Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably too early to ask about what parts are interchangeable between 2016-2017 models and the new 2018 Adventure Sports model... but I'd be curious to try a few of the pieces starting with:

Tubular steel rack/grab handles (much nicer than the current plastic ones)
Tubular steel upper crash bars
Larger vertical dash
Larger fuel tank
LED signal/blinkers
Skid plate
Footpegs mounting bracket

Mine is 2017 Manual USA bike so it will be a while before we see the 2018 AS here at the dealers...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Probably too early to ask about what parts are interchangeable between 2016-2017 models and the new 2018 Adventure Sports model... but I'd be curious to try a few of the pieces starting with:

Tubular steel rack/grab handles (much nicer than the current plastic ones)

Tubular steel upper crash bars

Larger vertical dash

Larger fuel tank

LED signal/blinkers

Skid plate

Footpegs mounting bracket

Mine is 2017 Manual USA bike so it will be a while before we see the 2018 AS here at the

Spoke to technician about the tank and skid plate. We came to the conclusion that the whole front fairing would have to change to fit the bigger tank. This was with both 2017 and adventure sport side by side.

Not sure about the skid plate

·
Registered
800 Posts
Enjoy the current steed and buy the new one when available....probably cheaper than trying to make what you have into what you probably want.

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
294 Posts
I have heard from a reliable source the steel right peg bracket fits the '16-17 AT's.

Now, about that rack.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have heard from a reliable source the steel right peg bracket fits the '16-17 AT's.
I'm interested in this. I think a brace is a kludge and the best option is to have a mount that is built correctly, as such I'd like to replace my right foot peg mount with a stronger one that wont break. Is it the '18 AT mount, the '18 ATAS mount or are both the same? Any idea of price or availability of this part?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hello.

2018 ATAS have been available in S. Cal for at least 2 weeks.
The dealership I visited had both the manual and DCT.... Now the sad news
They are TALL

I won’t be getting one

Riding to Sedona for Fathers Day

Be safe

Min
Its just the seat that makes it tall, just buy the low seat

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
294 Posts
I still have yet to compare part numbers for the 2019(?) ATAS. Not seeing the bike listed at my usual websites. Will post a part number and price once I see it.

I'm interested in this. I think a brace is a kludge and the best option is to have a mount that is built correctly, as such I'd like to replace my right foot peg mount with a stronger one that wont break. Is it the '18 AT mount, the '18 ATAS mount or are both the same? Any idea of price or availability of this part?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Just buy the brace from CamelADV and go ride. The brace is no kludge. It's already engineered and works. Come with a guarantee too.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The brace is no kludge.
In what way isn't it a kludge?
You end up with a weak mount and a brace to protect it, what you should have is a strong mount and no need of a brace.
Then there is the issue of whether it would be a problem with my crash bars or skid plate.
I'd prefer a non-kludge solution, if possible.

·
Registered
743 Posts
In what way isn't it a kludge?
You end up with a weak mount and a brace to protect it, what you should have is a strong mount and no need of a brace.
Then there is the issue of whether it would be a problem with my crash bars or skid plate.
I'd prefer a non-kludge solution, if possible.
Shoulda woulda coulda. Honda didn't provide a centre stand or power outlet, their heated grips work but MEH not so hot. Footpegs are off the Grom. Install an aftermarket windscreen and the sun may melt your dash. Some have their spokes corrode, others their forks wear. Heavier riders bitch about under sprung and underdamped suspension. Still others claim the swingarm marks are out of alignment. Many bitch about helmet buffeting.
Fact is, some people worry about everything and everyone can find something to complain about yet the AT was bike of the year...

Take one 2017 Honda AT
Add SW Motech crash guards - tested with a couple of stupid drops and no paint hits. Able to remove all plastics with guards in place.
Add SW Motech bash plate - tested when it saved the engine cases - I hit a large rock and punched the bash plate into the right lower frame rail.
Add Barkbusters - tested while riding full lock circles on rough rocky gravel - oh the engine coughed and died which resulted in the drop. Honda please fix cough. Bars are now aiming left from the drop because of the rubber mounts - move to right full lock and reef on them - now straight :)
Add MRA X-creen sport to fix the helmet buffeting.
Add Double Take adventure mirrors for off-road convenience and crash compliance.
Add Camel ADV footage brace - it interferes with nothing except Black Dog pegs - but I bought cheaper IMS SS pegs for XR-650. Brace is not yet tested but good insurance
Put on some TKC80 rubber, an SWM centre stand (Honda's is stupid expensive) and an SWM ALU rack.
Personally install the Honda heated grip kit and a powerlet outlet in the dash, an Eastern Beaver 3-cct kit, Denali D2 lights. Get to know your bike.
Set the sag.
Add Touratech or Wolfman luggage and a Giant Loop tank bag.
Go ride pavement and gravel and 2-track or single track.
Fix what doesn't work for you. Don't obsess when it gets dirty or scratched or dropped.
Wear out the TKC80 rear and install a Mitas E-10. Rip that up on a rocky ride - might get 4,000km out of it now.
Cover the AT in dust and mud then wash it and cruise Starbucks.
Smile
Repeat.
Nothing is perfect. Judicious add-ons can make it nearly so... choose what works for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts