Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everybody,

:surprise: is what my face looked like when I pulled the skid plate off of my 2018 ATAS this morning to do the first oil change at 594 miles. There are definitely cracks or crevices in the oil pan on my bike and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced or seen the same issue. I sent photos to my dealer and they were shocked by the photo. Additionally, when I was under the bike to verify it really was a crack or crevices I noted an oil leak on the left side bronze case where it seals up to the engine case. You can see black sealant squeezed out between the 2 and there is an oil drop formed right at that joint. I found it because there are 2 bolt heads on the bottom of the engine, with 12 on the bolt head, that had oil on the heads so I got to looking for the source and found it. Honda dealership says no gasket on that case, just Honda applied sealant / adhesive.

Needless to say I'm greatly disappointed in Honda but I'll get it fixed. Unfortunately I'm 3.5 hours (236 miles one way) from my dealer. A new oil pan and all parts necessary to install it are $328.33 and if I put value on my time and mileage ($0.54/mile) it will cost me more than that to make the round trip to get it fixed under warranty. If I went that route they tell me I'd have to buy the parts up front because they can't make a warranty claim without the bike in hand because they have to document the issue, get approval from Honda, and pull the part themselves. That would cost me 2 round trips because I would have to leave it. I got them to look up labor on the oil pan and the side case and they are 0.6 hrs and 0.3hrs respectively so that weighed in on me just doing it myself. My service manual is on the way. Not to mention, 2 cagers tried to share my lane in Salt Lake City when I was riding it back from the dealer so it's not worth the risk just to try and save $328.22 and some labor.

Photos attached of the oil pan and the oil leak.

If anyone is willing to pull a skid plate on their bike and get some photos I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd like to see what others look like. I did note what I thought was a bit of oil on the oil pan when I pulled the skid plate but not sure if it is from the cracks or not. I cleaned it up real good with spray cleaner and polish and will ride it some to see if it is leaking from the oil pan.

I'm getting the bike set up to ride the Idaho backcountry discovery route, hopefully this fall, so glad I found this stuff now.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow. This makes me want to check out my bike for cracks.

I'm assuming your bike very new having just covered 600 miles and half of them getting home from the dealer?

I've covered 6000 miles on mine and I haven't noticed any oil leak but I haven't been looking for one.

I will be checking mine. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ok, many of us chose Honda over KTM for reliability and quality....seems that Honda has lowered their standards quite a lot. :frown2:

I have checked my ATAS very recently, because after the second oil change I had leakage. Eventually I found that my mechanic failed to tighten properly one of the two drain plugs bolts.

I have not seen any cracks of any sort although I did a thorough check to confirm there was no other leak.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. This makes me want to check out my bike for cracks.

I'm assuming your bike very new having just covered 600 miles and half of them getting home from the dealer?

I've covered 6000 miles on mine and I haven't noticed any oil leak but I haven't been looking for one.

I will be checking mine. Thanks for posting.
Well, very new based on mileage. I picked it up in SLC in June 2018. We had just moved to Idaho and were living in a travel trailer until we got our house sold where we moved from and it took about 8 months to get into a house up here and with moving and such I didn't get much of a chance to ride it. It has never been off of the street and is like new with the exception of the oil leak and cracked/creviced oil pan.

Just rode it about 35 miles after the oil change and will pull the skid plate back off to inspect for more oil.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, many of us chose Honda over KTM for reliability and quality....seems that Honda has lowered their standards quite a lot. :frown2:

I have checked my ATAS very recently, because after the second oil change I had leakage. Eventually I found that my mechanic failed to tighten properly one of the two drain plugs bolts.

I have not seen any cracks of any sort although I did a thorough check to confirm there was no other leak.
Yeah, that is exactly why I bought the AT, because of Honda's reputation for quality and fit and finish. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would have an engine oil leak let alone what I saw on the oil pan. I'm going to contact American Honda Powersports and let them know I am not pleased. I still love it though. I hate to have tear into the engine covers so early! If the factory can't keep it from leaking I'm worried I won't be able to.

·
Registered
423 Posts
.... If the factory can't keep it from leaking I'm worried I won't be able to.
Do not be pesimistic.... poor workmanship does not mean that the parts or the design may nesseserilly have a flow. If it would be like that, all of us would have the leak you descibed. I think you shall be absolutely able to seal it properly.

Let us know when you are done! :smile2:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hard to tell without the part in hand, but the "cracks" on the oil pan casting may well be nothing more than leftover "flashing" on the casting collecting some road grime. (?). Sadly, and I doubt the issue is solely related to Honda product, manufacturers must keep their prices as low as possible (to sell the product to the end customer) and profits as high as possible (to please the stockholders). Guess who gets to hold the bag when the "shortcuts" are discovered? Yep, you and I. It's very evident Honda utilizes cost cutting measures on this bike. As an example, it would cost extra dollars to have someone grind of and polish those flash marks on your oil pan. It all adds up. These manufacturers negotiate down to the penny for each and every component they buy from their suppliers. For an example, if they could save $ 0.50 for every oil pan casting they do not "pretty up", multiply that by the multi thousands they buy and it is huge savings.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hard to tell without the part in hand, but the "cracks" on the oil pan casting may well be nothing more than leftover "flashing" on the casting collecting some road grime. (?)
Well, at 594 miles it is definitely not road grime. She has never seen the rain. If I run my thumbnail over the cracks/crevices it hangs up on them. They are definitely lower than the rest of the surface and they definitely appear to be casting defects (I think). I'm hoping some other folks might take a look at theirs and post up some pics before I do anything. I'd hate to order another one and get the same result! I'm going out this morning to pull the skid plate again to inspect the pan, for oil leaks around those cracks, and also for the oil leak around the alternator case. I also sent a note to American Honda Powersports to see if they will work with me on warranty replacement of the oil pan without having to take it to the dealer. I did find another thread where a guy had a leak at one of the horizontally oriented bolts on the front of the oil pan and Honda is replacing his oil pan.

Will advise what I find out.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not sure as this is just a picture, but to me these looks like cast imperfections, not cracks. Most probably it would be alright and I would not jump on of paying for a new pan. I'd rather remove that one to fix the oil dribble and have a look at the inside and then evaluate the actual condition. It doesn't look nice cosmetically, but also it does not have to as it is well hidden under the bike and behind the sump guard. Maybe that's why Honda saved a dollar with not bothering make that looking nice and smooth (not excuse to them though).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Was working on the bike today, so decided to take a peak underneath while I had the skidplate off. 2018 ATAS as well. Pretty much the exact same markings on mine, even down to the orientation and everything. Mine are smooth though and just look like imperfections in the metal, not cracks. Photo attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks looking and posting up the photo Motorwerx!

I rode mine about 35 miles after the oil change and pulled the skid plate off to take a look. No oil on the oil pan. I'm going to fix the oil leak on the alternator case and rock on as is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That’s no bueno! I have 3800 mi on mine, almost Half of those off road. I removed skid plate today because I have a B&B off road bash plate arriving this week. I also did an oil change. Dealer did my 600 mi change. I did not see anything even remotely like what you show. I will do a closer inspection prior to putting on the new plate.

Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts