Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Has your 2018-2020+ Africa Twin Adventure Sports experienced fueling/idling/stalling/loss of power?

• Yes. I have had the dealership/Honda resolve the issue(s) under warranty at no cost.

• Yes. The dealership resolved it for me, but my warranty was expired and I had to pay out of pocket

• Yes. I have had these issues, but resolved the problem on my own and Honda is not aware.

• No. I have not had these issues, but I took precautionary measured (Guglatech Filter, etc.)

• No. But I am concerned that I will have this issue down the road.

• I have contacted Honda about my concerns

• I have filed a Safety Defect Report with NHTSA or other regulatory agency per Owners Manual

Results are only viewable after voting.
881 - 900 of 911 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,479 Posts
I’d say that’s not far from the truth, if not spot on. I’ve heard similar things in regard to a number of other industries. Our numbers just don’t factor here.
... but our government tax credits do for overseas corporations until the tap is turned off (I don't want to get started). Soon after the layoffs begin. :(

But, there is the AT to compensate with some joy. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,479 Posts
I’d say that’s not far from the truth, if not spot on. I’ve heard similar things in regard to a number of other industries. Our numbers just don’t factor here.

EDIT: I'll give an example of scale; I used to use this one when teaching theory classes to commercial driving students...might be a bit outdated now but the statistical comparison was that the southern California basin uses more diesel fuel every year than all of Canada combined. And of course because of California environmental legislation heavy truck manufacturers only build to suit California laws...in other words if they can't sell it in Cali...they don't make it at all. Same goes for the bulk of firearms manufacturing, very, very rarely, if ever do we get a US made, unique to Canada model firearm. Like truly never.

So why would Honda be any different??? Corporate juggernauts couldn't give a crap about Canada.
Sure. In a broader scale, California's GDP is twice that of all of Canada. :cry:

In a corporate bike sense: Take Aprilia - or more precisely - Piaggio Canada circa 2009. Corporate Piaggio is out of Italy, but the "one of the hands" that feeds it is Piaggio America. Remember: I am writing about 2009 here. In short, they closed Piaggio Canada (thus affecting Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Vespa, Piaggio, etc. owners in Canada). They simply said the Canadian market is too small. Get your parts from Piaggio America. Well, Canadians know what that means in terms of $$. This is an historical example of what you say. In retrospect, I am unsure how well Piaggio America is managed today.

I have been directly told that Honda Canada is most interested in ... (sigh), ... cage sales.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello from JAPAN.
For my ATAS fuel pump, I exchanged the assembly 3 times. After the second replacement, the gas tank was coated. However, the filter clogging cannot be resolved. After coating, the white flakes disappeared, but the black sand-like substance (brush soot?) generated from the fuel pump started to clog the filter after running 5000 km. Cleaning the filter will recover it, but the root solution has not been resolved.

I think ATAS is experiencing two issues at the same time: flakes on the petrol tank and low quality fuel pumps.

It was discovered this summer. The company's finances are blazing with the recall of about 5 million cars around the world in the case of DENSO's low-quality fuel pump for cars (impeller material defect).

I think , In the automotive industry that shares parts, it will be necessary to investigate whether this case has a relationship with HONDA's fuel pumps.

• Aug 23, 2019 ODD 43948km First Exchange
  • Apr 4, 2020 ODD 62142km Second exchange. Tank seal processing
  • June 26, 2020 ODD 62700km Third exchange. Breakdown at travel destination
  • Sep 2,2020 ODD 67960km Filter cleaning (↓article photo). Current

Some of the black soot passes through the pre-filter (strainer) and the main filter is turned black. You can see the difference from the outside (only 5,000 km)

May the ATAS be with you!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hello from JAPAN.
For my ATAS fuel pump, I exchanged the assembly 3 times. After the second replacement, the gas tank was coated. However, the filter clogging cannot be resolved. After coating, the white flakes disappeared, but the black sand-like substance (brush soot?) generated from the fuel pump started to clog the filter after running 5000 km. Cleaning the filter will recover it, but the root solution has not been resolved.

I think ATAS is experiencing two issues at the same time: flakes on the petrol tank and low quality fuel pumps.

It was discovered this summer. The company's finances are blazing with the recall of about 5 million cars around the world in the case of DENSO's low-quality fuel pump for cars (impeller material defect).

In the automotive industry that shares parts, it will be necessary to investigate whether this case has a relationship with HONDA's fuel pumps.

View attachment 57340 View attachment 57341

View attachment 57342
This is a troubling development.........

·
Administrator
1,893 Posts
Hello from JAPAN.

In the automotive industry that shares parts, it will be necessary to investigate whether this case has a relationship with HONDA's fuel pumps.

View attachment 57340 View attachment 57341

View attachment 57342
Thank you for the update and excellent photos. It is definitely not good news for us ATAS owners.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thank you for the update and excellent photos. It is definitely not good news for us ATAS owners.
This could be why they've been jumping to replace fuel pumps when one might not think it necessary...just a thought. It would also be cheaper than paying to clean every ATAS fuel tank brought in with this problem...I'm sure they've already busted the suppliers [email protected] over this and cut a massive break for themselves. It would also give the appearance of doing "something" of significance and value.

EDIT: The shop labour rate at my dealer is $140/hr.

·
Administrator
1,893 Posts
This could be why they've been jumping to replace fuel pumps when one might not think it necessary...just a thought.
Honda has been fairly consistent about scrubning the tanks and replacing the fuel pumps I believe.

What they have been inconsistent on is replacing the fuel injectors. In addition to scrubbing the tank and replacing the fuel pump and gasket on mine (×2), I also had both fuel injectors replaced both times.

A lot of folks are saying that Honda did not replace their fuel injectors. I am told by the ⁸guy I spoke with at Honda that it isn't part of the Honda guidelines as a remedy and was done at my dealers discretion. I am not sure if that's true or not. Obviously the dealer would have to have it approved by Honda to replace them under warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Honda has been fairly consistent about scrubning the tanks and replacing the fuel pumps I believe.

What they have been inconsistent on is replacing the fuel injectors. In addition to scrubbing the tank and replacing the fuel pump and gasket on mine (×2), I also had both fuel injectors replaced both times.

A lot of folks are saying that Honda did not replace their fuel injectors. I am told by the ⁸guy I spoke with at Honda that it isn't part of the Honda guidelines as a remedy and was done at my dealers discretion. I am not sure if that's true or not. Obviously the dealer would have to have it approved by Honda to replace them under warranty.
In my case, at the time of the first exchange,
1, fuel pump assembly
2, change 2 injector nozzles
3, change plug cap

was replaced, but from the second time only the fuel pump Assy was replaced.
From my experience, I think there is little possibility of trouble with the injector.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmmm, so arguably based on @TETSUHIRO 's observations, even the non-ATAS (i.e. the standard ATs) could be affected over longer mileage.
As additional information

When I released 2018 ATAS, I changed from 2016 model (70000 km) to 2018 ATAS. Therefore, both models have more than 100,000 km of driving experience for four years.

When my fuel pump broke down, my friends (owners of AT and ATAS) got together and checked own AT. As a result, all six ATAS were similarly dirty with flakes and black soot and were not 100% full gas fuel

The filters for the three 16 and 17 models (over 30000 km each) were black and the soot was dirty. However, there were no problems in fuel supply compared to ATAS. (However, after cleaning the filter, the engine condition has improved.)

Therefore, it is possible that ATAS exceeded its initial filter capacity faster than expected due to the effects of tank flakes.

In any case, the fuel filter is a consumable item and should be replaced sooner or later. However, in the case of ATAS, another factor (fuel tank flakes) seems to be a problem at the moment, unfortunately.

ATAS owners should expect HODNA to respond faster by recognizing and addressing this potential problem.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Denso fuel pump problems have been affecting many different auto manufacturers besides Honda including some European makes, I have not heard of any motorcycles being affected. Not all Denso pumps are at issue. The problem is that the plastic impellers when they were manufactured, were exposed to a solvent cleaner for too long and it caused the impellers to distort and crack the surface of the plastic. When the pumps were assembled with the warped and damaged impellers, the impellers would rub the housings and wear out or possibly break and stop the pumps from supplying fuel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I'm not sure, but I would like to know the true identity of the black soot that seems to come from the fuel pump. I would like the manufacturer to check whether it is the contact brush of the pump or the soot produced by abrasion of the invera.:D

·
Registered
194 Posts
TETSUHIRO,
How high is the ethanol in the petrol? In the attached report you can read what ethanol is doing with the pump. I think the Ethanol is also a big issue. If you are not driving regular the ethanol will go to the lower part of the tank so all part are in pure ethanol. The tank is made of galvanized steel and that is a bad combination with ethanol. It would not surprise me that it will be the same for the fuelpump. Last week a was at a dealer of Citroen there was a half year old car and the valves where also black. The mechanic told be that he got several car have this problem and in most case the owners drive short distances. He say go back to regular petrol it will protect you from troubles.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,479 Posts
It is nearly impossible to reasonably fill with non-ethanol fuel during the cold season in Canada. You can find it, but you will pay dearly for it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well, I'm not sure, but I would like to know the true identity of the black soot that seems to come from the fuel pump. I would like the manufacturer to check whether it is the contact brush of the pump or the soot produced by abrasion of the invera.:D
In my case, I never saw any black soot get past the filter sock. Here is a pic of the motor housing. Another pic of the motor housing with the regulator pulled off.

Attachments

881 - 900 of 911 Posts