Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Has your 2018-2020+ Africa Twin Adventure Sports experienced fueling/idling/stalling/loss of power?

• Yes. I have had the dealership/Honda resolve the issue(s) under warranty at no cost.

• Yes. The dealership resolved it for me, but my warranty was expired and I had to pay out of pocket

• Yes. I have had these issues, but resolved the problem on my own and Honda is not aware.

• No. I have not had these issues, but I took precautionary measured (Guglatech Filter, etc.)

• No. But I am concerned that I will have this issue down the road.

• I have contacted Honda about my concerns

• I have filed a Safety Defect Report with NHTSA or other regulatory agency per Owners Manual

1241 - 1260 of 1299 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
Here is a little taste of the Gold Rush Trail through BC and up to the Yukon from a few trips this summer. If you are inclined and your AS fuel tank has been properly cleaned, fuel pumps rebuilt and Guglatech condom installed (clever tie in to this thread) you can do vast sections on dirt along the original gold rush routes.

Splendid.

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
99 Posts
Just adding this here for general info. My dealer called today to schedule me bringing in my 2019 ATAS for the fuel tank cleaning and filter rebuild/replacement per the Honda USA recall.
That sounds like a great dealer. Who is it? I doubt the dealer that in the last three years I have bought two new motorcycles from will call me. In 2017 a Gold Wing and in 2020 my ATAS ES DCT. I even take mine to them for service. A 220 mile round trip. All three dealers in this area are all about the same distance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Went to my dealer last week. Told them of the recall, had my vin. Was told to come back when I receive paper work from honda. I asked if they wanted to order parts now and was told no parts available yet. Ok then....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi

In the process of adding fog lights and crash bars so I removed the side panels for the wiring and decided to remove the tank and have a look inside, this is what I found after 5200 km on a new ATAS. Talked to my dealer who said there is a recall coming but can’t tell me when.
I will let them check everything and possibly change the pump and once it’s back, in goes my Guglatech filter and sock.
Really disappointed with Honda, but I love this bike so the disappointment should eventually fade away 🤦🏻🙋🏻‍♂️

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
99 Posts
Hi

In the process of adding fog lights and crash bars so I removed the side panels for the wiring and decided to remove the tank and have a look inside, this is what I found after 5200 on a new ATAS. Talked to my dealer who said there is a recall coming but can’t tell me when.
I will let them check everything and possibly change the pump and once it’s back in goes my Guglatech filter and sock.
Really disappointment with Honda, but I love this bike so the disappointment should eventually fade away 🤦🏻🙋🏻‍♂️
View attachment 59531 View attachment 59532
Good for you Grumpee, for taking the time to look.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi

In the process of adding fog lights and crash bars so I removed the side panels for the wiring and decided to remove the tank and have a look inside, this is what I found after 5200 km on a new ATAS. Talked to my dealer who said there is a recall coming but can’t tell me when.
I will let them check everything and possibly change the pump and once it’s back, in goes my Guglatech filter and sock.
Really disappointed with Honda, but I love this bike so the disappointment should eventually fade away 🤦🏻🙋🏻‍♂️
View attachment 59531 View attachment 59532
My dealer said they would install the Guglatech filter at no charge during the recall service. You may be able to save the hassle and ask yours as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCMN-20V797-8397.pdf#page=1
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCMN-20V797-8397.pdf#page=2
December 15, 2020 Re: STOP SALE NOTICE: 2018-2019 CRF1000L2/D2 and 2020 CRF1100L4/D4 (AFRICA TWIN ADVENTURESPORTS MODELS)

Dear Honda Dealer:Honda is issuing a STOP SALE NOTICE on ALL 2018-2019 CRF1000L2/D2 and CERTAIN 2020 CRF1100L4/D4(Africa Twin Adventure Sports) motorcycles to repair a fuel filter clogging issue. Contaminants present in the fueltank can clog the fuel filter. A clogged fuel filter can cause the motorcycle’s engine to stall, increasing the risk of acrash or injury.ONLY Africa Twin Adventure Sports models (large capacity fuel tanks)are affected by this STOP SALE.Standard Africa Twin models are not affected.Effective immediately, you MUST NOT SELL any affected NEW or USED 2018-2019 CRF1000L2/D2 or CERTAIN2020 CRF1100L4/D4 (Africa Twin Adventure Sports) motorcycle until it is repaired according to the associatedService Bulletin.AFFECTED UNITSAny NEW or USED 2018-2019 CRF1000L2/D2 and CERTAIN 2020 CRF1100L4/D4 (Africa Twin Adventure Sports)motorcycle.To search for applicable recalls on a specific unit, use Unit Information on iN.To manage your affected inventory, use eResponsibility Report.SERVICE BULLETINService Bulletin Multiple Model: CRF1000/1100 #1, which includes all of the information relating to this SafetyRecall, will be available on iN by Tuesday, December 22, 2020.PARTS INFORMATIONParts will be available through the normal parts ordering process beginning December 22, 2020. See Service BulletinMultiple Model: CRF1000/1100 #1 for parts information.CUSTOMER NOTIFICATIONAmerican Honda intends to mail customer letters to all owners of affected 2018-2019 CRF1000L2/D2 and 2020CRF1100L4/D4 (Africa Twin Adventure Sports) motorcycles in January 2021. Customers will be informed that theirmotorcycle may be affected by a safety related defect and will be advised to make an appointment with anauthorized Honda dealer for repair.Make sure all departments in your dealership are aware of this Safety Recall.If you have any questions, please contact AHM TechLine through TechLine Connect on iN or contact your DistrictService Manager.Sincerely, American Honda Motor Co., Inc.Sent on12152020Expires on01152021FromAmerican Honda Powersports ProductsSubjectSTOP SALE NOTICE: 2018-2019 CRF1000 and CERTAIN 2020 CRF1100 Africa TwinINTERACTIVE NETWORKAmerican Honda Motor Co., Inc.Page 1 of 2

Powersports Division MTB 17665 (2012)INTERACTIVE NETWORKAmerican Honda Motor Co., Inc.Page 2 of 2

·
Registered
24 Posts
OMB Control No.: 2127-0004Part 573 Safety Recall Report 20V-797The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573Manufacturer Name : Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)Submission Date :DEC 17, 2020NHTSA Recall No. :20V-797Manufacturer Recall No. : KL4Manufacturer Information :Manufacturer Name :Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)Address :1919 Torrance Blvd.Torrance CA 90501Company phone : 1-888-234-2138Population :Number of potentially involved : 2,690Estimated percentage with defect :100 %Vehicle Information :Vehicle 1 :2020-2020 Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin Adventure SportsVehicle Type :Body Style : Power Train : NRDescriptive Information :The recall population was determined based on manufacturing records. The production range reflects all possible vehicles that could experience the problem. All vehicles produced within the dates of manufacture ranges specified above are affected. As a process improvement, fuel tanks now undergo an additional cleaning process to remove contaminants after welding has been completed. The number of affected units is 521.Production Dates : AUG 28, 2019 - MAY 27, 2020VIN Range 1 :Begin :NR End :NRNot sequentialVehicle 2 :2018-2018 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Adventure SportsVehicle Type :Body Style : Power Train : NRDescriptive Information :The recall population was determined based on manufacturing records. The production range reflects all possible vehicles that could experience the problem. All vehicles produced within the dates of manufacture ranges specified above are affected. As a process improvement, fuel tanks now undergo an additional cleaning process to remove contaminants after welding has been completed. The number of affected units is 1,292.Production Dates : MAR 20, 2018 - JUL 24, 2018VIN Range 1 :Begin :NR End :NRNot sequential

Page 2Part 573 Safety Recall Report 20V-797The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573Vehicle 3 :2019-2019 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Adventure SportsVehicle Type :Body Style : Power Train : NRDescriptive Information :The recall population was determined based on manufacturing records. The production range reflects all possible vehicles that could experience the problem. All vehicles produced within the dates of manufacture ranges specified above are affected. As a process improvement, fuel tanks now undergo an additional cleaning process to remove contaminants after welding has been completed. The number of affected units is 877.Production Dates : AUG 30, 2018 - MAR 27, 2019VIN Range 1 :Begin :NR End :NRNot sequentialDescription of Defect :Description of the Defect : Zinc oxide, generated in the fuel tank manufacturing/welding process, can contaminate the fuel and clog the fuel filter.FMVSS 1 :NRFMVSS 2 :NRDescription of the Safety Risk :Under these conditions, the engine could potentially stall, increasing the risk of a crash.Description of the Cause : NRIdentification of Any Warning that can Occur : NRInvolved Components :Component Name 1 :Fuel Filter AssemblyComponent Description :CRF1000LComponent Part Number : 16700-MKK-D22Component Name 2 :Fuel Filter AssemblyComponent Description :CRF1100LComponent Part Number : 16700-MKK-E21

·
Registered
24 Posts
Please forgive the formatting. Copy and paste from the NHSTA site is not straight forward:).

573.6(c)(3)Total number ofpotentially affected vehicles:2,690573.6(c)(4)Percentage of affected vehicles that contain the defect:100%Make/ModelModel YearDates of ManufactureNumber of VehiclesHonda CRF1000L Africa TwinAdventure Sports201803/20/2018 –07/24/20181,292Honda CRF1000L Africa TwinAdventure Sports201908/30/2018 –03/27/2019877Honda CRF1100L Africa TwinAdventure Sports202008/28/2019 –05/27/2020521ModelPart NumberCRF1000L16700-MKK-D22CRF1100L16700-MKK-E21

573.6(c)(5)Defect description:Zinc oxide,generated inthe fuel tank manufacturing/weldingprocess,can contaminate the fuel andclogthe fuel filter. Under these conditions, the engine could potentially stall,increasing the risk of a crash.573.6(c)(6)Chronology:August –September2018 Honda received a report of engine hesitation/stallingunder acceleration with a clogged fuel filter and debris in the fuel tank, respectively, in the U.S. and Canadamarketsand began an investigation.October –December2018 Investigationswere closed,as Honda was unable to identify the root cause.March 28, 2019 Honda received a report of contaminated fuel in the fuel tank from the Mexico market.June –July 2019Honda received initial reports of engine stalling/hesitation from the UK, Italy, and Japan markets.August 2019Honda received three reports for engine stalling/hesitationin the U.S. One report identified a clogged fuel filter and the other two reports identified fuel pumpfailure.October 2019Honda received two additional reports offailed fuel pumpsin the U.S.June –December 2019Honda investigated and analyzed the issuesbut did not identify a root cause.January –May 2020Honda identifiedthat zinc oxide was present in the fuel tank as a result of different welding methods, and undertook further investigation.March –May 2020Honda received three additional reports for engine stalling/hesitation that were related to, respectively, cloggedfuel filter causing engine bogging and stallingand a failed fuel pumpin the U.S.June –August 2020Honda received 18 additionalclaims and reports on the issueinthe North Americanand European markets.September –November 2020Honda analyzed and reviewed the increase in occurrences to identify the population of potentially affected vehicles.

December 10, 2020Honda determined that a defect related to motor vehicle safety exists and decided to conduct a safety recall.As of December 10, 2020, Honda has received 180warranty claims, 74field reports, andnoreports ofcrashes or injuriesrelated to this issue.573.6(c)(8)(i)Program for remedying the defect:Registeredowners of all affected vehicles will be contacted by mail and asked to bringtheir vehicle to anauthorized Honda motorcycledealer. The dealer will drain, clean the fuel tank,and replace the fuel filterassembly, for free.Owners who have paid to have these repairs completed at their own expense will be eligible for reimbursement, in accord with the recall reimbursement plan on file with NHTSA.573.6(c)(8)(ii)The notification date to dealers:December 15, 2020The estimated date to start notificationsto owners:February 15, 2021573.6(c)(10)Representative copies of all notices, bulletins and other communications:A copy of the dealer service bulletin, the final customer notification letter and other dealer communication will be submitted to your office as soon as possible.A draft of the owner notification letter will be submitted to your office as soon as possible. 573.6(c)(11)Manufacturer’s campaign number:KL4

·
Registered
266 Posts
What I am surprised about when reading the service bulletin that there is no procedure for actually cleaning any loosened oxides off the welded areas. The only cleaning is just shaking the tank to consolidate already loose particles. I suspect that on may occasions this will not be sufficient to solve the problem if you have not had all of the oxides come loose in the tank yet. I can foresee a couple of trips to the dealer to have this done as these particulates come loose over time.

Dan

·
Registered
126 Posts
This does NOT include fuel pump replacement. The only benefit is you get the other fuel filter in the white plastic housing.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
What I am surprised about when reading the service bulletin that there is no procedure for actually cleaning any loosened oxides off the welded areas. The only cleaning is just shaking the tank to consolidate already loose particles. I suspect that on may occasions this will not be sufficient to solve the problem if you have not had all of the oxides come loose in the tank yet. I can foresee a couple of trips to the dealer to have this done as these particulates come loose over time.

Dan
Yeah, the video seems to suggest to cradle 'n' dance with your tank. Maybe praying is involved?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yeah, the video seems to suggest to cradle 'n' dance with your tank. Maybe praying is involved?
I was looking at the Transport Canada recall notice. It says 608 bikes are affected in Canada. It doesn't say whether that is the number of Adventure Sports models sold in Canada or the total number shipped to Canada. Hoping the letter from Honda arrives before the next season is underway.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
73 Posts
That cleaning process sure appears to be a slosh and pray method... I might just ask if I can have the parts and I will scrub the affect areas myself. I use to shake the tank more than that on my KLR when I was low on fuel.🤣
I would have liked to see them use some alcohol or vinegar or anything that might help release the Zinc Oxide!!! Maybe the mechanics are bored and lonely... they just want to see us more often.

1241 - 1260 of 1299 Posts