Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

2020 Africa Twin Problems???

22K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  SHUMBA 
2020 ATas manual, done about 5k km since late august.
1. Glad I didn't get es version as suspension springs are too soft and making it softer would bottom me on every jump. Still playing with suspension setup, but for now its -20% from max preload front and back (left those 20% for rear to accomodate extra weight with luggague on, so with max rear preload, front would not lift too much). My weight with gear ir around 105-110kg.
2. Wind shield gives a mixed feeling, but made some extra panels to block side winds (screen is wider on sides). Also made custom fork deflector (helps huge amount for buffeting). But overall - easy, cheap fixes to get excelent high speed comfort.
3. Throttle handle is a bit loose, really jerky throttle reactions in max power mode, every road bump changes input. Not a biggy, but takes time to get used to it.
4. Electronics. This is maybe most iritating moment. Startup notification sucks big time. Drop the bike, restart it and you have to wait. Carplay is mostly ok, but also annoying if bluetooth is not found. Sometimes it also stops spotify to play sound to headset, but if it works, it's fine. For riding modes I use only User1 with max power and least traction for the road and User2 for offroad settings. Other mode are not important.
5. Electrics. Access to toolbox and battery had stuck or proprietry bolt, had to replace them for easier access. There should be power lines to the back and front for easier access to battery power.
Every freeking light is on when egnition is on. So if you want to charge external device, you need to switch the bike on and you end up with a christmas tree just to get the power to ports. Workaround is fuse removal, but come on... They need to give us option to turn off lights if you don't need them. Riding normaly - auto switching and cornering lights are all good.
6. Unstable idle rpm's (range is 200-300rpm). Need time to get used to it, since it is easy to stall a bike if you start to ride and rpm's drops to lower range.

I hope that wasn't too boring to read :)

Since you will talk to technicians, can you Please ask for a solution for that startup safety warning - there must be a way to disable it.
ps. In 2 months and 5k km I had no issues with electronics, so maybe its not a global problem.

It does not matter how you close it - it is still the worst thing on this bike. It hides painfully slow bootup time a bit, but at the end you have to press something and still see slo-mo bootup (lots of electronics, so I can justify it at least). Now add carplay into this bootup sequence and you get super annoying experience Every time, Every day, Every key turn and I drive Every day not just weekends... It's not a safety feature like ABS...

There, vented some innner pain :)

It's like taking a snorring wife. You knew it but still... :) sooner or later it grows to an elephant or not :)

There are no ideal electrical device, but some quirks are just... pointless and annoying. But without this warning, maybe I would be annoyed by slow bootup, carplay disconnect or week suspension or wind protection or anything else, so maybe it's a good feature :-D

Probably did my last ride this year and safety warning screen does NOT come off by itself. Drove a few kilometers, but all I could see on the big screen was that stupid warning.
This is the thing we have to learn to live with. Or... Maybe winter time is for some diy time of some sort of relay to simulate ok button press :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.