Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a new 2019 DCT Honda Africa Twin from the dealership. The bike had 9 miles on it when I picked it up. At pickup it was raining extremely hard so I asked the dealer to load the bike on my pickup. I did not want to test ride the bike because of the rain and did not want to wreck my new bike. When I arrived home 8hrs later and finished unloading my bike. I notice the Check Engine light on, ABS Light on, and Bike remained in 1st gear and would not change gears. Has this been an issue with the Honda DCT Africa Twins? HELP?

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I attempt to ride it. It will not shift automatically or manually. The ABS light remains on even if I try to accelerate pass 20mph. Which is very weird. There is also a bright (T) symbol on the left hand side that stayed on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A Honda Dealer installing a front wheel in the wrong direction? Wouldn't this of been checked prior to delivery? And does the wheel already come installed on the Honda from the manufacturer?

·
Registered
73 Posts
They install the front wheel, sensor rung should be left as you sit on bike with the sensor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tire is likely installed correctly, with just the wheel mounted backwards. You can check the arrow on the tire to ensure rotation is correct. This is an easy fix, but there are steps that need to be followed per the service manual. I attached the front wheel portion of the service manual. I would also ensure the caliper mounting bolts are the correct ones for road use. The bike is shipped with shipping bolts in the calipers, and the dealer is suppose to install the road-use bolts during build-up. Given that they installed the wheel backwards, I would double check these bolts. You can find the background on the bolt issue at this forum link: Spare Bolts from the factory

I also find it strange that the bike had 11 miles with the wheel on backwards? Who rode this thing for 11 miles and didn't realize there was a serious issue? Or did something happen during that 11 miles to warrant a removal of the front wheel for some reason? Interesting...

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
...I'll also add that it will likely take 3-4 On/Off cycles with riding to clear the check engine light. This is normal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the useful information. Now this Dealer is going to get an earful in the morning. How do you sell me a Brand New Bike with the sensor installed backwards? This should of been checked prior to delivery. Where is the Quality Control? I am more than 8hrs away so I cannot just ride there in the AM and get this corrected. I am pissed.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I’m guessing a flat after assembly, then some genius put the tire on backwards and then the wheel Or just the wheel, is the tire rotation correct?
Someone took it for a trip around the block got a flat and then.... This whole fIsco

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Thanks for all the useful information. Now this Dealer is going to get an earful in the morning. How do you sell me a Brand New Bike with the sensor installed backwards? This should of been checked prior to delivery. Where is the Quality Control? I am more than 8hrs away so I cannot just ride there in the AM and get this corrected. I am pissed.
Agreed!
But I’m happy to hear it is just a quick fix you can do and no real issue.
Don’t forget the check engine light will stay on for a bit, because the ECU thinks there is an issue with the front wheel sensor because it’s not reading it. But after a bit of riding it will go out...

BTW take pics before you fix it (if you do), so you can show them and ask WTF?
and or post them on their social media accounts.

Reactions: Bookem

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do...Quick question is this the reason the bike wouldn't go into gears? Because it will not shift out of 1st Gear?

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
With out the wheel sensor the ECU won’t allow it

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Ok thanks for the all the information. Will keep the Community posted on the outcome.
There are other other quirks.
if it’s in gear and you put the side stand down it will shut the bike off.
if the side stand is down it won’t go in gear.
if you put it in N you can put the side stand down an the bike will stay running.
D mode is all about gas mileage, it will have you in 6th at 35mph
S - 3 is more like most people shift.
you can get a better shift pattern (more like you’d be used to) in D mode by keeping the RPM’s above 3k when you take off..

just some tips for when you get her all fixed right...

Reactions: Reyviator

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Sadly, you probably had to sign an acceptance on delivery that everything was to your inspection satisfaction. Hopefully the dealership will not hassle you regarding this.

As AT-D suggested, take lots of pictures and include the VIN number where possible. You never know.

These vehicles are supposed to pass inspection prior to final delivery to customer.

I hope nobody took a nice hard ride for a few miles in first gear. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes it seems quite a common problem on your side of the pond. Tyre should have direction arrow on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Yes it seems quite a common problem on your side of the pond. Tyre should have direction arrow on it.
Yeah, a bit crazy ... and not just the Africa Twins.

Maybe they don't take the front wheel off when they ship to England?

<<crickets chirping>>

... yeah, it is definitely us. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts