Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Has your 2018-2020+ Africa Twin Adventure Sports experienced fueling/idling/stalling/loss of power?

• Yes. I have had the dealership/Honda resolve the issue(s) under warranty at no cost.

• Yes. The dealership resolved it for me, but my warranty was expired and I had to pay out of pocket

• Yes. I have had these issues, but resolved the problem on my own and Honda is not aware.

• No. I have not had these issues, but I took precautionary measured (Guglatech Filter, etc.)

• No. But I am concerned that I will have this issue down the road.

• I have contacted Honda about my concerns

• I have filed a Safety Defect Report with NHTSA or other regulatory agency per Owners Manual

Results are only viewable after voting.
901 - 911 of 911 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pic looking in the filter sock. Pic of the motor inlet. I'm not seeing anything get past the sock filter.
Thank you for information.
I think there are two cases regarding this fuel system failure.

One is the trouble caused by the processing of the tank.
One is the design problem of the fuel pump.

I will omit the flake of the tank and the sandy black soot (welding debris) because it is as discussed in the past topic.

Another possible source of fuel pump design is that fuel pump life is typically determined when the motor brushes reach their wear limit.

By design, the main filter filters impurities (black micropowder) from this pump, but in the case of a car, it will not clog even 100,000 km or 200,000 km. (Confirmation of micro-powder is evidenced by washing the strainer with a parts cleaner and turning it white. This powder passes through the strainer and accumulates in the main filter, which is normal operation.)

However, in the case of motorcycle filters, the filter life is short due to the small filter capacity. (*The filter of CRF1000 is the same as CBR250 and CRF250. Also, HONDA may judge that this is good from experience). In short, one of the causes may be that the filter is clogged with too much impurities from the pump (the cause of breakage earlier than the designed life?).

I can't tell if this is good or bad.

before

After rins

·
Registered
11 Posts
TETSUHIRO,
How high is the ethanol in the petrol? In the attached report you can read what ethanol is doing with the pump. I think the Ethanol is also a big issue. If you are not driving regular the ethanol will go to the lower part of the tank so all part are in pure ethanol. The tank is made of galvanized steel and that is a bad combination with ethanol. It would not surprise me that it will be the same for the fuelpump. Last week a was at a dealer of Citroen there was a half year old car and the valves where also black. The mechanic told be that he got several car have this problem and in most case the owners drive short distances. He say go back to regular petrol it will protect you from troubles.
Thank you information.This is valuable information.
In Japan, there are two types of gasoline. High-octane (RON=96 or above) and regular (RON=89 or above) gasoline.
In Japan, regular gasoline "Biogasoline" mixed with bioethanol (alcohol made from plants) has been sold since the end of April 2007.
The "biogasoline" sold in Japan is a mixture of regular gasoline and 7% bio-ETBE. (In Japan, it is allowed to mix ETBE with gasoline up to 8%.)

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Right, I agree that there would be some wear and tear on the fuel pump. That maintenance is required but not specified in the owners manual. You are looking for a supplier other than Denso?

Thank you for information.
I really like this pump, but there are no stores in Japan where I can buy it directly. I am worried because it will be expensive if it is imported:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Update: Picked up the bike from the shop today. The work order is still open and the dealer is submitting the invoice to Honda; I didn't have to open my wallet. Communication was less than stellar and finally got it all straight from the service manager. No pics of the filter but I was shown a pic that was taken of the inside of the pump housing and there was white and black crap in it. Apparently the tank was inspected but no pics were taken or provided and the tech did not report any thing significant. Also, no pump was installed as originally reported but the filter (strainer) has been replaced. They said there is an internal filter in addition to the strainer (I wasn't aware of that but I'm no expert) and he said that was cleaned and the unit re-installed.

So all in all, I'm not satisfied that the problem is solved. However, the process of working with the dealer and Honda has been started and for that I'm grateful. There is white crap flaking in the tank, but to what degree, who knows? The shop said there was some white crap but it wasn't "bad". The tank has not been cleaned to my knowledge which from everything I've read here and elsewhere....means this ain't over yet. Going from the pics in this thread alone it's obvious that the strainer doesn't even have to be heavily coated with the stuff to cause problems.

Next decision is to install the Guglatech right away or wait a bit? The work order is still open so I think it might be wise to wait a bit and see where this goes. The manager said that in his experience Honda would not look favorably on the Guglatech and could try to use it as a way to get out of a warranty claim. I am waffling. I'm also thinking, screw it...just clean it, install the Guglatech and get on with life.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Took the bike on a 500+km hike yesterday. A couple backfires and a couple times attempting to rap the throttle for a downshift produced no power...mostly within the first 15 minutes of operation. Seemed to smooth out after that. Later on, I did notice what I suspect is a slight lack of power and it seemed to take longer to wind up the RPM's on the highway the few times I really pinned it. Off the line and the initial banging through the gears had what I thought was the expected amount of torque and take off...if there is a lack there, it wasn't too noticeable.

I'm not the type to wind out every gear, I'm more of a hit the top of the torque curve and shift kinda guy. I'll call the service manager @ the dealer on Tuesday and report my findings and see what they have to say. The experience first thing in the morning definitely set me to wondering if my plans for the day were a mistake, fortunately all else was fine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
This sound like a high ethanol concentration in the bottom of your tank. Try to find petrol without bio ethanol then you can see or the ethanol is problem. You can also add a product like Putoline E10 Fuel Fighter 250ML in your tank(25ml on 25liter)

·
Registered
109 Posts
This sound like a high ethanol concentration in the bottom of your tank. Try to find petrol without bio ethanol then you can see or the ethanol is problem. You can also add a product like Putoline E10 Fuel Fighter 250ML in your tank(25ml on 25liter)
I’ve been making a point of using Shell or Chevron mid grade which is the lowest ethanol content you can find here...at least according to everything I’ve read. I’ve been wondering about ethanol for the issues that seem to be affecting the ATAS...it seems there are a few ideas floating around with regard to the potential affects of ethanol on these tanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,479 Posts
Top tier Shell gasoline claims to be ethanol-free. I am not convinced the Honda AT behaves better compared to when regular grade gasoline is used. Nevertheless, burn the top tier fuel and eventually one will come to realize why there is no stash left to buy tire replacements. ¯\(ツ)/¯

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm not convinced of anything at this point. In more modern vehicles I've never been able to discern a difference in performance from one gasoline brand or octane to another. The only time was way back, long ago my Mustang would knock sometimes under heavy acceleration burning regular gas. The only argument that I've heard in recent times that makes any sense to me at all is that ethanol may be hard on plastic and rubber parts. I'm no chemist but I understand there are certain combinations of plastics that don't fair well in the long term in ethanol. So, I've been avoiding ethanol of late in the hope that I might avoid any other annoyances associated with fuel.

As someone stated in this thread (I think) that the AT being an adventure bike should burn any gas thrown in it...I'd have to give hearty agreement to that statement. Provided there is adequate and appropriate filtration...fuel of any grade shouldn't be an issue for a bike with the pedigree of the Africa Twin.

901 - 911 of 911 Posts