Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

2020 Africa Twin Problems???

22K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  SHUMBA 
Looking to see what kinds of problems folks are having with the new AT. I've read a little bit about the fuel tank problem although I'm not up to speed on what is happening. But, I'm wondering whether folks are experiencing any other issues that I should be aware of???

Planning to purchase either a 2020 or 2021 in the Spring.

Thanks.
* The Canadian (probably all North American) model appears to have no speed limiter on it. So nothing to stop you from going all animal on it.

* During a handful of throttle, there can be whiplash in the neck. So beware.

* If you enjoy burning premium gasoline, you may be disappointed that the AT appears to operate best with only regular grade gasoline.

It does not matter how you close it - it is still the worst thing on this bike. It hides painfully slow bootup time a bit, but at the end you have to press something and still see slo-mo bootup (lots of electronics, so I can justify it at least). Now add carplay into this bootup sequence and you get super annoying experience Every time, Every day, Every key turn and I drive Every day not just weekends... It's not a safety feature like ABS...

There, vented some innner pain :)
Remember: You knew this prior to buying the AT. Hopefully you are enjoying it for the motorcycle, and not the computer - which will be obsoleted well before the machine itself.

It's like taking a snorring wife. You knew it but still... :) sooner or later it grows to an elephant or not :)

There are no ideal electrical device, but some quirks are just... pointless and annoying. But without this warning, maybe I would be annoyed by slow bootup, carplay disconnect or week suspension or wind protection or anything else, so maybe it's a good feature :-D
Sure, sure.

Sadly one day in the future, the owner is going to ask, "What is CarPlay, and why does it keep crashing?". Also, " ... the start up screen takes sooooo long to crash."

Does boot time ever get any better? The computers get faster processors, more memory and larger hard drives. They also get operating systems which require more and more memory and storage. Then add all the programs that are added to the start up. Sometimes it still seems like forever and a day before the computer can do anything useful. Same thing for many other electronic devices.
It does actually, and more set-up is done than ever before. I think maybe the issue here might be Honda selected a processor that was lower-power and cheaper. The way the operating system is loaded might be another factor why the boot time is long (e.g. don't know for sure, but they might be decrypting the run-time code on-the-fly into memory and then running it).

The boot time of the honda screen is not bad. But due stupid regulations Honda must show all safety warnings this must be done as first screen. I have same in car it starts-up with the logo of LR then when I go in reverse it shows a waring in screen with lot of bla bla then you to wait until screen is empty then you have good view. This all made by officers who think that we are stupid. I want to have the choice to disable this kind of screens also the logo of honda I know I am siting on a honda and not on a Solex.
Sadly, and quite annoyingly, regulatory bodies have reason that in aggregate, we are acting "more stupid" and technology is ironically the blame. Some of us know how to use technology properly, while others it is some sort of lazy-easy heroin.

Sadly, that is too close to the truth and in general the public is proving it. If the calculator on some of the younger generations' cell phone says 1+1+1=6, they would believe it without question. ABS, traction control, stability control among other electronic safety systems are great and valuable supplements to proper driver training. Unfortunately some groups seem to be pushing these features as substitutes for proper driver training. I have seen some of what it takes to obtain a driver's license in the U.K., Germany, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. Unfortunately, many drivers in Ontario, Canada would fail driving test miserably in those jurisdictions. As a driver it is scary to think what the other driver may be like, as a motorcyclists, even more so.
My car doesn't have a backup camera. It was a year before the feature basically went "commodity".

So when someone learned that, they were quite surprised, overwhelmed almost, " ... I wouldn't drive that car ... ". :rolleyes:

(grumble)

Anyway, good shoulder check upbringing in cage or motorcycle happens whether there is a camera in the cage I am driving or not. One person asked, "What are you doing?" I responded, "I am checking my blind spots before I back out". Like, really?

Yeah, I put boundaries around the amount of electronics/electrics I want on my rides. It is a personal thing for riders, and that is one of my limits. That said, I will probably never own a late model Gold Wing, as nice as those beasts are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.