Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Has your 2018-2020+ Africa Twin Adventure Sports experienced fueling/idling/stalling/loss of power?

• Yes. I have had the dealership/Honda resolve the issue(s) under warranty at no cost.

• Yes. The dealership resolved it for me, but my warranty was expired and I had to pay out of pocket

• Yes. I have had these issues, but resolved the problem on my own and Honda is not aware.

• No. I have not had these issues, but I took precautionary measured (Guglatech Filter, etc.)

• No. But I am concerned that I will have this issue down the road.

• I have contacted Honda about my concerns

• I have filed a Safety Defect Report with NHTSA or other regulatory agency per Owners Manual

1261 - 1280 of 1299 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
That cleaning process sure appears to be a slosh and pray method... I might just ask if I can have the parts and I will scrub the affect areas myself. I use to shake the tank more than that on my KLR when I was low on fuel.🤣
I would have liked to see them use some alcohol or vinegar or anything that might help release the Zinc Oxide!!! Maybe the mechanics are bored and lonely... they just want to see us more often.
:ROFLMAO:

I noticed in the video the demonstrator switched to one knee down. I think that is key to the procedure.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
73 Posts
Definitely must be the key... that way, he is planted with the earth... it allows the Zinc Oxide to exit your tank, pass through the mechanic and return to its rightful resting place in the soil under the shop floor. The rubber soles of his boots were isolating him. Sounds promising!!! 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
How can one tell the year AND the month of manufacture by the VIN? Not hijacking, just thinking if I could find a 2020 model that is past this recall. I don't want the 2021 because of the color choice (only black here in USA). I know some have stickers with the date of manufacture (my 2016 does), but, I think, others don't.

Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
How can one tell the year AND the month of manufacture by the VIN? Not hijacking, just thinking if I could find a 2020 model that is past this recall. I don't want the 2021 because of the color choice (only black here in USA). I know some have stickers with the date of manufacture (my 2016 does), but, I think, others don't.

Thanks
On my 2019 the VIN label is on the down tube between the radiators. "2019 MODEL" is below the VIN and to the right in the lower corner of the label is "1/19" That should be the date of manufacture. A 2020 label should be similar.

·
Registered
73 Posts
On my 2019 the VIN label is on the down tube between the radiators. "2019 MODEL" is below the VIN and to the right in the lower corner of the label is "1/19" That should be the date of manufacture. A 2020 label should be similar.
Stole the word off my keyboard...

Look in the circle...

·
Registered
2017 Duke 690, 2019 versys 1000 SE LT+
14 Posts
My negotiations with the dealer for a 2020 afas are, of course, on hold. Has anyone coated their tank with a sealant? I had a 1967 honda cb450, 'black bomber', and when I finally found an original 'whale' tank for it, the rust inside the tank was bad, really bad. I cleaned and scrubbed the inside with solvent and ball bearings. I sealed it with Kreem. Never had a problem. I ran an inline fuel filter and never saw anything in it.

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
270 Posts
Position 10 of the vin númber is mode year or build year but you can not see which week. There is a week number on the sticker.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does anyone have over 12/19 in that area? I obviously just assumed it was the month as well. In my case it would work both ways for my.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yea, my 2016 has it too, but I remember reading a discussion somewhere that not everyone had it. If I am searching for a bike remotely, I can't see the sticker. I'd have to ask the sales person to take a pic.

Thank you

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yesterdays posts from the NHSTA site state that a stop sale order has been issued for all affected units, new or used. Just send that to dealers you are working with. They'd be hard pressed to sell you a unit they legally can't sell and will likely end up just figuring it out on your behalf if they want your money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last step in the safety recall service bulletin:

"29. Re-fill the fuel tank with the fuel removed in the initial removal procedure."

I hope that the service technicians performing this repair will instead put some fresh, debris free gasoline in our newly cleaned tanks...

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
270 Posts
Bill you are right for motorcycles and cars they use month/year. On a lot of parts it is week/year. On my bike there is no month/year like on the bike of TheMkoi.

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
270 Posts
Today I inspected my tank or there was some corrosion coming on the weldings after I have cleaned the tank 7 days ago. It is look good no corrosion in the tank it is clean and I installed the g-“condom”build everything back Bike is running fine. It seems that zinc oxide is making a layer on the steel so that it is more protected against corrosion.
This was the the left over in the petrol after flushing it:
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
8 Posts
That sounds like a great dealer. Who is it? I doubt the dealer that in the last three years I have bought two new motorcycles from will call me. In 2017 a Gold Wing and in 2020 my ATAS ES DCT. I even take mine to them for service. A 220 mile round trip. All three dealers in this area are all about the same distance.
I’m in Oregon, so I go to Bob Lanphere’s Beaverton Honda Motorsports. The people there from service to parts to sales are all pretty good, so far. It’s the first bike I’ve purchased from them so limited experience, but others have said the same.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bill you are right for motorcycles and cars they use month/year. On a lot of parts it is week/year. On my bike there is no month/year like on the bike of TheMkoi.
Hmmm, maybe it is a Canadian requirement for the VIN plate?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Last step in the safety recall service bulletin:

"29. Re-fill the fuel tank with the fuel removed in the initial removal procedure."

I hope that the service technicians performing this repair will instead put some fresh, debris free gasoline in our newly cleaned tanks...
In one of the documents it mentions 6 gallons of new fuel included in the recall:).

1261 - 1280 of 1299 Posts