Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys if this has been asked before but I really can't get anything useful out of the search function on here.
I know of a few of the changes that Honda have made (self cancelling indicators, improved mid range etc), but has any user on here moved from a pre2018 to the latest model (standard not Sport)? If so could they list on here any changes that they know of. Honda have a habit of only listing some - When they introduced the 2016 NC750X they listed about 6 changes but when I bought mine I found about 20)
My dealer doesn't think that the standard 2018 AT comes with heated grips already fitted - is that correct?
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Mike5100 , I am trying to figure out the same thing, I started another thread asking opinions regarding a left over 17 or a new 18 and not getting any response.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well here's one minor unlisted change - the 2018 bikes display the range you have left in the tank (not just when you are about to run out of fuel). And it seems my dealer is correct the standard bike for 2018 does not come with heated grips although the Sport model does.
Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello all,

Its an excellent question as I am weighing the discount of a 2016/2017 vs. buying a 2018 with the improvements. I've found some good articles that list some of the changes, here is the link to an Africa Twin Adventure Sports model article that talks about shared changes between the 2018 Africa Twin models and the "tl;dr" from it:

http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2018-h...specs-motorcycle-dct-automatic-bike-crf1000l2

2018 changes:
1.Throttle by wire. (smooths out power, allows for quickshifter accessory and might allow for future cruise control)
2. Stronger footpeg mounts and larger pegs for the rider.
3. Revised footpegs for the passenger for comfort and strength.
4. Revised airbox, flywheel, engine balancer shaft, and exhaust to make it sound better and have a bit more mid range power.
5. All new display screen, tilted more for standing riders.
6. New Lithium Ion battery saves 5 pounds/ 2kg up high on the bike.
7. More HSTC (Honda Selective Torque Control) levels, up from 3 to 7.
8. 3rd generation DCT for more intelligent and smoother shifting. (Theres picture in the link showing it holding onto gears longer in turns)
9. New(?) riding modes; Touring, Sports, Gravel, and User defined.
10. Stainless steel spokes.
11. Auto canceling turn indicators.
12. Auto engaging hazard lights based on hard braking.
13. Block pattern tires approved by Honda for use. (I imagine it means you can choose to have street or dirt oriented tires factory installed)
14. Fuel remaining displayed now. (As reported by Mike5100, above).

So when you list them all it does appear there's been lots of little tweaks.

I personally wish the concerns expressed by the community regarding the heated grips and the OEM panniers were addressed (i.e. more heat for the grips and durability issues for the panniers).

Anyone else have intel on the 2018 model?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hello all, Its an excellent question as I am weighing the discount of a 2016/2017 vs. buying a 2018 with the improvements. I've found some good articles that list some of the changes, here is the link to an Africa Twin Adventure Sports model article that talks about shared changes between the 2018 Africa Twin models and the "tl;dr" from it: http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2018-h...specs-motorcycle-dct-automatic-bike-crf1000l2
2018 changes:
1.Throttle by wire. (smooths out power, allows for quickshifter accessory and might allow for future cruise control)
2. Stronger footpeg mounts and larger pegs for the rider.
3. Revised footpegs for the passenger for comfort and strength.
4. Revised airbox, flywheel, engine balancer shaft, and exhaust to make it sound better and have a bit more mid range power.
5. All new display screen, tilted more for standing riders.
6. New Lithium Ion battery saves 5 pounds/ 2kg up high on the bike.
7. More HSTC (Honda Selective Torque Control) levels, up from 3 to 7.
8. 3rd generation DCT for more intelligent and smoother shifting. (Theres picture in the link showing it holding onto gears longer in turns)
9. New(?) riding modes; Touring, Sports, Gravel, and User defined.
10. Stainless steel spokes.
11. Auto canceling turn indicators.
12. Auto engaging hazard lights based on hard braking.
13. Block pattern tires approved by Honda for use. (I imagine it means you can choose to have street or dirt oriented tires factory installed)
14. Fuel remaining displayed now. (As reported by Mike5100, above).

So when you list them all it does appear there's been lots of little tweaks. I personally wish the concerns expressed by the community regarding the heated grips and the OEM panniers were addressed (i.e. more heat for the grips and durability issues for the panniers). Anyone else have intel on the 2018 model?
I see nothing of value in your list. I read the front forks have a bit more metal (less machined off for shape) and internal Kashmina coating. If true that is a worthwhile upgrade, though I know no one that has issues with 2016 or 2017 suspension - other than it being lightly sprung.

Regarding your list - On my 2017
1. Throttle works fine
2. Bought IMS SS pegs and Camel footage brace
3. Removed the passenger pegs - never use them and they are dangerous off-road
4. has enough mid-range and sounds fine
5. What do you need to see that isn't obvious? Gear? Gas? Speed? sit down once and awhile to see your screen
6. Good benefit, but really, look at your gut. are you carrying 5 lbs extra?
7. I only use one. Who needs 7? leave it on 3-bars on the street and turn it off off-road.
8. I ride a standard. DCT is bla bla bla..
9. Must relate to DCT bla bla bla
10 my spokes have not rusted.
11. auto-cancel is a nice benefit if forgetful, though I always physically cancel on any bike I ride - even with auto cancel
12. safety benefit I guess - do they disengage when brakes released. You can add Hyperlights...
13. Block pattern tyres - many pay the dealer a few $$ to put on TKC-80 or something useful before taking delivery.
14. It shows KM used - after the first tank do the math while riding. Exercising your brain delays Alzheimer's.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's great thanks. Do we know if the heated grips and 12v accessory socket are being fitted 'free' to the standard model as they are to the Sport?
Mike

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel a bit like Black 99S above. Most of the improvements are irrelevant to me. However, despite me buying a 2017 model - when they should have sorted all the problems identified in the first year - my bike still had to go in 5 times for stupid warranty problems. I worry that if I buy a new but 2017 bike it will have all those same issues. Surely they must have sorted the switchgear problem on the 2018 bike as they have redesigned the switches? They have definitely addressed the spokes problem and I understand they did finally get a solution of sorts for the heated grips (but that also applies for the 2017 bike).
I am going to get a new one because mine has done 17k miles in a year and if I let it go over 20k I think its value will plummet even more than it has.
I rode the Sport most of Thursday and in the end didn't like it. Apart from it being too tall for me, I found the ride with the altered suspension too tiring. However, the engine changes WERE noticeable and for me to notice them they must have been more than subtle. The bike seemed much more ready to go and when it did the power delivery seemed 'creamy'. I liked this a lot and it may be the only reason that I go for the new model bike.
A few places say the DCT box has been tweaked, but I'm doubtful. It certainly felt no different, and we are all riding 3rd generation DCT boxes anyway - even on the 2016 bikes. If anyone can find any hard evidence of 2018 changes to the DCT I'd be grateful.
By the way the 30 mph doodling felt more meh than it does on my 2017 bike - have they had to lean it off even more for euro regs for 2018? And the snatchiness between on and off seems worse - could be down to the ride by wire.
Mike

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
281 Posts
Had another ride on an Adventure Sport and an 18 standard model this weekend. The extra riding modes and TC settings are of no use to me and it's now bugging me that all I can see in the new instruments is my white crash helmet. I'll be keeping my 16 for at least another year, which by the way I've had none of the reported issues with.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well we're all different we like some bikes and hate others, whatever I say someone is going to disagree , thats ok ,
But the new adventure IMHO is a better bike for my type of riding than the 2016 bike I bought, but having said that the 2016 bike was the best all round bike I've ever owned, Yes i did have the spoke problem the heated grips were crap even with the 3 different modules fitted, and they had to replace both sides of the switch gear,
I bought Alpina wheels which were great but even they sprung a leak on both wheels (5 spokes on each wheel leaked)after 5 months, they replaced them no problem,
So the new adventure, I've had it 4 weeks and done 2,000 miles and I love it, the engine feels totally different, seems to have more power mid range, the DCT is just fantastic, I keep it on touring S, 1 suits me fine, the new exhaust/silencers sounds great, the new footpads are much bigger, and the heated grips are more than hot enough, I had to turn the heat down from number 5 ,the right hand grip is slightly hotter, The new suspension is superb against my old model and I'm sure Dunlop must have changed the compound on the D610s because I've found them to be very good, I like the new height bar risers and the new screen I had the deflectors, both sets put on from the start and they work fine ,
Some people have said the seats to high or the bikes to tall but if you fit the low seat its almost the same as the old model ,and Ive found the low seat is more comfortable , I swapped it over from my last model,
I did 15,800 miles in the first year on my previous model, and did loads of mods, bar risers screens foot pegs, etc, but on this one apart from hugger and fenda extender I haven't felt the need,
I'm sure I was going to say something else, but I can't remember, must be the dementia ,lol

·
Registered
400 Posts
Elvisto - What do you think of the hugger. I have the ATAS and was thinking of getting one to keep the rear end clean. I was put off by some people who said it makes the bike harder to clean and dosnt look very good. I presume yours is Pyramid Plastics ?What are your thoughts and what colour did you go for.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How about the quickshifter? I wonder how expensive of an option it is?

5 months into 2018. has anyone in US seen a standard 2018 AT yet?

Honda Powersports shows the 2018 European models and prices
The accessories for the AT are not listed and you can't add them into the price quote.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Honda must have heard me. The powersports page has been updated and you can now add accessories. Still showing European models.
Quickshifter on the standard AT is available for $530

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm sure Dunlop must have changed the compound on the D610s because I've found them to be very good,
Both the demo ATAS I have gazed upon wore Bridgestone A41 tyres ......I'm interested to find out how these compare? If anyone has these fitted has fitted them?
Thanks Neil

·
Registered
67 Posts
My ATAS came with the Dunlops. Must be gripping ok as I seem to have lost all my chicken strips (front and rear) :O

·
Registered
3 Posts
Long-time lurker (Thank you--I've learned so much!), first-time poster.

I have a 2018 standard AT here in Japan. While changing my windshield to a Puig Tourer the other day, I took special care to avoid losing the dreaded well nuts. On closer inspection, though, it looks like Honda may have updated the 2018 well nuts with plastic washers to prevent them from being pushed all the way through. Mine certainly seemed to be held solidly in place. If so, it was a nice little tweak to save some frustration.

BlackJake

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts