Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

2020 Africa Twin Problems???

22K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  SHUMBA 
2020 ATAS ES DCT. Bought in June and will reach 8,000 miles this weekend.
(Edit 9Nov20: now over 11,000 miles)

(Edit 10Jan23: now over 70,000 miles. Stator cover leak, tank recall, ECU reflash recall...still rocking hard.)

(EDIT: This reads like a review, but I'm trying to highlight "problems areas" that I've seen comments about on the site.)

Tank is so far so good. (EDIT: recall done) I stick to non-ethanol. Don't know if there is a correlation there or not. Mileage is better, regardless, compared to ethanol. Range is 250-350 depending on my throttle work. Like the DTE feature. Have not validated that to dead empty yet.

Dirt FWIW: Compared to my VFR12X it is very off-road capable. Compared to my BMW R1150GS & R1200GS it is more off-road capable. Compared to my F800GS it is more off-road capable but by a smaller margin. Compared to my skill it is more off-road capable. It's big and heavy (relative to actual dirt bikes) and doesn't care where I ride. Caveat- not a single tracker so reason to go there. Have had it turtle in sand though....o_O Even that was fun. Love the 270 crank signature.

DCT. LOVE IT. If you don't, go with God. As for me an mine, we ride DCT. My advice is truly learn it before your knock it. But if you still have to have a clutch, you're in luck, you can.

Electronic Suspension. Works great. It's the first stock suspension in 20 years that I don't immediately think about "upgrading". I'm 6'2" and 225lbs. It performs better than all OEMs I've owned and as good as the Ohlins/Touratechs/Adriannis that I've pitched on other machines. MTBF no idea. It will cost me on the back end at some point I expect.

Value. meh...the bike makes me smile, therefore worth it.

Problems. I'm trying to decide if I have a constant low power setting on the heated grips but not enough to bother with a temp gun or dealer visit.

Likes to chug. Likes to blitz. Slower than the v4 (thankfully). Fast enough for travel and traffic. Quick to 105MPH but ponderous to go higher at 1MPH increments. Have not redlined it so do not know the top end. This is all with OEM bags on.

Bags. OEM (Givi Trekkers). Like them. Have used Jesse, TT, Mermite Cans, Shad, Hepco Becker so have seen a few. These work. (Edit: have adapted Mosko soft bags to OEM rack and use them for dirt work.)

Electronics. Big learning curve for how to dial it in to muscle memory. I'm still working on it. Overall, I like the capability to adjust performance using all the various settings. It becomes more intuitive to ride every time I go out.

I can hum this tune all day but hope this gives you enough perspective from my point of view to be of use.

Happy hunting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.