Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Has your 2018-2020+ Africa Twin Adventure Sports experienced fueling/idling/stalling/loss of power?

• Yes. I have had the dealership/Honda resolve the issue(s) under warranty at no cost.

• Yes. The dealership resolved it for me, but my warranty was expired and I had to pay out of pocket

• Yes. I have had these issues, but resolved the problem on my own and Honda is not aware.

• No. I have not had these issues, but I took precautionary measured (Guglatech Filter, etc.)

• No. But I am concerned that I will have this issue down the road.

• I have contacted Honda about my concerns

• I have filed a Safety Defect Report with NHTSA or other regulatory agency per Owners Manual

1021 - 1040 of 1088 Posts

·
Administrator
1,987 Posts

Honda responded to the NHSTA investigation on Oct 9th. Sadly only the cover letter is available and not their findings.

Interesting tid bit

"ODI also learned that Honda implemented a fuel tank cleaning improvement campaign in mid-production (March 6, 2020) as a result of these failures. ODI is not aware of any complaints in the population of bikes manufactured after this production change was implemented."
Well, that's a bunch of BS. I told them specifically that mine was cleaned and that it didn't resolve the issue and was back into the dealer 2500 miles later for round 2 of tank cleaning, fuel pump and fuel injectors X 2 replacement.

Bunch of nonsense. If only cleaning the tank was the long term solution....

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, that's a bunch of BS. I told them specifically that mine was cleaned and that it didn't resolve the issue and was back into the dealer 2500 miles later for round 2 of tank cleaning, fuel pump and fuel injectors X 2 replacement.

Bunch of nonsense.

I read that as bikes manufactured after that date have had the tanks properly treated, not bikes manufactured prior and repaired in the wild.

·
Administrator
1,987 Posts
I read that as bikes manufactured after that date, not bikes manufactured prior and repaired in the wild.
I get it, but I am not buying Honda's statement that cleaning the tank is a long term solution. It's still the same tank and still the same problem.

Honda told me after clearing the tank that the cleaning would resolve the issue and that I would have no further problem with it after that. Yep, that promise didn't age well :)

I have a feeling it is building up a 3rd time, I have to have the tank replaced due to damaging the original. I will be finding out sometime in November one way or the other. It feels sluggish and down on power.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I suspect that 'Cleaning during the manufacturing process' would involve something very different to what a dealer could do. It's infuriating that the factory knew 6 months ago that there was a serious problem in the field but still treated customers like idiots by denying it (at first). However, my guess is that the factory would not do half a fix. In other words they would know that the same bikes were coming back into dealers after the supposed cleaning of the tanks, so my guess is 'cleaning' on the production line will mean something very different. (But maybe I'm giving Honda too much credit).
Mike

·
Administrator
1,987 Posts
I suspect that 'Cleaning during the manufacturing process' would involve something very different to what a dealer could do. It's infuriating that the factory knew 6 months ago that there was a serious problem in the field but still treated customers like idiots by denying it (at first). However, my guess is that the factory would not do half a fix. In other words they would know that the same bikes were coming back into dealers after the supposed cleaning of the tanks, so my guess is 'cleaning' on the production line will mean something very different. (But maybe I'm giving Honda too much credit).
Mike
I hope that you are correct, but I think you give Honda too much credit. Honda was well aware of the issues with the 2018/19 models when they released the 2020 models with the same issue to it's customers.

With any luck the replacement tank that I will be getting will have had Hondas new cleaning process done and be problem free. But I am not counting on it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hit up a couple of the 2020 ATAS reviews on YouTube with negative comments regarding this issue and a link back to this thread to counter the narrative from the reviewers of how perfect the bike is performing. I’m gonna do it again. Those comments were quickly shuffled down the page. If many of us engaged the same social media that Honda relies on for PR and kept this issue at the top of those comments we may get even more traction from Honda. BTW, have done over 5000 miles since I installed the Guglatech and not a single problem even when running the tank down to less than .25 gallons.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cleaning the tanks is not a solution and only pushes the issue down the road which Honda knows. The tanks are galvanized or "coated" in manufacturing for a reason so when "cleaned" to remove the coating on the weld areas affected by flaking there is now potential for rust to form.

My 18 ATAS (out of warranty) is affected with the symptoms and some very sketchy moments due to the cutting out. I performed a tank inspection, tank cleaning, fuel pump cleaning, Guglatech fuel pump sock and documented the process thoroughly with photos, just haven't had a chance to edit and post yet. Also because I am still not satisfied with the results I have an aftermarket Quantum fuel pump to install and original injectors to be cleaned/rebuilt wtith documented before/after flow rates. I will be forwarding all of this to the NHTSA as well.

Not to go into too much detail until I can post the entire process with all the photos but here is what I discovered in my fuel tank. The seat bracket welds (terrible!) appear to be the area most affected with the flaking and there is one spot on the weld that looks like it had blow through and possibly a pin hole. Other photos will show it better and also the fuel pump assembly and filter with all the debris.

At this point, I am not interested in spending a dime with Honda until this issue is resolved to satisfaction at no cost to the owner.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
My guess (hope?) is that this supposed 'cleaning process on the production line' is in fact a reversion to the process they used in 2016 onwards for manufacturing the smaller tanks. I'm hanging on to my (small tanked) 2018 standard AT until there is a definitive solution to the problems with the big tanks.
Mike

·
Administrator
1,987 Posts
Cleaning the tanks is not a solution and only pushes the issue down the road which Honda knows.
That of course is my worry as well. The above cover letter says that "ODI is not aware of any complaints in the population of bikes manufactured after this production change was implemented." But that means pretty much nothing. It could take several thousands of miles for an issue to present even if Honda did nothing different. Pushing the issue down the road perhaps they buy several thousands of miles more, but that doesn't seem to me to be a "fix." Rather a stall for an issue to a process that really needs an overhaul.

And of all us s̶̷u̶̷c̶̷k̶̷e̶̷r̶̷s̶̷ .. err customers who have purchased bikes in 2018 to early 2020 range who continue to have problems and issues? What is Honda doing for those tanks? Just saying "Well we cleaned it and replaced the fuel pump so all good now?" Except it isn't good and these bikes continue to have problems.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
we should be able to identify VIN numbers of bikes made since March, then find out if any of those bikes have suffered the tank problems
Mike

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
Cuchulainn said:
And of all us s̶̷u̶̷c̶̷k̶̷e̶̷r̶̷s̶̷ .. [ ☜ (↼_↼) I've always liked these little treats you insert from time-to-time ] err customers who have purchased bikes in 2018 to early 2020 range

·
Registered
107 Posts
Odometer passed 5,600 miles yesterday. Still no problems. Dealer told me a couple months ago he would scope my tank but I haven’t taken him up on it. Frame VIN sticker on mine says 4/20 (manufactured April 2020?). Is it possible mine was ‘fixed’ before it shipped?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Odometer passed 5,600 miles yesterday. Still no problems. Dealer told me a couple months ago he would scope my tank but I haven’t taken him up on it. Frame VIN sticker on mine says 4/20 (manufactured April 2020?). Is it possible mine was ‘fixed’ before it shipped?
Based on the ODI statement, no bikes manufactured from March have been involved in complaints.

1021 - 1040 of 1088 Posts