Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm happy with my S7 Edge Quadlock case, but will be soon getting rid of the S7 Edge. I've registered my E-Mail to receive information from Quadlock when a case for my new phone is available, hopefully it wont take them too long.

·
Registered
167 Posts
How is the Quadlock case for wireless charging? I have several phones and tablets - all using wireless chargers at home and the office. Friends and coworkers often put their phones on them - and a few cases don't work well even though they aren't thicker than others.

·
Super Moderator
1,536 Posts
How is the Quadlock case for wireless charging? I have several phones and tablets - all using wireless chargers at home and the office. Friends and coworkers often put their phones on them - and a few cases don't work well even though they aren't thicker than others.
I have found it to be tricky, meaning that it can be a little fidgety as far as placement on the pad, but it works.

YMMV as some of that is probably also dependent on make/model of phone and make/model of pad. My experiences are all based on iPhone X and pads are a Samsung and an iHome alarm clock radio with built in pad.

I have just had to be a little more careful with placement with the case than without.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have my new Note 10+ - great phone! With a 6.8" screen and higher brightness than the S7 Edge, it should be even better as a GPS navigator. I have installed my various apps (Waze, Mapfactor Navigator, HERE WeGo, Maps.Me) to give me plenty of options. My most used one is Mapfactor Navigator with Open Source maps downloaded at home through WiFi and checking for latest map update before a trip.

On Quadlock's site they list the case for the Note 10+ as available for preorder, shipping early October. I'll just use my RAM Mounts X-Grip until my Quadlock case arrives.

I have a wireless charger than works fine with my Spigen case, I'll report back here when I get the Quadlock case to let you know if wireless charging works fine or not.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What kind of phone do you use with that Quadlock setup? I find it doesn't seem to play well with the iPhone X. It keeps destroying the image stabilization. I have been in for 4 camera replacements already. The tone at the Genious Bar has gone from "It is rare, but it occasionally happens," to "It should work fine with the Quadlock" to "We don't recommend you use it with the Quadlock anymore."

Here is a sample of what it eventually does after just a few rides....

https://seandonnelly.smugmug.com/Forum-Shares/i-d8BTPfV/A

I never had the issue with the RAM X-Mount, but I think it is because the X-Mount setup does a better job of absorbing vibration than the Quadlock. I also think the Quadlock is maybe fine for road use, but not off?

I just switched from the iPhone X to a Samsung Galaxy S10+, but I am hesitant to give the Quadlock another shot. Not sure if it is more a Quadlock can't absorb the vibrations issue or the iPhone X camera is crap for durability issue. But I don't want to risk screwing up the Galaxy S10+ camera the same way.

Rockform also makes some nice cases and motorcycling mounts, similar to Quadlock, but they have their own bar, perch and fork clamp mounts that don't require the Ram Ball.

https://www.rokform.com/pages/motorcycle-mounts
I went through this for six months. Went through 4 Pixel 2 XLs and Google thought I was crazy. Kept getting "hardware failure. Camera has stopped" with black screens after riding for a couple hours with the phone on the X grip. Switched to a Note 9 and the same thing happened to the camera when I read about optical image stabilization breaks in the phone from heavy vibration. It is a huge bummer.

I have looked for vibration dampened mounts, but have moved to just putting it in the map pocket of my tank bag as I haven't been able to find anything. That is the safest way, but obviously more of a hassle. My next phone will not have OIS.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If your phone can automatically rotate the screen, there's a little mechanical gyro in it. Those can fail with enough vibration, and all the features that depend on motion sensing will stop. I have seen where you could unstick the gyro by dropping the phone about a foot onto the desktop, but YMMV. 8^)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have a Note8 and use the Xmount on occasion no issues so far but may use my tank bag more now after hearing all these issues.

·
Super Moderator
1,536 Posts
My next phone will not have OIS.
That will be a tough find these days, especially among the flagship models. They all have 3 and 4 cameras with OIS, etc. Perhaps one of the "gaming phones" such as the Asus ROG 2, but even that might. I still have on older iPhone 6s I may designate just for use on the bike since it only has DIS (Digital Image Stabilization) and not OIS

Edit: I have seen some videos showing how you can "fix" the broken OIS with the use of magnets. I am a little surprised that Apple hasn't come to market with a $50 iMagnet to resolve it. However, after the 4th camera repair, they basically did tell me that I was mounting it wrong, after previously insisting that it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was going to pre-order the Quadlock case, but am now having second thoughts. With this talk about phones failing i'm not sure I want to have my new (and very expensive) Note 10+ give trouble. I have had the screen flip around on the S7 Edge, suddenly the map is upside down - I guess the vibrations could have been causing the gyro to have a problem.

So I've been looking at dedicated motorcycle GPS devices, which presumably can handle vibrations without any problems. It seems that the Garmin Zumo 595LM is the best option, and it comes with RAM Mount hardware which would make it very easy to attach to the bike. At least I could keep my phone (relatively) safe in my pocket and not fret about maybe causing it to fail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
I think the Zumo is a nice GPS but I'm not prepared to fork out that much money when my phone can do the same thing plus an unlimited numbers of other tasks.
Ill use my Wolfman tank bag which has a plastic window on it when on rough and extended riding trips, and besides I generally only need the voice directions anyways and my Lexin BF4FM looks after all the audio including voice recognition.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hmmmm - it's worth knowing about this issue (breaking phones), but I have been using an X-mount on the handlebars holding first an iphone 7 plus and now an iphone 8 plus for about 18 months in which time I have done 32k miles. So far I haven't had a problem. I don't take mine off road, but I bought another X-mount for my hybrid push bike on which I have done 2000miles in a year quite a lot off road on bad tracks. I think (hope) that mounting the Xmount on the handlebars is reasonably safe. I decided not to use the high mount in the screen even with Vlad's screen brace as the phone rattled around very violently even on tarmac.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,536 Posts
Hmmmm - it's worth knowing about this issue (breaking phones), but I have been using an X-mount on the handlebars holding first an iphone 7 plus and now an iphone 8 plus for about 18 months in which time I have done 32k miles. So far I haven't had a problem. I don't take mine off road, but I bought another X-mount for my hybrid push bike on which I have done 2000miles in a year quite a lot off road on bad tracks. I think (hope) that mounting the Xmount on the handlebars is reasonably safe. I decided not to use the high mount in the screen even with Vlad's screen brace as the phone rattled around very violently even on tarmac.
Mike
This is what happens when an iPhone X breaks. Offroad is where it seems most vulnerable and using the Quadlock (for me) not the X-Mount. I think maybe the arms of the X-mount maybe buffers the vibration better than the more solid Quadlock mount? In any case, I have had 4 camera failures while trying to use the Quadlock mount and so far none with the X-Mount. Maybe just lucky with the X-Mount, I am not sure. I have used the X-Mount in the past but switched to a Quadlock last year thinking the quick 1/4 turn and release would be more convenient.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Forum-Shares/i-d8BTPfV/0/07ed0571/640/IMG_0315-640.mp4

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Well, I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+, it’s 6 3/8 in. x 3 in.

And it fits perfectly and securely in my “RAM Tough-Claw Mount with Universal X-Grip Large Phone Cradle for Plus Sized Phones.” Ram Mounts says it holds devices 1.75” to 4.5” wide and fits rails 0.625” – 1.5”.

It holds my phone securely. And it clamps to my handlebar very securely with a big finger turn screw and goes on and comes off easily—no tools or bolts, etc. I can’t imagine the clamp coming loose even in the roughest riding—you can really torque it down very tight. And the underside has rubber pads so it doesn’t mark up the handlebar in any way.

I only use the additional rubber harness when off-road, but probably don’t really even need it there. The spring-loaded “X-grip” is pretty tight all by itself and I've had no problems with my phone moving around while riding. And I never go anywhere without my phone in its cradle—I use it to open and close the garage door, text while riding, etc. ?

I've seen complaints of the grip messing with your volume control, but I find it easy to position my phone so that doesn’t happen with the phone still being well centered and secure.

I've had mine almost from the beginning and have had zero problems. I like that I can move the position of the mount if I want or need to—quickly and easily. But I pretty much leave it just to the left of my handlebar mounts.

I received my RAM X-Grip assembly today and I can tell I am just going to love this product.

It is incredibly firm, yet position versatile, and the staging dismounts quickly so protect it from theft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1 for Ram clamp with short arm and Quadlock ball combo, but using an Ultimate Addons tough case fitted with a Quadlock connector.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts