how you play nice with the dealer and make them want to work it out for you. They're doing a pretty good job of them failing from their own root cause at this point. You installing a Guglatech for a little insurance to save your life is going to be hard for them to argue with.

And we thought there weren't politics in mechanics? :). Of course with the Guglatech, you're probably never going to be having that conversation with them to begin with.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So, I don't have any problem swapping "Genuine Honda Parts" with Global - one size fits all Honda Suzuki Kawasaki. I'll take it to the bank. Now my 2007 YAMAHA WR450!, If and when that piece of Engineering does break down on me, I'll replace those parts with Genuine YAMAHA. Maybe someday Honda will produce a Legend / A Samurai, but not this time. I'm already seeing the 2020's up for sale as used.
Pics are fuel pump filter - Honda Genuine -vs- Honda Global

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Guglatechs shipped from Washington today. There is still hope that I can save my fuel system before Honda’s screw up kills the filter, pump, and in some cases the injectors. I have not even ran two tanks of gas thru it. Possibly only 10 gls. of leaf free gasoline @ 87 octane. I might just make my September ride! ****, am I feeling hopeful today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Guglatechs shipped from Washington today. There is still hope that I can save my fuel system before Honda’s screw up kills the filter, pump, and in some cases the injectors. I have not even ran two tanks of gas thru it. Possibly only 10 gls. of leaf free gasoline @ 87 octane. I might just make my September ride! ****, am I feeling hopeful today.
I think you'll be all set with no worries. Have you had it apart yet or will this be your first time taking the tank off of it?

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Once you get the Guglatech part and you get some momentum going on doing the job, you will be fine - get it done, and get it done well. Before you know it, it will be behind you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think you'll be all set with no worries. Have you had it apart yet or will this be your first time taking the tank off of it?
This will be the first time it has been off. I’ll be riding it the 110 miles for its 600 mile service, and discussing the issue with the service manager, and hopefully making it back home. Then I will disassemble it and meticulously clean the tank and fuel pump. This internal tank inspection will become part of this ATAS’s scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This will be the first time it has been off. I’ll be riding it the 110 miles for its 600 mile service, and discussing the issue with the service manager, and hopefully making it back home. Then I will disassemble it and meticulously clean the tank and fuel pump. This internal tank inspection will become part of this ATAS’s scheduled maintenance.
Sounds like a solid plan. Reach out if you run into any questions. It wasn't as daunting as it first seemed to me once I figured out the order of operations.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve been watching this thread since I got my ATAS ES DCT June 13. I have put 5k miles on it since then, including a 4,300 mile loop from Olympia, WA to Denver, CO. and back. 10 days of riding with one 710 mile day. Several days were high desert with temps near 100F. Negotiated several high speed passes when I needed to hit 90mph. I haven’t had a single negative incident with the bike. I kept up with this thread so I could handle the problem if/when it occurred but so far, nothing. Seems it’s inevitable from what I’ve read here but...

641 - 660 of 720 Posts