Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the ATAS, but I am familiar with adjusting chain tension (spline wear issue) on older ATs. Does the ATAS like a loose chain like the older ATs? Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Africa Twin DCT
52 Posts
In my 2019 AT manual, it says 35-45mm of chain play is recommended. I'm not sure if the 18 model is the same.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm new to the ATAS, but I am familiar with adjusting chain tension (spline wear issue) on older ATs. Does the ATAS like a loose chain like the older ATs? Thanks.
It has a long swingarm and a longer chain. Even properly adjusted it looks like too much slack when compared to my previous bikes. Follow the manual's instructions and you will be fine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A slightly loose chain is better than the opposite. As a precaution have someone of similar weight sit on the bike and recheck. You'd be surprised how tight it is. At this point I go for at least 25mm of movement. Provided your chain and sprockets are not entirely shagged your not going to derail a 525. Thats the way we have always done our off-road race bikes (520's).

·
Registered
696 Posts
Sled,
Unless it's been removed, if you take about 10 seconds and look at the top of your chain guard, near the rear sprocket, you'll see EXACTLY what is required for the EXACT chain tension on your 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports model. Hope this helps.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
FIRE UP
Experience tells me, from a few bikes, if its to tight it shifts like a dog. And thats what happens if i follow the guide.
Having someone sit on the bike is JUST a simple 30 second test, the chain should still have some movement. In order to avoid spline wear.
IMG_9620.JPG
Its subjective, indicated here
sub.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think the 50mm of play noted on the ATAS swing arm is the tightest you want to go. That's a different number than the standard bikes for sure. Too much is way better than too little as the ATAS can for sure have the same issue as the older bikes if overtightened.

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
I think the 50mm of play noted on the ATAS swing arm is the tightest you want to go. That's a different number than the standard bikes for sure. Too much is way better than too little as the ATAS can for sure have the same issue as the older bikes if overtightened.
50 mm, eh? How many stones is that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts