Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on a Alaska trip in 2019 Summer. Last week of June and 1st and 2nd week of July (I am flexible on time). I will be leaving from Toledo, OH area and heading straight to Whitehorse and then doing Top of the World Highway.
Then to Fairbanks and Prudhoe bay and back.
I did this trip solo in 2017 July on my KTM 1190 and had mechanical issues and had to turn back from Coldfoot and finally front suspension gave out. Looking to see if anyone is heading that way and hopefully I will have better luck with Africa twin especially availability of parts.
I am very familiar with the routes, stops, hotel, camping etc. along the way and what preparations to make and what to take and what not to.
Get in contact with me if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the process of selling the farm. If we can get the close in time this year I'm heading Prudhoe. If not I'm in for going with you next year.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Not sure how you're making your way west but if you come through Alberta and want a riding partner for a day or two or need any help along the way please feel free to message me.

I made it up to Eagle Plains on the Dempster Highway and there was flooding at the ferries and nasty weather and had to turn around. It's amazingly beautiful up north.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last time I came thru Montana and then Calgary and Edmonton, this time will be heading thru Saskatoon to Edmonton more straight route. But I will definitely let you know before I head out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm in the planning process too, mid June to July. Seattle to Fairbanks to Prudhoe, top of the world, more. Group a bit larger than ideal but it's for a bucket-list item for an almost 80 year old soldier who lives to ride, and ski. May be towing his KLR with his Gold Wing. My first long distance trip, just outfitting my '17 AT.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Mid-June is pretty early up North. Be prepared for real arctic weather in the mountains and as you get into Northern provinces - snow is possible.
I went mid-July and still had a day of sleet/snow and just above zero Celsius temperatures. Good luck with your planning. If you have any questions or want suggestions for riding here in Alberta feel free to send me a message.

I'm in the planning process too, mid June to July. Seattle to Fairbanks to Prudhoe, top of the world, more. Group a bit larger than ideal but it's for a bucket-list item for an almost 80 year old soldier who lives to ride, and ski. May be towing his KLR with his Gold Wing. My first long distance trip, just outfitting my '17 AT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts