Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyone is using for luggage. I bought my ATAS last August and at the time planned on moving my existing Kappa aluminum side cases over to the new bike (previous bike was an FJ-09). No luck as Kappa had no plans to make racks for the ATAS that worked with their side cases. So, I found a set of Moose Racing side cases...45 litres a piece...gobs of room. Bought a set of Outback Motortek racks and Happy Trails mounting pucks and went to mounting everything on. All done. Love the fact that I have more room then an SUV...but my bike is now just as wide as an SUV. HAHA!! Not sure i'm liking that. So, wondering what everyone else is using for luggage. I prefer the aluminum for lockability as I commute and camp quite often. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
175 Posts
Just wondering what everyone is using for luggage. I bought my ATAS last August and at the time planned on moving my existing Kappa aluminum side cases over to the new bike (previous bike was an FJ-09). No luck as Kappa had no plans to make racks for the ATAS that worked with their side cases. So, I found a set of Moose Racing side cases...45 litres a piece...gobs of room. Bought a set of Outback Motortek racks and Happy Trails mounting pucks and went to mounting everything on. All done. Love the fact that I have more room then an SUV...but my bike is now just as wide as an SUV. HAHA!! Not sure i'm liking that. So, wondering what everyone else is using for luggage. I prefer the aluminum for lockability as I commute and camp quite often. Thoughts?

We need pictures... or it never happened... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I went with soft bags on my 2019 ATAS... Nelson-Rigg Adventure Deluxe and a Emgo Top Box. I needed it to carry my lunch and some extra layers when I take them of for the afternoon ride home. Both have served me very well so far.

·
Super Moderator
5,761 Posts
I can't stand side panniers, but bit down on the tongue and acquired a SW-Motech PRO + a pair of Kappa K22N (22L each) lockable and waterproof buckets. They are narrow and practical, especially for urban-like runs. To keep everything extra secure, I also added a pair of SW-Motech PRO carrier locks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dang...that is wide...bigger than most VWs! :LOL: JK...You will certainly be able to carry a lot o'stuff in those.

I just ordered the Honda ATAS Poly bags and top case...should be in this week and l'll report back. I chose these as I don't intend to use off-road and I like the idea of not having racks on the bike when I don't need the bags. Hopefully, they work out well...it's always a crap-shoot...a very expensive crap-shoot...😒

·
Registered
211 Posts
I learnt long ago that I'd fill whatever space was available and often got home from a trip with a fair few things that I'd not worn/used. For that reason alone I've gone for a slightly small capacity pannier system by Bumot, having had the OE plastic Honda ones for 3+ years. The Honda ones were fine but a faff....the Bumot are top loading and I simply open them and drop in the ready packed inner bag. Way less hassle. If it doesn't fit in the inner bag it doesn't go with me

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was going to ask how you were able to refloat the "Bismarck"!! hahaha.

Those 45l cases and the top box is pretty much the perfect commuting bike, for us in Canada that aren't allowed to lane split. I am sure some of our European members are picking their jaws off of the floor. Like you said SUV like storage, plus if you ride in some parts of Canada you can experience all 4 seasons in one day! It is nice to have rain gear or extra gloves with you. There are days where I wished I had more room. I could see if I worked in a different setting I would have to upsize my on bike storage. Luckily for me I don't change jobsites often, maybe once every 2 years, and I have my own office where I can store extra clothes/boots and or my riding gear.

Thanks for the pics, and what a primo parking spot. (y)

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
331 Posts
I went with the poly bags as well. So far I can't complain. I really love not having any mounting hardware on the bike. A big plus is I can use one key to unlock everything. If I ever went serious offroading with it, I'd go soft luggage anyway. I have destroyed some of the best hard panniers offroad. Now I just go with the soft bags instead.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mosko backcountry on SW PRO racks. Fantastic bags for travel and camping with an extremely convenient mounting system. Versatile, rugged and well thought out. Can lock both to racks and you can wrap a steel core or other such cable around the bag and under the locking bar to lock it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mosko backcountry on SW PRO racks. Fantastic bags for travel and camping with an extremely convenient mounting system. Versatile, rugged and well thought out. Can lock both to racks and you can wrap a steel core or other such cable around the bag and under the locking bar to lock it.

View attachment 63084
What a awesome shot!!! Let me guess, you don't get many Hobos rooting through your bags at that parking spot do you?? You'll have to forgive my drooling... I am from southern Ontario :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

View attachment 63084
I agree...absolutely gorgeous shot!!! I don't see that where I am either...have to travel off island for that kind of scenery!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Very happy with the TouraTech EVO X panniers. Their mounting system is rock solid and easy to operate. Plenty of capacity and already proven drop-tough on a few low speed wipeouts.
The bike rack is my own doing and also works great with or without the EVO X's.

·
Registered
605 Posts
What a awesome shot!!! Let me guess, you don't get many Hobos rooting through your bags at that parking spot do you?? You'll have to forgive my drooling... I am from southern Ontario :ROFLMAO:
Hahahaha. If the hobo had the stones to walk a FSR for 40km to root around in my bags for decade old camping equipment and random cans of beer, I feel like he is welcome to it.

I know southern Ontario well. Nothing quite like it around them parts ;) I live close to the DTES in Van, so hobos are a problem, just not out in the bush! I can be alone at that site in under three hours, with stops, from my door. Vancouver is a special kind of stupid.

I agree...absolutely gorgeous shot!!! I don't see that where I am either...have to travel off island for that kind of scenery!!!
Thanks man. I'm guessing you don't mean Vancouver Island then?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just wondering what everyone is using for luggage. I bought my ATAS last August and at the time planned on moving my existing Kappa aluminum side cases over to the new bike (previous bike was an FJ-09). No luck as Kappa had no plans to make racks for the ATAS that worked with their side cases. So, I found a set of Moose Racing side cases...45 litres a piece...gobs of room. Bought a set of Outback Motortek racks and Happy Trails mounting pucks and went to mounting everything on. All done. Love the fact that I have more room then an SUV...but my bike is now just as wide as an SUV. HAHA!! Not sure i'm liking that. So, wondering what everyone else is using for luggage. I prefer the aluminum for lockability as I commute and camp quite often.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Using the factory set-up. No complaints, and I can get the bike to naked form, no racks to mess with, in a jiffy. They’re great on the road, but having just had a hip replacement it will probably be late summer/early fall before I gear up for off-road and mount my new Heidenaus. Soft bags my well be in our future.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have different options for different situations. Like @TheMKoi said, up here in Canada, you can't leave the house without rain gear, layers and different gloves for different weather patterns. We also cannot (read, should not) lane split so no point having a narrow bike. I have aluminum Touratech 45L one one side and a 38 on the side with the pipe. I love the big boxes as I can also do a ton of errands and everything fits. They are lockable so I can do road trips and feel relatively secure.

For off-road trips I have the Nelson Riggs Throw-Over dry bags. They are the lowest cost ones I have found and they take a pretty good beating.

In both cases, depending on how much I need to carry, I also throw a 50L duffle on the pillion seat. I then have more carry room than many small sedans : )

When travelling in areas I do not feel great about, I carry a Pacsafe lockable net.

If I was to do it again, I would look at the Adventure Spec Magadan Panniers. These are soft panniers that have integrated PacSafe cables in them. The new ones from Lone Rider also look super interesting (but super expensive!).
20200818_194907.jpg

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quite a few Kappa products share the same mounting system as Givi products. Any chance Givi has a mounting system for the CRF that will work with your Kappa luggage?

·
Super Moderator
5,761 Posts
Quite a few Kappa products share the same mounting system as Givi products. Any chance Givi has a mounting system for the CRF that will work with your Kappa luggage?
It is a good point. Kappa, I believe, is owned by Givi.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts