Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 ATAS Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
With no real skill this morning I managed to knock some of the ’new’ off my 2020 ATAS Manual.
Riding in the middle of a track between the ruts when the front end slipped in and well, that was all she wrote.

The Outback Motortek crash bars stood up well, but the front indicator and bar mounts don’t look so clever. Riding along after and noticed the bars are a little skewed. In full left lock the right Barkbuster now touches the screen mount...a new feature haha. Nothing is visibly bent, but I can only think that it’s the OEM handlebar mounts that have twisted.
Does anyone know where I could get these from in the UK?

Innovative ideas on how I can stop busting off indicators would also be more than welcome 😂

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
136 Posts
Have you tried loosening the triple clamp bolts and recenter the bars?

Reactions: Salty93

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
175 Posts
I am with Rustynut2 on this one... all you have to do is loosen your lower triple clamp bolts, lower pinch bolts and axle. I do mean just loosen, don't back them all the way out, maybe a 1/4 turn tops. I would even loosen the bolts holding the fender, then push down on the bars or even better the top triple clamp itself. Some times you will have to loosen the top clamp up as well, I usually try and skip that step. Try and push straight down, 90 degrees to the ground, not in the same plane as the forks travel. This will force the inverted forks back to straight. Once it is straightened, after 3 or 5 pushes, tighten up the lower triple clamp and then the pinch bolts and axle, and fender bolts back to spec. Snug everything up slowly, you might have to run through the bolts 2 or 3 times to bring them all tight together. Go for a rip around the block and repeat if it is still messed up. If it is fix go crack a beer. I have done this a few time on my old bikes.

There are lots of Youtube videos that can walk you through it. Good luck!

Reactions: Jr503 and Salty93

·
Registered
2020 ATAS Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am with Rustynut2 on this one... all you have to do is loosen your lower triple clamp bolts, lower pinch bolts and axle. I do mean just loosen, don't back them all the way out, maybe a 1/4 turn tops. I would even loosen the bolts holding the fender, then push down on the bars or even better the top triple clamp itself. Some times you will have to loosen the top clamp up as well, I usually try and skip that step. Try and push straight down, 90 degrees to the ground, not in the same plane as the forks travel. This will force the inverted forks back to straight. Once it is straightened, after 3 or 5 pushes, tighten up the lower triple clamp and then the pinch bolts and axle, and fender bolts back to spec. Snug everything up slowly, you might have to run through the bolts 2 or 3 times to bring them all tight together. Go for a rip around the block and repeat if it is still messed up. If it is fix go crack a beer. I have done this a few time on my old bikes.

There are lots of Youtube videos that can walk you through it. Good luck!
Brilliant, thanks MKoi. I’ll give it a go!
Ben.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
136 Posts
FYI, the triple tree clamps have different torque values upper/lower. They are designed to give before something breaks in case of soil samples and the occasional dirt naps. Use a good torque wrench here, some folks have even lowered the torque value on the lower bolts as too not pinch the tube.

Reactions: Salty93

·
Registered
2020 ATAS Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI, the triple tree clamps have different torque values upper/lower. They are designed to give before something breaks in case of soil samples and the occasional dirt naps. Use a good torque wrench here, some folks have even lowered the torque value on the lower bolts as too not pinch the tube.
I’ll be sure to do that. The abused old torque wrench will be giving way to the freshly calibrated one!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi All!
With no real skill this morning I managed to knock some of the ’new’ off my 2020 ATAS Manual.
Riding in the middle of a track between the ruts when the front end slipped in and well, that was all she wrote.

The Outback Motortek crash bars stood up well, but the front indicator and bar mounts don’t look so clever. Riding along after and noticed the bars are a little skewed. In full left lock the right Barkbuster now touches the screen mount...a new feature haha. Nothing is visibly bent, but I can only think that it’s the OEM handlebar mounts that have twisted.
Does anyone know where I could get these from in the UK?

Innovative ideas on how I can stop busting off indicators would also be more than welcome 😂

View attachment 63031
If the 2020 uses a similar setup as the earlier ones, you may want to loosen and retighten the bar risers before tackling the triple clamps.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the 2020 uses a similar setup as the earlier ones, you may want to loosen and retighten the bar risers before tackling the triple clamps.
Hi Bill. I can’t really say whether it’s the same as the earlier models, but I’ll definitely try that before diving headlong into the triple clamps. Thanks for the input!
Ben.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Bill. I can’t really say whether it’s the same as the earlier models, but I’ll definitely try that before diving headlong into the triple clamps. Thanks for the input!
Ben.
I 2nd Bill's advice, on my 2019 ATAS, without loosening anything turn full lock against the stop on the side needed, and quick push/pull on bar ends usually get movement to realign again through the bar risers which are rubber mounted. Hence they can twist on bars sometimes. I don't crank up bar riser clamps, enough though to hold position in normal use of course. Best for them to give than bending stuff.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I 2nd Bill's advice, on my 2019 ATAS, without loosening anything turn full lock against the stop on the side needed, and quick push/pull on bar ends usually get movement to realign again through the bar risers which are rubber mounted. Hence they can twist on bars sometimes. I don't crank up bar riser clamps, enough though to hold position in normal use of course. Best for them to give than bending stuff.
Thanks Rscar73. The drop wasn’t anything spectacular so I was pretty surprised that something’s moved. I’ll try the suggestions step by step and will hopefully be able to determine which parts have shifted.
Thanks for the advice!
Ben.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got around to straightening the bars out this morning!
As Bill and Rscar73 kindly suggested, it seemed the movement had only been in the bar risers. I slackened them off a little with a 17mm ratchet and a long extension and was able to move them back to something like straight (it’s difficult to say when they’re perfect, but it’s good enough for me to not be distracted by it now). I then torqued them back up to 29lb/ft as per the shop manual and gave it a run down the road. All seems well!

For those that are interested, I ordered a front left indicator from Rugged Roads to replace that which broke off during the hard landing. The £117 price has made me think a little about how hard I’m running the bike, but I’m thinking quite seriously about fitting Click’n’ride units which I can detach when straying into ‘bike dropping’ territory. At £100 for the four units, it’s a whole lot more palatable than £117 each time I lay it down. It‘ll need a bit of work to get the Click’n’ride round peg to fit in the AT square hole, but I’ll send a report once I’ve sweat over it and got them on.
If anyone has any experience or thoughts on fitting these units to the AT, I’d love to hear it!

Thanks @Bill J @Rscar73 @rustynut2 and @TheMKoi for the wisdom shared!

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
175 Posts
Glad to hear it was just the risers! That is way more "straight"forward... than sorting out the triple clamps and front axle!!!

I am excited to hear how the indicator mods "turns" out!!!

Ohhh man my puns are hilarious 🤣 🤣🤣

·
Registered
2020 ATAS Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha, sometimes we just have to laugh at our own jokes ;)😂

1 - 14 of 14 Posts