Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
if I use no throttle the egine starts to catch (sounds like normal idle) and stops ( only lasts maybe a second). If I feather the throttle right after it catches the RPMs will jump up initially, but the bike still dies after 1-2 second. If I use any throttle when I hit the starter then it just cranks.
My 17 was doing the same thing. I found that I had some oil in my crankcase breather tube. Let out the tiny bit of oil and all was good again. There are 3 tubes and it’s the clear tube closest the riders seat on the left side.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good idea! Unfortunately, I just checked and they appear to be bone dry. I’ll open all three and double check tomorrow though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, just checked all three tubes and they were empty. It definitely looks like a fuel delivery problem. I trained my gas tank, but didn't see any particulates. Bikes gonna go into the shop on Friday next week. Hopefully I won't need to wait very long for them to diagnose the issue and get it fixed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Dealer called me today and told me the fuel pump would prime and then lose pressure. 10 days to get a new one to the dealer unfortunately. They did not pull the tank or check the insides however. I asked if they could and they said they would look when they swapped the fuel pump.

·
Super Moderator
1,037 Posts
Dealer called me today and told me the fuel pump would prime and then lose pressure. 10 days to get a new one to the dealer unfortunately. They did not pull the tank or check the insides however. I asked if they could and they said they would look when they swapped the fuel pump.
Ugh yeah. It is definitely worth a look. They should do that now, rather than when the fuel pump arrives, because they may need to replace both injectors as well if the issue is particulate build up.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So the dealership replaced the fuel pump and seal/gasket under warranty. I was informed they didn't discover any other issues with the bike, but the mechanic that worked on it was not at work today when I picked it up and the guy who provided me the paperwork had no clue other than the pump/gasket. So no clue if they checked the fuel filter/tank for particulates. Looks like I'll drive it around for a bit and if the issue crops back up, I'll run it up the chain at Honda Corporate.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
So the dealership replaced the fuel pump and seal/gasket under warranty. I was informed they didn't discover any other issues with the bike, but the mechanic that worked on it was not at work today when I picked it up and the guy who provided me the paperwork had no clue other than the pump/gasket. So no clue if they checked the fuel filter/tank for particulates. Looks like I'll drive it around for a bit and if the issue crops back up, I'll run it up the chain at Honda Corporate.

Arrg. Not enough customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah, There wasn't a whole lot of interactions. Between COVID restrictions and the number of bikes they had backlog I can kind of understand it, but it's a bit irritating. I know they just follow a manual for trouble shooting according to Honda's specifications, but it would be nice if they could check or communicate that they did check for peace of mind.

Since the fuel pump is inside the tank (I believe), they should have noticed if there was. I checked the fuel that was drained so hopefully it was just a faulty pump from the factory.

·
Super Moderator
1,037 Posts
Yeah, There wasn't a whole lot of interactions. Between COVID restrictions and the number of bikes they had backlog I can kind of understand it, but it's a bit irritating. I know they just follow a manual for trouble shooting according to Honda's specifications, but it would be nice if they could check or communicate that they did check for peace of mind.

Since the fuel pump is inside the tank (I believe), they should have noticed if there was. I checked the fuel that was drained so hopefully it was just a faulty pump from the factory.
I am surprised they didn't also replace both fuel injectors. Both times I had mine it was clean the tank, replace fuel pump, seal and gasket, replace both fuel injectors. That is according to American Honda the recommended procedure, though American Honda claims the dealer didn't clean the tank properly the first time, resulting in the repeat visit.

Edit: I think the odds of it just being a faulty pump on its own is probably more unlikely than particulate buildup causing an issue. Those things are pretty bullet proof on their own, but you never know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That's what I figured. I've never had a fuel pump in any vehicle fail before 40-50k miles (and generally those were all old vehicles from the 70s-80s)

·
Super Moderator
1,037 Posts
That is what I would expect as well. Obviously, with any product, there is a chance you can just get a lemon, but I would put money on an external cause rather than just a bad pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A bit of information. The battery is considered flat at 12.4 volts and that ain’t much cranking. The AT won’t inject or the HISS won’t release without a really heathy battery. Had load of problems due to covid and not running the bike. The thing would spin happily but no joy until a really full battery was put in. I now know that if she don’t start within 5 seconds she won’t start at all.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
A bit of information. The battery is considered flat at 12.4 volts and that ain’t much cranking. The AT won’t inject or the HISS won’t release without a really heathy battery. Had load of problems due to covid and not running the bike. The thing would spin happily but no joy until a really full battery was put in. I now know that if she don’t start within 5 seconds she won’t start at all.
The Africa Twin isn't the only Honda motorcycle that won't start once the battery can no longer supply a minimum amount of required current.

Welcome to the Forum Cheesey!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts