Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Held off posting this here until I got a response from Honda. The rider seat cover on my ATAS has stretched and now has a permanent crease/bump in the middle, it was like this within about 150 miles from new. I don’t move around on the seat much and I’ve never had a bike with this issue before.

Honda has rejected the warrant claim on the grounds it looks normal :surprise: we’ll if 99% of ATAS’s seats look like this, then it’s normal, but I haven’t seen another that has any stretch yet. Obviously I’m not impressed, as it doesn’t look right on a new expensive bike and also what will it look like after 10k miles. I’d be very grateful If you’ve got an ATAS or even an 18 year AT, you could please let me know how your seat is wearing.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mines on 700+ miles and has no creases in it at all. If Honda think that’s normal/acceptable on a brand new bike, then the person responsible for making that decision, should be sacked. First off, it’s poor quality control, secondly it’s letting the buyer down big time and thirdly Honda’s reputation for a quality product, means nothing to the buying punter.

I’ve had loads of bikes in my time, no new bikes had an issue like that. Maybe after 20 or 30,000 mile, you might expect it, but not after only 150 miles!

Get it on Facebook if you can, that’s the only place where the likes of Honda will take notice. Sadly these forums are of little interest to big manufacturers.

Don’t accept their decision, keep pestering them, get as many photo of this seat, so you can show what is normal. I post a pic of mine when I get home from work. Good luck Hovis.

·
Registered
400 Posts
That looks terrible. It must get sorted
400 miles on my ATAS. Seat is perfect. I weigh 16.5 stone tooled up and I sit far back, almost on the joint with the rear seat.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hovis - Have Honda seen the actual seat, or are they going from pics. What has the dealer had to say.
Do you have a plan on what to do next, not easy I know.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hovis - Have Honda seen the actual seat, or are they going from pics. What has the dealer had to say.
Do you have a plan on what to do next, not easy I know.
I took it to my dealer, shortly after it appeared, two weeks ago, the guy that deals with warranty claims agreed it wasn’t right and took some photos to send to Honda. Again on Monday, while my bike was having its first service, he took some more, but on Tuesday he called me to to say Honda had rejected the claim as they believed it was normal. The parts guy agrees it should’nt look like it does, but it’s not his call.

I guess my next step is to contact Honda directly, but I haven’t done that yet as I was looking for an email address rather than call them, (I got a £15 telephone charge last time I called customer services about the problem of the ATAS not being on the insurance data base and no one wanting to cover it), I don’t really feel Honda should be making money out of me contacting them. I’m not on Facebook, otherwise I’d mention it on that, I know Honda instantly react to negative comments, as a guy on another forum said something on Facebook and within half an hour a Honda rep had contacted him to resolve the issue.

I haven’t found an email address yet so I’ll probably have to call Honda uk (at my cost) to see what they say. Have to say I rather surprised with hondas response on a 4 week old bike, my previous experience with warranty claims (on bmw’s) was excellent, no quibbles, just got it sorted straight away. It’s not like I can’t ride the bike, but it is annoying, Is this how Honda are with all warranty work?

(Update, have now emailed Honda uk, await their response)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Latest update for anyone who might be interested. I’ve look at 12 ATAS bikes now, none were like mine, but Honda UK have given their final verdict on the matter.......

”the seat appears to be normal and no defect is present”

So if I don’t like my brand new bike looking like this, I have to pay Honda about £315 for a new one.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Latest update for anyone who might be interested. I’ve look at 12 ATAS bikes now, none were like mine, but Honda UK have given their final verdict on the matter.......

So if I don’t like my brand new bike looking like this, I have to pay Honda about £315 for a new one.

That is absolutely shocking response by Honda UK. :frown2: I’ve had quite few bikes overs years, I can’t think of any, where the seat material hasn’t return to its pre stretched shape, after getting off the seat. If it’s normal, you’d expect to see lots of bikes with it, but I’ve yet to see another like yours Hovis.

Question for 2016/17 owners, anybody had a similar issue with their seats?

I think your next step is to speak to your dealer, ask to meet the Honda Area Rep and confront them on the issue. Once they see it in person, they might understand, having 4 ATAS’s next to each other, and only one bike has a seat issue, it would then be pretty difficult for them to say it’s normal.

So is this the new get out phrase, sorry “that appears to be normal”, Honda use for warranty rejections. How convenient that is for Honda, normal in their eyes, but not for the paying customer! :frown2:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I agree with Shedracer. I would explain to Honda that you are taking the matter further. The dealer must have a part to play here.. As a buyer I believe you are within your rights to reject the bike as not being fit for purpose
If the worst happens and you do end up buying a new seat have a look at the one piece seats on Rugged roads website.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You could take a hard line and inform them via letter that you are returning the bike as it clearly has a fault, especially if your dealer agrees. There are a few letter templates on CAB website.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The definition of “Normal”, conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected. So in Honda’s words, Honda expect all Africa Twin seats, to look like the seat on Hovis bike?

I had a brand new Mazda MX5 Recaro Limited Edition, bought in 2016. The car had specific Recaro seats, made for the new ND model, anyway both seats developed an issue, one through wear and the other with a similar issue to Hovis seat. The base cushion had a dip and crease in it, not as bad as Hovis seat. Well I spoke to the supplying dealer and put a warranty claim in for both seats. Mazda came back, accepting the claim and replaced both seat, the dealer informed me that each seat cost £5,000, so a staggering cost of £10,000 (although I’m sure at cost price to Mazda uk, that sum was really significantly lower). These seats cannot just be bought off the shelf, you have to own a Recaro MX5 to get a replacement! But the point is, even though the cost was considerable, they replaced the seats under warranty.

As for rejecting the bike, having read several articles on it, I think it would be quite difficult to reject a bike with this seat issue, as it’s not considered a major issue. Under these circumstances, it is suggested that it should be dealt with through your dealer and a warranty claim.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If Honda thinks there is nothing wrong with the seat, they shouldn't mind if you swapped it with another one sitting in a dealer's showroom?
Mike

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Just thinking - your seat in the first pics looks like it's in the low position. I think the low position mounting points on the At are a joke. I challenged the rep on the stand at the NEC to fit the seat 20 times in the low position. He succeeded on only two attempts. Sometimes it looks like it's in but it's not properly home at the front. Perhaps this can cause the base to distort and maybe tear the foam. If this has happened of course it's still a warranty problem.
Mike

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It looks the same in the high position, there’s no damage to the base, dealers already checked it. Have to agree though, the seat adjustment method is pants.

It’s not really about rejecting the bike, it’s about Honda doing what’s right to their customers, not what’s right for their pocket. It’s called customer service and satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It looks the same in the high position, there’s no damage to the base, dealers already checked it. Have to agree though, the seat adjustment method is pants.

It’s not really about rejecting the bike, it’s about Honda doing what’s right to their customers, not what’s right for their pocket. It’s called customer service and satisfaction.
Yes but I mean if the base was able to flex too much maybe - just maybe - it's caused a tear in the foam - seems unlikely though.
I had the dealer fit two pairs of Honda heated grips, both of which failed after 20 minutes. The dealer got nowhere in trying to get a refund (Honda wanted the bike for 2 weeks to trace possible wiring harness problems). I bought some Kosos which the dealer fitted FOC for me and they suggested I have a go at Honda UK customer service. I kept it very calm and to the point and they eventually offered me £100. I said this was unacceptable as the grips cost £300 and I shouldn't be out of pocket. Eventually they gave me a voucher for £250 to spend with any dealer. (I got them fitted as part of the Touring kit and they probably were only £250). But I had to politely redefine the issue for them (they thought I was wanting them to buy me some Kosos) and decline their first offer and ask to speak to more senior people. I guess they have to try and keep warranty costs down but it's very irritating.
Mike

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just another update, Honda have said they will Not replace the seat under warranty, as “the seat appears to be normal and no defect is present.” So if anyone else has this issue, I’m guessing you’ll get the same response. But just to clarify, below are two photos of an ATAS seat, one is normal and the other isn’t, guess which one Honda says is normal ;0). I’m sure some of you probably think, it’s nothing, but to me it’s not right and it annoys the **** out of me every time I look at it.:frown2:

So if all the owners want a seat like my “normal” one, please feel free to submit a warranty claim, so your smooth flat defective seat can be replaced by Honda ;0). Maybe when 99% of ATAS owners are claiming for a new seat as theirs don’t look like mine, so aren’t normal, Honda might have a rethink ;0). My salesman isn’t able to do anything at the mo, as he’s away on holiday for 2 weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
In that case they would have no problem swapping it for one without a crease in it ?

+ 1 to posting those pictures on FaceBook, I am willing to bet you would get that swap offer within 24 hours.

Edit
Not a 2018 model but out of curiosity I went out and checked the seat on my 16, even bending the nose backward couldn't produce that crease, the vinyl is very tight fitting to the foam.

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
295 Posts
How can that not be a defect?? It is not just cosmetic there is something wrong with the seat cover or the base foam. Almost like something with a sharp edge has been left on the seat. I looked at an unpacking video of an Adventure Sport and there are no straps across the seat. My 16 has had several ferry crossings to the Isle Of Man with ropes tight across the seat and is still in top condition.

You could get a friend to test their demo bike and swap the seats over ;-)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts