Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Has your 2018-2020+ Africa Twin Adventure Sports experienced fueling/idling/stalling/loss of power?

• Yes. I have had the dealership/Honda resolve the issue(s) under warranty at no cost.

• Yes. The dealership resolved it for me, but my warranty was expired and I had to pay out of pocket

• Yes. I have had these issues, but resolved the problem on my own and Honda is not aware.

• No. I have not had these issues, but I took precautionary measured (Guglatech Filter, etc.)

• No. But I am concerned that I will have this issue down the road.

• I have contacted Honda about my concerns

• I have filed a Safety Defect Report with NHTSA or other regulatory agency per Owners Manual

1541 - 1560 of 1560 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am new the the African twin. Can someone recap this 78 page post for me? I on a 2021 as dct. I am at 2,100 miles and haven’t had any issues yet but the bike has only been in service for a little over a month now. Anything I should be looking for ? I am still under warranty.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Went to the local cafe on the bike at lunch and almost straight away the bike started to lag almost like it was starving of fuel NOOOOOOOO!

Although When I came back out to it 30 mins later it was ok
Maybe I better think about pulling the fuel pump and fitting the fuel pump protection system.

Is there anything else I should order whilst Im at it ?

bike is 2019 adventure sport Just over 5000 miles on the clock View attachment 73720
Has the recall been performed on your bike?

The Guglatech Mazinga fuel pump filter sock will come with a new fuel pump strainer but you should replace the fuel filter assembly / housing as well since you're already there.

Fuel filter assembly #5 on the diagram: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2018/crf1000a2-4ac/fuel-tank-fuel-pump-2

·
Registered
852 Posts
Went to the local cafe on the bike at lunch and almost straight away the bike started to lag almost like it was starving of fuel NOOOOOOOO!

Maybe I better think about pulling the fuel pump and fitting the fuel pump protection system.

bike is 2019 adventure sport Just over 5000 miles on the clock View attachment 73720
Have the dealer check the VIN to see if the recall was completed. If not, have Honda take care of the recall at Honda's expense. Then consider the fuel pump and filters.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has the recall been performed on your bike?

The Guglatech Mazinga fuel pump filter sock will come with a new fuel pump strainer but you should replace the fuel filter assembly / housing as well since you're already there.

Fuel filter assembly #5 on the diagram: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2018/crf1000a2-4ac/fuel-tank-fuel-pump-2
I have no idea if the warranty work has been done on the bike
I have owned it for around 2 months
will check with the honda garage.

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
360 Posts

Sorry to hear you are possibly having the fuel system issues. I re-used the fuel pump assembly seal. However, my bike was only a month old with less than 700 miles on it. I would not want a leak from my tank in that area. Search through this thread and find the fuel filter element. I bought three from the aftermarket vendor. The other item is the Guglatech prefilter sock. I bought nylon bristle brushes to tape on a semi rigid wand bendable sort of thing to scrub up in those hard to reach areas. I bought 3 gallons of clean kerosine for the rinsing and scrubbing. Be careful what happens to now contaminated kerosine. I don’t know if anything that likes to burn that stuff. It might not be easy for you to dispose of it, so there might be something better. I rinsed the kerosine away with clean gasoline. I still have those fuel cans marked for disposal. Being proactive prevented me from having any issues.
Although, with all that being said, you should be able to have this all done under recall? I did all of this before there even was a recall. When the shop did the recall they reinstalled the Guglatech filter. You might be able to just hand your purchased one to them. Hope you get it taken care of while you can still ride this season.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry to hear you are possibly having the fuel system issues. I re-used the fuel pump assembly seal. However, my bike was only a month old with less than 700 miles on it. I would not want a leak from my tank in that area. Search through this thread and find the fuel filter element. I bought three from the aftermarket vendor. The other item is the Guglatech prefilter sock. I bought nylon bristle brushes to tape on a semi rigid wand bendable sort of thing to scrub up in those hard to reach areas. I bought 3 gallons of clean kerosine for the rinsing and scrubbing. Be careful what happens to now contaminated kerosine. I don’t know if anything that likes to burn that stuff. It might not be easy for you to dispose of it, so there might be something better. I rinsed the kerosine away with clean gasoline. I still have those fuel cans marked for disposal. Being proactive prevented me from having any issues.
Although, with all that being said, you should be able to have this all done under recall? I did all of this before there even was a recall. When the shop did the recall they reinstalled the Guglatech filter. You might be able to just hand your purchased one to them. Hope you get it taken care of while you can still ride this season.
Thanks for the post
At the moment the bike is running great, so Im hoping it was just bad fuel
I am still going to check with the dealer to see if a recall was done on the bike.
Will also order the Guglatech system, should be a nice job for later in the year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My bike has been to the dealer 4 times with fuel related issues. 1st time dealer said they did recall, don't know what the did since it only took 30 minutes. Bike had only ever had 1 hiccup before this dealer touched it. Since it has never ran right, intermittently spits stalls and backfires like it is fighting for fuel. 2nd time new dealer redid recall and confirmed tank was dirty as well as filter clogged, changed filter sent me on my way. 3rd time bike still ran like it was starved for fuel the did fuel pump and said I should not have any issues. Very next ride spitting and backfiring though intake no change. 4th visit bike has been at dealer since 9th of July and they said piston is covered in carbon, cylinder is scored and compression is 25% lower than spec. Bike is out of warranty but was still in warranty during first recall and all other recalls covered by honda. Dealer said it will be 750 to pull head to see how deep scoring is. Has anyone had a similar issue? Bike is bone stock has 13k miles and primarily used to comute to and from work 75 miles a day. Oil change done at 600 then every 5k air filters changed at 10k. No other service done

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
360 Posts
My bike has been to the dealer 4 times with fuel related issues. 1st time dealer said they did recall, don't know what the did since it only took 30 minutes. Bike had only ever had 1 hiccup before this dealer touched it. Since it has never ran right, intermittently spits stalls and backfires like it is fighting for fuel. 2nd time new dealer redid recall and confirmed tank was dirty as well as filter clogged, changed filter sent me on my way. 3rd time bike still ran like it was starved for fuel the did fuel pump and said I should not have any issues. Very next ride spitting and backfiring though intake no change. 4th visit bike has been at dealer since 9th of July and they said piston is covered in carbon, cylinder is scored and compression is 25% lower than spec. Bike is out of warranty but was still in warranty during first recall and all other recalls covered by honda. Dealer said it will be 750 to pull head to see how deep scoring is. Has anyone had a similar issue? Bike is bone stock has 13k miles and primarily used to comute to and from work 75 miles a day. Oil change done at 600 then every 5k air filters changed at 10k. No other service done
If at all possible, pick it up and take it to another dealer. Confirm that the recall was actually done. Get online to the Honda Powersports site and file the complaint with them in detail with dates. I bet you have been using a lousy Honda shop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If at all possible, pick it up and take it to another dealer. Confirm that the recall was actually done. Get online to the Honda Powersports site and file the complaint with them in detail with dates. I bet you have been using a lousy Honda shop.
I've been in contact with honda powersports and they are of no help. It took a week of calling from me and the dealer to have them escalate my issue to a manager and get a call back. The first dealer I brought the bike to was absolutely garbage but the second dealer has been helpful. They are a powerhouse dealer and seem to be getting the run around fron Honda.

·
Administrator
4,209 Posts
Same here. Finally took time to calculate how long my bike has been in the shop sine I've owned it and as of today it is 112 days
I can appreciate the problems that you continue to have with yours. I had my 2019 in for fuel/tank related issues 3 times including the recall. I continued to have issues with it after that, some similar to what you described.

I don't want to go into a lot of drama and details, but I recently made the decision to part ways with the 2019 ATAS, leaving the 2017 as the lone AT. That one, thankfully has never given us any issues :)

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can appreciate the problems that you continue to have with yours. I had my 2019 in for fuel/tank related issues 3 times including the recall. I continued to have issues with it after that, some similar to what you described.

I don't want to go into a lot of drama and details, but I recently made the decision to part ways with the 2019 ATAS, leaving the 2017 as the lone AT. That one, thankfully has never given us any issues :)

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Can't say I blame you there. Sadly this has ruined Honda as a whole for me. I may have an insight and crf300l up for sale soon

·
Registered
38 Posts
Decided today was the day I was going to strip the tank off and fit the Guglatech filter
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Blue Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

I also replaced in fuel filter assembly as the filter inside cannot be removed/cleaned Gas Font Paint Concrete Stain
Circuit component Eyewear Material property Audio equipment Gas

Automotive tire Wheel Gas Tire Engineering
The inside of the tank is in good condition, no bits of shite floating around that I could see, which was great it put my mind at rest. Hood Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Liquid Automotive design
Liquid Water Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

However, the bottom of the housing had a few bits but nothing major and wipe around and clean with petrol and all was good. Textile Headgear Mesh Wood Woolen
Fluid Wood Soil Chemical compound Mixture
Fluid Ingredient Metal Auto part Automotive design

I think the whole job was around 2 hours, that's stripping the bike and inspecting everything before putting it back together.
Glad it's all done.
I can sleep better knowing it is sorted

·
Registered
606 Posts
I love it when a plan comes together.(y) How many miles on your ATAS? If you still encounter any stalling or hesitation issue it would be worth having the fuel injectors cleaned.

Looking closer, if you look at the curved welds in the second in tank photo, that white residue on the edges of the welds is what is flaking off. I used a green Scotchbrite pad cable-tied to the end of a long pry bar to scrub those welds. Not really an issue of getting into the fuel pump with the Guglatech filter now though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I love it when a plan comes together.(y) How many miles on your ATAS? If you still encounter any stalling or hesitation issue it would be worth having the fuel injectors cleaned.

Looking closer, if you look at the curved welds in the second in tank photo, that white residue on the edges of the welds is what is flaking off. I used a green Scotchbrite pad cable-tied to the end of a long pry bar to scrub those welds. Not really an issue of getting into the fuel pump with the Guglatech filter now though.
Cheers for the advise Nomadic,
Did think about scrubbing the tank out, but as there was next to no flakes I thought just leave it for now.

The bike has done just over 6.5k it had 4k on it in June this year when I got it.

1541 - 1560 of 1560 Posts