Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Has your 2018-2020+ Africa Twin Adventure Sports experienced fueling/idling/stalling/loss of power?

• Yes. I have had the dealership/Honda resolve the issue(s) under warranty at no cost.

• Yes. The dealership resolved it for me, but my warranty was expired and I had to pay out of pocket

• Yes. I have had these issues, but resolved the problem on my own and Honda is not aware.

• No. I have not had these issues, but I took precautionary measured (Guglatech Filter, etc.)

• No. But I am concerned that I will have this issue down the road.

• I have contacted Honda about my concerns

• I have filed a Safety Defect Report with NHTSA or other regulatory agency per Owners Manual

1281 - 1300 of 1301 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Today I inspected my tank or there was some corrosion coming on the weldings after I have cleaned the tank 7 days ago. It is look good no corrosion in the tank it is clean and I installed the g-condom build everything back Bike is running fine. It seems that zinc oxide is making a layer on the steel so that it is more protected against corrosion.
This was the the left over in the petrol after flushing it:
View attachment 59589
Hi Frank,

Wow, a lot of dirt, or am I mistaken? This is the dirt from how many litres of fuel?

Did you flush it like the Honda Service Bulletin says, 4 litres (1 gallon) of fuel, and shake it a lot of times?

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
270 Posts
I used first nylon brush to clean the weldings then I flush with 1 gallon. Then I drained it cleaned fuel trough a coffee filter the. I flushed for a second time cleaned the fuel again and that picture was from the last flush. I looked inside with and didn,t see any parts left.
I have filtered all fuel before I put it back in the tank. Hopefully the Honda dealers will also do this.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
Today I inspected my tank or there was some corrosion coming on the weldings after I have cleaned the tank 7 days ago. It is look good no corrosion in the tank it is clean and I installed the g-condom build everything back Bike is running fine. It seems that zinc oxide is making a layer on the steel so that it is more protected against corrosion.
This was the the left over in the petrol after flushing it:
View attachment 59589
lol - Page shows warning: Clickable content is for age 18 and over. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
73 Posts
That came up for me as well... I was surprised to click on it and still see a "dirty" picture!!!! Bwahahahaha...

Sorry, I had too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi

I did my own cleaning yesterday because I'm sure my dealer won't be meticulous about it. I used a gallon of vinegar which I let soak for around 30 minutes, turning the tank regularly to reach everywhere. I then rinsed with a mix of distilled water and baking soda. Did 4 complete flush of the tank with water and then put a air dryer to it for an hour to get all the humidity out.

I took the fuel pump assembly apart. There where no signs of any particles getting past the filter, either at the pump and the pressure regulator. Installed my Guglatech filter and sock, put everything back together and filled the tank with fresh gas. I'll let the dealer do his own inspection when I go for my oil change at the beginning of the season, but at least now I know everything is good. Whatever is left should be removed by the dealer??

Initially:

After cleaning:

·
Registered
19 Posts
You didn't mechanically touched the welds?
Nope, I started mechanically at first but couldn't reach the corner welds properly, so I checked on Youtube and found a video with the use of vinegar. You can see the vinegar dislodge the flux. It's important once you've finished rinsing that you air dry and fill back up with fuel (i added fuel conditionner to it), because the bare welds will start to rust quickly.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The parts are in for my recall service. I've asked the shop for photos of the fuel that comes out and before/after photos of the welds. We'll see if that happens. Hopefully all goes well.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
73 Posts
The parts are in for my recall service. I've asked the shop for photos of the fuel that comes out and before/after photos of the welds. We'll see if that happens. Hopefully all goes well.
That is awesome news.

Did you call to start the recall or did you get notified via email?

I haven't received any emails from Honda.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Administrator
2,113 Posts
That is awesome news.

Thanks,

Matt
My dealer called me in regards to it. He started, "you probably aren't aware, but Honda issued a recall for your bike model..." I had to tell him I was well aware and that this forum was on it from the beginning :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
That is awesome news.

Thanks,

Matt
I've been on them about it since I bought the thing a year ago, so they knew I was expecting to hear from them. I am not sure how they are dealing with other customers.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That is awesome news.

Thanks,

Matt
I am still waiting to hear from Honda. When I check the Honda web site for recalls for my VIN, it states there is an outstanding recall but details are not available yet. The dealer says they have not heard of a recall on the ATAS bikes. The Transport Canada site states Honda will contact affected owners by mail. I may have to call Honda to find out a status for my recall.

1281 - 1300 of 1301 Posts