Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Let's start from the start. I ride and love my 2018 ATAS- it's one super bike, but I had some weird behavior happen last week. We were leaving network of trails and I had about less than a gallon of fuel left in the tank. We pull to the main road and I hit the throttle in second gear but the bike just would not accelerate. It felt as if there is no power. We pulled to the gas station. I filled it up with new non ethanol 91 gas and all seemed good from there. Then, on the way home at 475 miles from it. I tried to overtake a car on highway and at 4K RMP and about 50 MPH in 4th it did it again and again after few seconds same issue. It wants to go, but there is no power. I pull to the gas station. Pump cheapest 87 (10% ethanol) gas and put half a can of seafoam in the tank. Hit the highway back again and no issues. runs like a champ. Get down on gas to about a quarter. Pull off the highway and hit it on the ramp. at 6K in 2nd there is a little hesitation, but not a big deal. Put more 87 gas and the rest of seafoam. Ran like a top all the way home.
Now what could it be? Bad gas? 91 no ethanol gas? Computer glitch? Bike has 5K on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's the lining from the inside of the tank peeling off and clogging the fuel filter. Somewhat well documented in the ATAS at this point, people have been successful in having it covered under warranty as well. As long as you keep more than about 1.5 gallons in the tank it doesn't seem to be an issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the lining from the inside of the tank peeling off and clogging the fuel filter. Somewhat well documented in the ATAS at this point, people have been successful in having it covered under warranty as well. As long as you keep more than about 1.5 gallons in the tank it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Wow this seems like a serious issue. Wonder if the dealer would take a look at this as part of warranty. Any links to threads on this subject?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow this seems like a serious issue. Wonder if the dealer would take a look at this as part of warranty. Any links to threads on this subject?
Not sure if it's well enough documented to where the dealership won't want to try and replicate the issue, but here are a couple posts to start you out. Shouldn't be all that hard to replicate at the dealer either if you've got less than about 1.5 gallons in the tank.

Post #2136 starts some discussion on ADV that goes on to the next page as well. There's been more discussion about it earlier on in that thread as well, that's just the most recent mention that I remember.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/2018-africa-twin-adventure-sports.1265710/page-107

And a couple from this forum as well:
https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/113-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin-general-discussion-forum/35121-fuel-starvation-tank-vacuum.html
https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/177-engine-technical-discussion/34381-rev-limit-fuel-light-issue-atas-very-far-away-place.html

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Good to know I wonder if they addressed that issue, lol i managed to get one of the last three warehouse available 2018 ATAS in the US not the last dealer available 18 ATAS but the last ones shipped in by Honda and could be ordered by a dealer, that doesn’t necessarily mean it was last off the production line but I would imagine it was darn near the end of their production run at least. Be interested to know if you could lookup the vin number and production runs on bikes to see the exact date it was produced in comparison to the end run date.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
On a trip with my brand new ATAS. Yesterday near Moab it started missing like it was starved for fuel. Figured it may be bad gas with water and put in some heet alcohol and ran it today. 15 miles out of Monticello UT. It started missing and would only go 30 mph. Up the hills. So took it in to the Honda shop in Monticello and had it put on the computer. No fault codes came up. So filled up and set out for Durango Co. Ran fine till I got here and it’s startrd up again. The more throttle you give it the more it shuts down. So does this sound familiar with anyone on here? 2019 bike with 2k miles.

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
It sounds like everyone with a Sport is going to encounter this problem sooner or later. Honda shouldn't be waiting for people to claim under warranty. They should do a recall otherwise people are going to get caught out in the wilds somewhere, or worse have an accident because they can't get past something they were planning to overtake.
Mike

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well the last 2 days it ran fine. Maybe it was just some bad gas. However I cannot help but think this may crop up again. Went to the Handlebars Honda in Durango and they were nice enough to call Honda and start a warranty claim on it. I’m here in Colorado for a few days visiting and the I’m heading back to north Idaho. Hope it works.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well coming up the pass into Butte Mt. it did it again. I was going about 35 mph tops on the way up. So much for the bad gas theory. Called the dealer where I bought it and service guy said the problem needs to be duplicated for them to fix it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Well coming up the pass into Butte Mt. it did it again. I was going about 35 mph tops on the way up. So much for the bad gas theory. Called the dealer where I bought it and service guy said the problem needs to be duplicated for them to fix it.
Have you worked out whether it only happens when the tank is low-ish on fuel. I think I read that people with the lining peeling problem find it's ok with a full tank.
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this same issue on the return leg of a trip from Texas to Deadhorse Alaska. Had it checked out in Canada, they could find no codes and naturally it was running great. Limped back home, after discovering if I turned the bike off, let it sit for as few as 5 min, it would run fine again ( for a while).
Made it home called the dealer where I bought it, they said “ oh my gosh, we’ve not heard of any of the twins having a problem”. I called a dealer I know (about 200 miles away). Speaking with their lead mechanic, “he said it’s the fuel pump”. I hauled it to them, they ordered and installed a new fuel pump, no issues since.
I also blew both fork seals on the Dalton highway, they fixed those under warranty as well.
Bill
2018 ATAS DTC

·
Registered
71 Posts
The problem seems to occur when the fuel is low and air temperatures high. Also seems to happen after it’s been driven a while. I got it to do it yesterday so I stopped turned off the motor and opened the tank to vent it. It then ran another 30 miles to home before it started doing it again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Update. Well my bike has been in the dealers shop for 2 weeks now. They started work yesterday and they are going to replace the fuel pump. It had stuff in the tank like most of the other ATAS bikes. I’m glad something is finally happening on repairs. It had front wheel hop also at 30 mph. They said the front wheel was 1/2 oz out of balance and rebalanced the front wheel. Looks like I may get my bike back next week. Wooohooo!

·
Registered
71 Posts
After hearing atas fuel pumps were on backorder on another forum I called my dealer for an update on repairing my bike. Turns out my pump is back ordered as well. So it appears they may be available on August 17. Needless to say I’m not happy I am missing a third of my summer riding season.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.