Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I decided to inspect/service my 2018 ATAS forks. I had the bike for a little less than one year and 3850 miles. The fork oil was in good shape (as it should have been) and the tube coating appeared to be in new condition.
My ATAS has had a reasonable amount of mild off road riding. I think it is a good idea to service a fork after its first year of service to determine its general condition and remove contaminates from manufacture.

For those of you who plan on inspecting/servicing your forks a spring compressor is required. They are easily found for around $20.00. Also, Greg's video is a good guide for fork inspection/service. https://youtu.be/EVeIKXOkpXM.

One of the other things that may have contributed to the good condition of the fork coating was backing off the lower clamps to 15 newton meters.

It is probably more important to inspect the non-Adventure Sport forks, especially if there is increased stiction.

Next week, my fuel pump will be inspected, cleaned, and have a Guglatech filter installed. I just decided to take care of this issue prior to affecting me far from home.

Those who have read some of my past posts are aware that I have not been impressed with Honda build quality (and customer support). This is their flagship adventure model and it is quite expensive. The forks on the Africa Twin are an old school design, relatively simple, and there should never have been issues for the 2016 and 2017 Africa Twins. Also, most manufacturers provide a 2 or 3 year warranty for this caliber of bike, not 1 year. These issues and others, as well as customer support, are discouraging and lead me to believe that Honda has lost its excellent build quality and reputation. I think the design of the AT and ATAS is excellent but the execution of the design is fair at best.

Jon

1 - 1 of 1 Posts