Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, let me preface this with 2 things:

1) I realize that this is a Honda Africa Twin forum so it probably has a lot of both Honda and Africa Twin fan bois (myself included)

2) I have ridden a couple BMW motorcycles and I think they make an incredible motorcycle.

After seeing the newly released F850GS adventure, I got worried that I made a horrible mistake in the fact that I did not at least wait until I could test drive one before purchasing my ATAS. So naturally, I pulled up the ATAS and F850GS adventure spec sheets and started comparing them side-by-side. After about 5 minutes my tune changed completely and started to wonder who the **** in their right mind would purchase the BMW over the AS?? The adventure sports beat the GS on almost every single spec (power/suspension travel/ground clearance/weight/fuel capacity/etc), really the only spec that the BMW seemed better on was the fuel consumption and considering the smaller fuel tank it seems like a bit of a wash. I haven't even mentioned the obvious fact that the AS has the DCT option...

With all that being said, can anyone explain why someone would spend around USD$3k more for a BMW F850GS Adventure over an ATAS?

The bike does look sexy as **** though.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also have written several BMWs and they are good bikes. I think to make a true informed decision about this you would have to ride both the bikes back to back to do a real comparison, numbers as we all know doesn't always tell everything. I believe both bikes are good bikes and it may very well be the Honda is the better option for 3K less but until I ride both of them I know I couldn't make an informed decision about it. Never the last unfortunately I did not test ride BMWs because they were not in my price point and so I went with the Africa twin it suited my budget.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah why do not buy a BMW with a chinese loncin engine for just 3k more .
they got just two main engine recall since were presented , what can go wrong....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Perhaps under engineered an undersized front forks that the only true fix is a $2,800 pair of aftermarket shocks to go up front. What about under supported widscreen braces and right foot peg mounts that break, oh and handlebar control failures and instrumentation that suffers water intrusion. I think they all have problems and short comings tbh after all humans design and build them. I know the haters when it comes to the Chinese made rotax but hey, I make BMW cars in good ol Spartanburg SC so I get global manufacturing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps under engineered an undersized front forks that the only true fix is a $2,800 pair of aftermarket shocks to go up front. What about under supported widscreen braces and right foot peg mounts that break, oh and handlebar control failures and instrumentation that suffers water intrusion. I think they all have problems and short comings tbh after all humans design and build them. I know the haters when it comes to the Chinese made rotax but hey, I make BMW cars in good ol Spartanburg SC so I get global manufacturing.

I believe the F850GS Adventure has 43 mm forks and the ATAS has 45 mm and since they roughly weigh the same (Africa Twin supposedly weighs slightly less). I am by no means a suspension expert, so correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that mean that the forks on the BMW are then even more under engineered / undersized than the ones on the ATAS. Mind you I am strictly talking about the adventure sports version vs the f850gs adventure model.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Perhaps but the point I was making is all though we chose the AT in one of it's various forms and it is a great bike (I love mine) neither our or the other options are perfect either mechanically or personally. I have rode some good bikes that either the ergos or just the way they ride didn't make them a good choice for me. If it would have been a good fit or I liked it and a comparable model from another manufacturer was cheaper but I don't like it then it's a moot point. Value for your investment on an object like motorcycles isn't derived from tangible factors due to the very fact our hobby/sport/addiction is founded in emotions.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I wanted to like the 800, I already owned an 800S and really liked that bike... As a toy. I wanted to like the 800GS as a replacement for my old 1100. But, I found it bland and unexciting. And it wasn't as though this opinion was based on an ordinary test ride. I hired one for 4 days riding in the Black Forest, by day 3 I gave it back and spent day 4 on a friends 1200. While he and his wife went to Baden Baden for the day. I really can't see how an 850 would be any better, or better than my AT 'Sport. I'm pretty much done with BMW, The company and the way they deal with their customers is very different to the company I had to deal with back in the 1990s. Too big to care, just about sums them up nowadays.

The only 800 that tempts me is the very sweet F800R with AC Schnitzer exhaust, to my mind this is the only F bike worth a second glance. (As a toy)

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Doesn't matter if it was a salami sammich. If that bike is what makes someone happy its a great bike for them. I honestly don't understand why it's such a issue to you what engine a company uses on a bike you don't own. Do you have a axe to grind with BMW? Did they do you wrong somehow in the past? I've never rode a 800 or 650 gs only the boxer once and honestly enjoyed it very much. Can't attest to the reliability and cost of ownership but if the bike lit my soul on fire and met my need I would have bought it. I personally love all bikes and if I had the cash I would own one from every manufacturer. Even the Chinese one's.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Doesn't matter if it was a salami sammich. If that bike is what makes someone happy its a great bike for them. I honestly don't understand why it's such a issue to you what engine a company uses on a bike you don't own. Do you have a axe to grind with BMW? Did they do you wrong somehow in the past? I've never rode a 800 or 650 gs only the boxer once and honestly enjoyed it very much. Can't attest to the reliability and cost of ownership but if the bike lit my soul on fire and met my need I would have bought it. I personally love all bikes and if I had the cash I would own one from every manufacturer. Even the Chinese one's.

That´s the problem , i can attest reliability and cost of ownership . Good and bad things. That´s why i give a word about .
Also this bikes are not assembled in US , but the factory is in Berlin.
Rest are just words .

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree with Paxtonbrimstone, if it makes you happy it is a good thing. To be honest, the thing that sold me on an adventure bike was 5 days in West Virginia on a rented 1200GS. I absolutely loved the bike, but given that the nearest BMW dealers are an hour away, and given the cost, I opted for the ATAS for convenience, reliability, etc. Oh, yes, I can lean my AT over till the pegs scrape with out feeling out of control just like on the Beamer. And Pax, as a good friend of mine, a moto-journalist for Rider wrote just a few issues ago when asked how many bikes are enough, responded "just one more". It's all good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a topic on F850 but seems it disappeared. Here in UK that BMW is less money (like for like equipment) compared to CRF1000. In addition you can configure F850 with many modern options, which are not available for AT at all. Also it comes with tubeless wheels standard and with my overall BMW experience most probably would ride at least as good if not better.

Although I am not impressed how my AT fare cosmetically (and I think Honda build quality is just a myth nowadays), I still tend to believe it would be more reliable compared to the Bimmer. And DCT option is unique and I quite enjoy it.

So everyone is free to made their choice, but one for all I am glad there are many choices out-there and manufacturers truly compete each other. That can be only advantage for us, the users.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Having people I know on BMWs and having being myself in different dealerships, BMW, KAWI, YAM, HONDA, I can tell you all the mechanics I know well and don't work for BMW,
don't want to have anything to do with them, they are overall unreliable as adventure machines and even one now YAM dealer used to sell BMW and switched, telling them literally to
pick their **** up and go **** themselves.
He needed 4 full time mechanics only for warranty claims and this wasn't a big city dealership, so the guy wasn't making profit he switched to Japanese, I think this says a lot !

People can enjoy BMWs I reall don't mind, I'll just stay with the reliability of japanese makers myself.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I really can't see how an 850 would be any better, or better than my AT 'Sport.
It should be better than the 800 because it's now a 270 degree parallel twin (like the AT), rather than the unpleasant BMW 360-degree 800 parallel twin. Their old parallel twin didn't really do it for me in any of the 3 bikes I tried it in, but I'm curious about the new one. If they come out with an F850GT or F850XR I might give it a try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have come to the AT after three top of the range BMW (Burn My Wallet) RT boxers and while a good bike thought the boxer engines were always rough by nature. I test rode the 850GS and couldn't get over how poor it was even compared to the boxer, both the engine and gear box were unbelievably course and crude.

The 850GS also looks and feels cheap and for all its fancy rear suspension electronics the front forks are not at all adjustable.

I also tested the Triumph 800 XCA which I think is a cracking bike but too road focused and it has a small tank range.

For me the AT (AS DCT in my case) is a good quality product and has a far smoother engine than the BMW 850GS also strong competition for the Triumph 800. I don't think the AT should be compared directly to the GS1200/1250 and the like because they are different bikes and five grand more expensive. That said, for me the AT stands tall and scores very well against those bikes also.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts