Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions would be appreciated as I don't want to be stuck with something that wont fit?

The bar mount I believe should be RAM-B-408-37-62U RAM Torque 3/8" - 5/8" Diameter Mini Rail Base with 1" Ball
Then I need a double socket arm, anyone have a recommendation on length?
Then I was planning on getting the RAM Universal X-Grip IV Large Phone/Phablet Holder w/ 1" Ball RAM-HOL-UN10BU which I think is designed to stay attached on rough terrain.

Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have exactly that bar mount, works fine. I have the RAM-B-201U-A short arm and the X-Grip Large Phone/Phablet holder.

I've had no problems and am very happy with the position of the phone while using it as a GPS navigator.

I have used it on the factory bar and now am using it on the Camel brace.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mine is a '17, I'm not sure if there is any different in the bar thickness, but it shouldn't matter as the mount has different inserts to allow it to work with different sized bars. I'm also unsure of what differences there are in the windscreen and bar between the '16-'17 and the '18 models.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is a '17, I'm not sure if there is any different in the bar thickness, but it shouldn't matter as the mount has different inserts to allow it to work with different sized bars. I'm also unsure of what differences there are in the windscreen and bar between the '16-'17 and the '18 models.

Hi
It's the location, as the windshield bar has less clearance from the shield so I think I'm going to need a longer piece.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well, I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+, it’s 6 3/8 in. x 3 in.

And it fits perfectly and securely in my “RAM Tough-Claw Mount with Universal X-Grip Large Phone Cradle for Plus Sized Phones.” Ram Mounts says it holds devices 1.75” to 4.5” wide and fits rails 0.625” – 1.5”.

It holds my phone securely. And it clamps to my handlebar very securely with a big finger turn screw and goes on and comes off easily—no tools or bolts, etc. I can’t imagine the clamp coming loose even in the roughest riding—you can really torque it down very tight. And the underside has rubber pads so it doesn’t mark up the handlebar in any way.

I only use the additional rubber harness when off-road, but probably don’t really even need it there. The spring-loaded “X-grip” is pretty tight all by itself and I've had no problems with my phone moving around while riding. And I never go anywhere without my phone in its cradle—I use it to open and close the garage door, text while riding, etc. ?

I've seen complaints of the grip messing with your volume control, but I find it easy to position my phone so that doesn’t happen with the phone still being well centered and secure.

I've had mine almost from the beginning and have had zero problems. I like that I can move the position of the mount if I want or need to—quickly and easily. But I pretty much leave it just to the left of my handlebar mounts.

Attachments

Reactions: MrRobb

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

And it fits perfectly and securely in my “RAM Tough-Claw Mount with Universal X-Grip Large Phone Cradle for Plus Sized Phones.” Ram Mounts says it holds devices 1.75” to 4.5” wide and fits rails 0.625” – 1.5”.

It holds my phone securely. And it clamps to my handlebar very securely with a big finger turn screw and goes on and comes off easily—no tools or bolts, etc. I can’t imagine the clamp coming loose even in the roughest riding—you can really torque it down very tight. And the underside has rubber pads so it doesn’t mark up the handlebar in any way.

I only use the additional rubber harness when off-road, but probably don’t really even need it there. The spring-loaded “X-grip” is pretty tight all by itself and I've had no problems with my phone moving around while riding. And I never go anywhere without my phone in its cradle—I use it to open and close the garage door, text while riding, etc. ?

I've seen complaints of the grip messing with your volume control, but I find it easy to position my phone so that doesn’t happen with the phone still being well centered and secure.

I've had mine almost from the beginning and have had zero problems. I like that I can move the position of the mount if I want or need to—quickly and easily. But I pretty much leave it just to the left of my handlebar mounts.

Thanks for the info I will consider that option, "text while riding, etc. ?" not really eh?
Cheers.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks for the info I will consider that option, "text while riding, etc. " not really eh?
Cheers.
Doesn’t everyone text and ride?

One of my favorite pastimes is to watch for those texting and driving, and then, when opportunity permits—at a stoplight, say—give them a ration of hẹll for so carelessly putting my life in danger. (Like those crusaders you see on YouTube, for whom this seems to be their raison d'être).

And when I'm done with my angry tirade, the first thing I do as I pull away from the intersection, and as I shake my head and glare at the culprit, is text my brother with a message about how reckless and thoughtless car drivers can be. The Ram Mount is so convenient!

In all seriousness, I do occasionally check my phone at long stoplights, with both feet on the ground and bike in neutral—perfectly reasonable, in my opinion. But I don’t text while riding.

Reactions: MrRobb

·
Registered
65 Posts
My set up is a RAM & QUADLOCK blend,ive got the RAM bar mount and the RAM double socket but ive bought the QUADLOCK 1" BALL attachment to fit the RAM socket and attach my phone,its a bit neater than the X-MOUNT in my opinion and still allows for multiple angle choices,just ssomething else for you to consider.

Cheers :smile2:

·
Registered
223 Posts
My set up is a RAM & QUADLOCK blend,ive got the RAM bar mount and the RAM double socket but ive bought the QUADLOCK 1" BALL attachment to fit the RAM socket and attach my phone,its a bit neater than the X-MOUNT in my opinion and still allows for multiple angle choices,just ssomething else for you to consider.

I totaly agree, The Quadlock lock case is great, offers great protection from dropping your phone, very quiuck & easy to mount & dismount the phone not like using the Xgrip & finding it a pain to use, getting in the way of my S8 buttons & the slow process of fitting & removing, Quadlock with the ram mount works best for me, my Xgrip is now sitting in a box somewhere in the shed never to be used again on a bike

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, after reading the recommendations for the Quad Lock case I looked into it. I wouldn't be comfortable with the universal mount, so I'll keep my X-Grip. But for my S7 Edge which is my current main navigation tool - there is a Quad Lock case available. I ordered that S7 Edge case & a 1" ball from Quad Lock and they arrived today, I'm quite impressed! The phone certainly wont fall out of the case and (unlike the X-Grip) there is no chance of the buttons accidentally being pressed. Especially important, the Quad Lock system feels very secure, I don't think I'll need to fear it coming unlocked on its own.

I'm now hoping that when I next upgrade (thinking about the Samsung Galaxy Note 10, not an issue until almost a year from now) that Quad Lock will make a case for that phone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah ive also got the dedicated S7 Edge Quadlock case,been using it for about 8 months and i cannot fault it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also use Quadlock but the only downside is I dont find the front cover is properly waterproof so I can only use it in fair weather

·
Registered
52 Posts
pics of set ups would be great and can actual see what everyone is talking about and if its something they would want on there bike, i'm looking to mount a garmin inreach se+ and a gps unit to the bike the phone i think i can carry in my coat or maybe mount it iphone 6+s i see holders for gps units that go between the handle bars on top of steering shaft anyone have anything like that?

·
Registered
116 Posts
My set up is a RAM & QUADLOCK blend,ive got the RAM bar mount and the RAM double socket but ive bought the QUADLOCK 1" BALL attachment to fit the RAM socket and attach my phone
I totaly agree, The Quadlock lock case is great, offers great protection from dropping your phone, very quiuck & easy to mount & dismount
I'm in the US, can you post a photo or link for this RAM & Quadlock as I have a Galaxy S10+ that would better serve me on the bar and not the jacket pocket. Thank you

·
Registered
70 Posts

I need to get that mount. I bought a 1" bar mount (with the U shaped bolt) not realizing how thick the bars get towards the risers. So for now I'm stuck with my phone over near the left grip.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I changed from an X-Grip to a Quadlock for my S9+. Just easier to get the thing on and off and no worries about the buttons, etc. The Quadlock case, even with the bumpout on the back for the connector, is thinner and lighter than the simple Otterbox case I was using. I was worried that it was going to be bulkier in my pocket, but no.

·
Registered
104 Posts
On my 2018 ATAS I am using Ram Mounts with my Garmin GPS 78, and added a Perfect Squeeze holder to the Ram mount for my phone. Really like the set-up, no vibration and everything is close at hand and secure.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,331 Posts

What kind of phone do you use with that Quadlock setup? I find it doesn't seem to play well with the iPhone X. It keeps destroying the image stabilization. I have been in for 4 camera replacements already. The tone at the Genious Bar has gone from "It is rare, but it occasionally happens," to "It should work fine with the Quadlock" to "We don't recommend you use it with the Quadlock anymore."

Here is a sample of what it eventually does after just a few rides....

https://seandonnelly.smugmug.com/Forum-Shares/i-d8BTPfV/A

I never had the issue with the RAM X-Mount, but I think it is because the X-Mount setup does a better job of absorbing vibration than the Quadlock. I also think the Quadlock is maybe fine for road use, but not off?

I just switched from the iPhone X to a Samsung Galaxy S10+, but I am hesitant to give the Quadlock another shot. Not sure if it is more a Quadlock can't absorb the vibrations issue or the iPhone X camera is crap for durability issue. But I don't want to risk screwing up the Galaxy S10+ camera the same way.

Rockform also makes some nice cases and motorcycling mounts, similar to Quadlock, but they have their own bar, perch and fork clamp mounts that don't require the Ram Ball.

https://www.rokform.com/pages/motorcycle-mounts

1 - 20 of 34 Posts