Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Has your 2018-2020+ Africa Twin Adventure Sports experienced fueling/idling/stalling/loss of power?

  • Yes. I have had the dealership/Honda resolve the issue(s) under warranty at no cost.

  • Yes. The dealership resolved it for me, but my warranty was expired and I had to pay out of pocket

  • Yes. I have had these issues, but resolved the problem on my own and Honda is not aware.

  • No. I have not had these issues, but I took precautionary measured (Guglatech Filter, etc.)

  • No. But I am concerned that I will have this issue down the road.

  • I have contacted Honda about my concerns

  • I have filed a Safety Defect Report with NHTSA or other regulatory agency per Owners Manual


Results are only viewable after voting.
761 - 772 of 772 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
From my (too many) conversations with Honda they claim that they have identified what they substance is (zinc oxide) and have given their dealers specific guidelines. They claim the issue is that the dealers are independently owned and while they can provide specific guidelines, they can't force the dealers to follow them. So as a result some alter them or do something altogether different.

That info is from American Honda, for whatever that is worth :)

As for the Guglatech filter, they have told me that they don't think it is a viable solution on its own as that filter will also eventually become clogged with the particulate if the tank isn't thoroughly scrubbed to eliminate it. (Kicking the can down the road?)

My dealer has said much the same. They didn't see the point in the Guglatech filter. They said until you get rid of all the particulate it will just start blocking the filter sock. Once you get all of it out, the regular filter is just fine.

Guglatech filter is worth adding imho, but the root problem still needs to be dealt with before adding it I believe.


Also, take the latter for whatever it is worth. Just passing on what they have shared.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
there is a finite amount of particulate, and the guglatech covers such a large surface area, it would never plug off so badly that the gas wouldn't have a clear path in
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
1,785 Posts
there is a finite amount of particulate, and the guglatech covers such a large surface area, it would never plug off so badly that the gas wouldn't have a clear path in
I agree with the first point, there is a finite amount. I am not sure I agree with the second part. There has been enough to clog my filter twice now and that is with a tank cleaning/scrubbing in between the two fuel pump replacements. The particulate still needs to be dealt with first.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
I agree with the first point, there is a finite amount. I am not sure I agree with the second part. There has been enough to clog my filter twice now and that is with a tank cleaning/scrubbing in between the two fuel pump replacements. The particulate still needs to be dealt with first.
A clogged sock and a low tank of petro? Agreed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I agree with all the points here about kicking the can down the road, so to speak. But I don't really trust the dealership - nor myself, frankly - to scrub out all the places this stuff can hide without effing something up (fuel level floater, for example). There is no actual and official process for this. Technically the process should be to not heat a zinc-coated metal with an arc welder, but that's Honda's problem and I can't solve it from here.

So for the time being my plan of record is to add pulling the tank and checking out the particulate on the sock filter (and maybe inside it) once every 6 months or so, eventually annually. Yes, there is a finite amount of this stuff and this will drop off at some point. This is annoying but the bike is still amazing and it's still the best option for a bike for my kind of riding.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
1,785 Posts
This is annoying but the bike is still amazing and it's still the best option for a bike for my kind of riding.
That's the crux of it. If I didn't like the bike so much I would be putting it behind me and making a deal on something else. But this is my second AT and aside from this annoying and frankly dangerous issue, I still love it.

Talking to the warranty guy at my dealer yesterday, he was just shaking his head in disbelief that this has been going on 3 years and Honda hasn't come up with a tank redesign in that time.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
annoying and frankly dangerous issue
That's a valid point of view, to be sure. Another might be to look at this as another level of required maintenance for the bike, even if it's unconventional and a bit irritating. All bikes are dangerous if not maintained properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I agree with the first point, there is a finite amount. I am not sure I agree with the second part. There has been enough to clog my filter twice now and that is with a tank cleaning/scrubbing in between the two fuel pump replacements. The particulate still needs to be dealt with first.
agreed, get it cleaned out as much as possible first. i did about 5 rise /repeats, until there were only trace particles, then installed the sock. has been flawless ever since, i'll have a more informed report when i check it again when the tank is off for valve adjustment. without the guglatech, all the suction is focussed on that small little pre-filter foot, which is why it doesn't take much to clog it. with the guglatech, even with a low tank, the probability of gunking off the entire circumference of the guglatech, to the point where it can't pass sufficient fuel, would be extremely low, you'd need a slurry of particulate to do that, because there is not a focussed suction point like there is with the tiny little prefilter foot. if one is contemplating not using a guglatech because there is a 1% chance it could still clog, but a 99% chance it won't, would advise to give the bike the best chance of success with the sock
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
1,785 Posts
That's a valid point of view, to be sure. Another might be to look at this as another level of required maintenance for the bike, even if it's unconventional and a bit irritating. All bikes are dangerous if not maintained properly.
But this isn't a maintenance that anyone should have to do it ever be expected to do. A vehicle that can suddenly and without warning sputter, lose power and stall is simply not safe.

If you have one of those "life flashes before your eyes" moments when it suddenly looses power mid pass, I don't think you would give them a pass on it being "required maintenance." Especially when it happens to a bike with less than 3K miles.

I certainly don't, especially when they don't require it as part of their maintenance and add the disclaimer "Warning, failure to remove your tank and fuel pump and clean the filter screen every 3,000 could lead to sudden and unexpected deceleration or stalling resulting in serious injury or loss of life."

Nah, no pass. There isn't a automobile made that wouldn't be subject to a recall if this condition existed. It's mind boggling that a major motorcycle manufacturer has gotten away with it for so long.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
 
761 - 772 of 772 Posts
Top