Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Has your 2018-2020+ Africa Twin Adventure Sports experienced fueling/idling/stalling/loss of power?

• Yes. I have had the dealership/Honda resolve the issue(s) under warranty at no cost.

• Yes. The dealership resolved it for me, but my warranty was expired and I had to pay out of pocket

• Yes. I have had these issues, but resolved the problem on my own and Honda is not aware.

• No. I have not had these issues, but I took precautionary measured (Guglatech Filter, etc.)

• No. But I am concerned that I will have this issue down the road.

• I have contacted Honda about my concerns

• I have filed a Safety Defect Report with NHTSA or other regulatory agency per Owners Manual

1041 - 1060 of 1088 Posts

·
Registered
2019 ATAS
4 Posts
I'm yet another to fall prey to this issue. With about 2000 miles on my 19 ATAS, I was heading out of St. George, UT to the north rim of the GC when I started losing power. Luckily I was in a caravan and was able to load her up in my buddies truck. Got on the phone with HBHonda.com and they said it may be vapor lock. Once we got to the campsite I opened the tank, fired her up and she revved out ok so I decided to try my luck and ride back after our weekend campout. Made it from the North rim almost all the way to Vegas and it started doing it again on I-15 in traffic! Not fun! I loaded her back up in the truck and got her home. I ordered the Guglatech Filter Kit and took her into HBHonda.com and explained what I had read on this forum and others. They of course had never heard of this issue but were willing to check it out (I bought the full warrantee) and said they would install the filter no problem.

Well, I got her back from them today and low and behold this is what they found:

They rinsed the tank many times to get the crap out and installed the kit. I sure hope it works! Cheers!!

·
Registered
2019 ATAS
4 Posts
Sorry to learn you are now a member of this "Elite Forum Thread".

Nevertheless, you are among a growing concern, and for what it's worth: Welcome to the Forum @Viking.

= = =

Too bad your Forum introduction is the monster inside the fuel tank, versus the wonderful beast that it feeds. :confused:
Thanks for having me. I’m just glad there’s a fix for this issue because I love this machine!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for having me. I’m just glad there’s a fix for this issue because I love this machine!
I love mine too. Fortunately, I’ve not had this problem and since mine was manufactured in April , 2020 maybe I won’t...
The only thing I don’t love is apple CarPlay. The connection is inconsistent. Functionality is funky. Maybe I’ll learn it better with practice. Maybe it will get better with future updates. But, I didn’t buy it for that. I really don’t care if it never works.

·
Super Moderator
4,134 Posts
I love mine too. Fortunately, I’ve not had this problem and since mine was manufactured in April , 2020 maybe I won’t...
The only thing I don’t love is apple CarPlay. The connection is inconsistent. Functionality is funky. Maybe I’ll learn it better with practice. Maybe it will get better with future updates. But, I didn’t buy it for that. I really don’t care if it never works.
Good attitude dallas. After many years, the digital full screen console will be an obsolete bane anyway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm putting the bike down for the winter. I revisited the Guglatech install. It's been 5 months, the bike now has 4,9xx miles. Couldn't be happier with this fix. I'm not seeing anything to talk about. Nope, I didn't find any slug zilla's in my tank. JK🤣😝

Attachments

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm putting the bike down for the winter. I revisited the Guglatech install. It's been 5 months, the bike now has 4,9xx miles. Couldn't be happier with this fix. I'm not seeing anything to talk about. Nope, I didn't find any slug zilla's in my tank. JK🤣😝
Hmmmm ... that is interesting. What conclusions can we draw from the photos. No evidence of any debris on the critical parts so (y) but no evidence of any debris on the guglatech either 🤷‍♂️and yet the ends of those two welds that curve towards each other in one of the pics look loaded with deposits that seem about to come off.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
4,134 Posts
Right, So I just swabbed both those welds at the curve. Filter against a white backdrop. The tank is Anarchy, the bike has ran flawless since the install.
Does the swab suggest normal tank weld corrosion?

I can't imagine any filter blocking that particulate out. It will likely be a part of combustion, and possibly the piston rings. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
9 days?! No more problems? Or, did Honda pay everyone off to drop the subject?😧 Where is everyone? I need to know if Honda comes up with a solution.... I have a 2016 DCT and holding off on the new ATAS until it's resolved. So, please, keep it coming😎👍. BTW, long time lurker here, long time inmate on Advrider. Hi:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
9 days?! No more problems? Or, did Honda pay everyone off to drop the subject?😧 Where is everyone? I need to know if Honda comes up with a solution.... I have a 2016 DCT and holding off on the new ATAS until it's resolved. So, please, keep it coming😎👍. BTW, long time lurker here, long time inmate on Advrider. Hi:)
My ATAS ES DCT was apparently manufactured April 2020. It has 5,600 miles and no sign of the tank problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My ATAS ES DCT was apparently manufactured April 2020. It has 5,600 miles and no sign of the tank problem.
Good to hear, but... No sign in behavior, or no sign of the stuff in the tank on visual inspection? Unfortunately, as we have learned here, the fact that the bike runs great, does not guarantee that there is no problem in the tank waiting to happen:(

·
Super Moderator
4,134 Posts
Welcome to the Forum @windowto.

1041 - 1060 of 1088 Posts