Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've had my 2018 AT Adventure Sport (not DCT) for about a month now and I love it. My wife and I are planning a trip next month and I'm looking for some panniers and a top box to go on it. So far I'm having a hard time finding anything other than the Honda luggage that I feel confident will actually fit this bike. What do you all recommend for luggage for this 2018 model? I'm in the US so it seems like there might be luggage that fits it in Europe, but I was wondering if there was any system (hard or soft) that wouldn't have to be ordered from over seas.

Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello all,

I've had my 2018 AT Adventure Sport (not DCT) for about a month now and I love it. My wife and I are planning a trip next month and I'm looking for some panniers and a top box to go on it. So far I'm having a hard time finding anything other than the Honda luggage that I feel confident will actually fit this bike. What do you all recommend for luggage for this 2018 model? I'm in the US so it seems like there might be luggage that fits it in Europe, but I was wondering if there was any system (hard or soft) that wouldn't have to be ordered from over seas.

Thanks.
Bumot - speak to Jason at ADVmotorrad as his stock should be arriving very soon

Bumot Defender / Xtremada Pannier Systems for 2018 CRF1000 and CRF1000 Adventure Sport

·
Registered
361 Posts
SW Motech makes their rack for the ATAS. With adapters you can connect their panniers, or those from Givi and others.

The Honda boxes look good but don't hold much and are crappily made. A single drop at zero speed will destroy them.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I chose the OEM panniers for the following reasons:

1. no need for extra metallic case holders which mess with the aesthetics of the bike and adds weight
2. do not protude as much as any other after-market systems
3. overall cost is considerably less than any other after-market system
4. use the ignition key
5. reasonably rigid, but NOT rigid enough so that in a fall the impact would possibly affect the frame of the motorcycle. I totally prefer a broken pannier than damage to the motorcycle.

Of course they are not super big; 40lt the left and just 30lt the right one. But you cannot have it all. I kept from my previous bike the 58lt Givi Maxia which I will be installing soon, so I can compansate the loss vs the Givi e41s I had in my Varadero.

BTW, I do NOT do off-road, so I believe I should not have any issues with the OEM pannier; indeed their overal quality does not match the Honda reputation and definitely are quite far from the GIVI quality which I have tested for years (givi e41s, givi e21s and Givi Trekkers)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have 2016 AT manual 36,000 miles with no issues. I have the stock Honda bags , I’ve been on lots of dirt roads & single track rides , thru mud , sand , heavy rains, so far the bags have worked perfect. ????

·
Registered
361 Posts
I chose the OEM panniers for the following reasons:

1. no need for extra metallic case holders which mess with the aesthetics of the bike and adds weight
Yep.
2. do not protude as much as any other after-market systems
Yep.
3. overall cost is considerably less than any other after-market system
Considerably less, like 1/2 the price.
4. use the ignition key
Yep.
5. reasonably rigid, but NOT rigid enough so that in a fall the impact would possibly affect the frame of the motorcycle. I totally prefer a broken pannier than damage to the motorcycle.
You'll get to experience that, I predict. But I think there's a third option, in which a moderate fall does minimal or repairable damage to the pannier, and doesn't hurt the bike. That is not an option with OEM boxes.

Of course they are not super big; 40lt the left and just 30lt the right one.
Since I now have the SW Motech 37 and 45, I doubt the OEMs are even as large as they claim. I could fit my messenger bag and some gloves in the large OEM, but no gear at all. The SW Motech 45 holds airbag vest, Klim Badlands jacket, gloves, and other stuff.

BTW, I do NOT do off-road, so I believe I should not have any issues with the OEM pannie
You will if you tip the bike over, ever. I ended up switching to the SW Motech panniers after breaking three OEM boxes, two on zero-speed drops and one when a truck backed into the parked bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Carpimoto has a good selection of Givi racks and cases for the ATAS with quick and inexpensive shipping via DHL. My Givi rack, rear rack and plate, and toolbox arrived in 4 days from time of order. Install went reasonably smooth and the racks will work well with the Giant Loop soft panniers I have. Highly recommend dealing with Carpimoto.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all and thanks for the feedback.

I ended up purchasing side panniers, top box and tank bag from SHAD. These bags are very well designed and fit the 2018 ATAS beautifully. I just returned from a 1000 mile ride with my wife on the back and we love the luggage! It all un-clips really easily from the supplied racks and top box mount. The top box has an optional back rest for the passenger which is really nice and looks pretty sharp. Also the top box is expandable to three different sizes which is cool. these bags are not the cheapest option but comparable in price to the Givi bags that I was looking at and I like the less boxy, more European styling that they offer. Also they seem quite durable. I haven't dropped the bike on them to test them out and hopefully I never will but they don't feel flimsy at all.

I would definitely recommend checking them out if you're looking for some good luggage for your ATAS.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts