Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hope you guys can help me. I looked around on the forums but all the threads seemed to show a tilt issue or cold start. Both seemed different that what i was experiencing.

. Little background. I bought my bike 2 months ago and put 400 miles on the odometer, and then was done for a month because of a surgery. I started the bike twice over that time and saw no issues with starting it. I left the fuel low and this last Tuesday i topped it off with fresh fast and rode it to work. It started fine (both in the morning and on the way home). This morning i went to go ride and the bike just kept cranking but wouldn't start. I normally leave the highbeams on and i noticed they weren't lighting up (no indicator and only the headlight was on). I figured the battery was dead so I pulled it from the bike and set it on a trickle charger to charge and checked my fuses. It finished up (light was green on the charger) and i tested it with a multimeter and it showed 13.2v-13.7v. High beams work now after toggling the switch a few times. Called my local dealer to see if they had any experience and they told me to tow it in in 3 weeks, when they had an opening.

TLDR:
Bike suddenly wont start
starter engages
bike starts to go (hear the cylinders fire two or three times) and dies
throttle applied makes in any amount = the starter just cranks but engine never fires
Battery removed from bike for 1+ hour
battery charged and reads 13.3+v
Fuses under seat checked

EDIT: Just tried doing the TPS reset ( key on to CRF, key off, kill switch to off, thottle to full and kill switch to start for 5 seconds and release both) and no luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Checked the spark plug today and saw sparks from it. checked the main Fuse panel (opposite the battery) and all the fuses were good. Guess I'll try to drain the fuel and see if there is anything in the gas. The gas station near my house isn't known for having the most stellar gas so maybe that was the issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does that happen at such low miles (400)? From what i read most people saw it around 5000+ miles. I know the bike was manufactured in 2018 but i was hoping that wasn't the issue.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Obviously it should not happen..... A 2 month bike with 400miles on the clock should not stop running for any reason, anyway. But since you say that the electrics seem fine including spark on the plugs, then next in order are fuel pump and injectors.

BTW, the engine check indicator, goes off when you turn main switch ON?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the lights all flash on and then everything but the Oil, Neutral, Traction and ABS light shuts off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the right side opposite of the battery. there were only two fuses i believe (fuel pump and ABS?) and both were good. Or is there more than just those two fuses?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think there should also be there the FI fuse in a separate enclosure.
Also, may I suggest that you use your voltmeter and check the voltage drop when cranking. I have witnessed on another bike (not an Africa) that the battery would crank but there was not enough battery strength to feed fuel. So maybe your battery as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the pictures! those were the fuses i checked and they were good. Ill go try the battery check here in a bit and report back.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Aside those fuses there are two more, the main fuses located on the starter relay. Maybe you should also check those if not done yet

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked those fuses just now and they were good. Maybe it is the battery. I checked the voltage and it read 12.v2. Started it and it dropped to 10.5v (with two dips down to 10.1v) and after trying to start the battery held stable at 11.5v.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think you should share this info with your mechanic. Not wait 3 wks for that. If it is the battery eventually , your warranty should cover it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mechanic just recommended bringing the bike in for an appointment and said they were booked for a couple weeks. Told me he couldn't offer any advice over the phone other than getting a Lithium compliant battery tender and see if it will charge back up to 13.4v-13.8v.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Charged the battery up and the bike now tries to start but wont stay on past the starter switch. Took the switch apart and it appears to still be making good contact so it looks like its an issue with the fuel system. Guess I'm stuck waiting for my appointment at the Dealership.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, every time i flip the switch i hear the "whine" of it getting power. and it shuts off after a few seconds.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Charged the battery up and the bike now tries to start but wont stay on past the starter switch. Took the switch apart and it appears to still be making good contact so it looks like its an issue with the fuel system. Guess I'm stuck waiting for my appointment at the Dealership.
Just to remove this factor.....you do not twist the throttle open while trying to crank it, right?

·
Super Moderator
3,106 Posts
Yeah, every time i flip the switch i hear the "whine" of it getting power. and it shuts off after a few seconds.
That sounds like a normal description.

I know members like Cuch have primo experience with clogged fuel pump filters, so I was wondering what a fuel pump prime might sound or behave like if the filter was clogged (e.g. struggle and suck on nothing?). I would have suspected an instrument panel warning light, but I could wrong. Nevertheless, sounds like normal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to remove this factor.....you do not twist the throttle open while trying to crank it, right?
if I use no throttle the egine starts to catch (sounds like normal idle) and stops ( only lasts maybe a second). If I feather the throttle right after it catches the RPMs will jump up initially, but the bike still dies after 1-2 second. If I use any throttle when I hit the starter then it just cranks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts