Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MC Cruise Control is now available for 2018 Throttle By Wire AT and ATAS Bikes. Mine has just arrived from Australia, I’m currently installing it at the moment, almost finished, just got to do all the testing and configuration, then reassemble the bike. Pretty straight forward to be honest, could be completed by anyone comfortable with removing fairing and fuel tank, as most of it is just plugging in a few connectors, routing cables down the side of frame. Instructions that come with the kit are very comprehensive, the DCT bike is easier to fit, as it has less to connect and the air box doesn’t need removing on DCT, whereas the manual bike does.

Well, just having a bit to eat and back out to finish off. :grin2:

Then I’ve got to do it all over again on brothers bike. :surprise::wink2: I guess it’s going to be a late night, but now I’ve done one, it will be much quicker on the other.

Looking forward to testing it out tomorrow. :grin2: Will report back tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How'd it go?!
On a 1 to 5 scale of difficulty rating to fit, I’d say it’s a 3, just time consuming due to the way the ATAS/AT fairing is mounted and fuel tank removal. Off out for a ride later this morning, once I’ve done a few jobs around the house. A nice trip down to the New Forest, to the nice people at Rugged Roads. Will be interesting to see how the cruise interacts with DCT. :grin2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
So sweet! I'm really surprised that Honda didn't add that on themselves. Such a nice upgrade! Congratulations on you purchase and successful installation!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Forgive my ignorance if this is somewhere on their site (I looked for a bit but didn't find anything), does this allow you to set a specific speed or does it just hold a specific throttle position? I.e. is it like modern car cruise control or more like an electronic throttle lock?

·
Registered
131 Posts
You set it at the speed you are doing and want, you can adjust it 0.62 mph per push of the button (I think that can be changed upto 2 mph each time). No speed is shown on the device, you can accelerate beyond a set speed (say to overtake), then release the throttle and it will slow to the set speed. Tested mine on Monday and it’s well worth the money, we’ll happy, it’s my No.1 farkle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You set it at the speed you are doing and want, you can adjust it 0.62 mph per push of the button (I think that can be changed upto 2 mph each time). No speed is shown on the device, you can accelerate beyond a set speed (say to overtake), then release the throttle and it will slow to the set speed. Tested mine on Monday and it’s well worth the money, we’ll happy, it’s my No.1 farkle.
Good to know, thanks for the info! Will have to check one out next year when I've got more farkle funds.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
will it cancel out when you step or pull the brakes?
Yes, on DCT bike it’s front or rear and the off button on cruise handle bar control. On manual bike, it’s same, but also clutch. When you start the bike, you have to apply the brake, so the cruise computer confirms their signal, if you don’t, the cruise will not work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I installed the Mccruise on my ATAS DCT a few days ago. Since it is throttle by wire, there are no mechanical connections - it all just wires into your bike's wiring harness. All of the supplied components are high quality. I mounted mine under my passenger seat. I used a piece of thin plywood to mount it to so that I could use the mounts intended for the factory alarm (which I don't have).

The throttle grip does not move when it is active. You just let go of the throttle grip once you have set it and let it return. With the DCT, the transmission will shift as it normally would while the cruise control is active. The switches are backlit which is a nice touch. All the connections made to the bike's harness are waterproof like the original connections. I highly recommend it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looking to put the MC Cruise on my ATAS manual... Were there any permanent mods necessary? de-pinning connectors? or was it all plug-n-play? can you ovetake using the throttle or do you have to disable cruise? Are there any speed limitations like wont engage over 80mph?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looking to put the MC Cruise on my ATAS manual... Were there any permanent mods necessary? de-pinning connectors? or was it all plug-n-play? can you ovetake using the throttle or do you have to disable cruise? Are there any speed limitations like wont engage over 80mph?

The installation did require depinning one wire in each of two connectors (for the DCT version). They supplied the tool necessary and very detailed instructions for doing this. The modifications can easily be reversed by removing the cruise control harness and replacing the original wires in the connectors.

I have not tried cruising at over 80mph, but I do not remember the instructions mentioning any speed limitation. The cruise control allows you to increase the speed using the throttle without disengaging the cruise control. The cruise control disengages instantly any time the brakes are used.

The cruise control works better than any cruise control I have used - mainly because there is no mechanical connection to the throttles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know its an old thread but

Hi When ordering from Australia, can you say how much postage was and is there any import tax or other horrors?
I assume you can just go to website and use credit card?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just fitted one to my bike, unfortunately I now have a problem, i have no throttle, bike starts but wont rev and the engine light stays on, have completed the set on a number of occasions but still no throttle. Has anyone else experience this problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts