Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

2020 Africa Twin Problems???

22K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  SHUMBA 
I have owned a 2017 AT DCT , 2020 AT ES DCT And now a 2020 Standard AT DCT. the standard is by far the best version in my opinion. way less top heavy not as wide.. just a better overall feel. Plus no full tank issue...!!! go ride both versions a make your decision, also the DCT works great. and you still have the option to use the manual mode with paddle shifters if you prefer....great motor and suspension with lots of settings...
Is the standard 2020 AT the same bike as my 2018/19 standard AT? If so then I agree with you. Although they have taken the taller wider and heavier Sport model from 2018 and made it more useable for average sized riders, IMHO they have done this by making compromises that make the bike worse (for my type of use which is 100% on road). The main thing they did was lower the seat by removing some foam and narrowing it. At first I thought this would be a big problem for long rides but it wasn't - I took the demo ATAS ES out for 5 hours. However, they still retained the longer suspension from the earlier ATAS model, and this was worse (stiffer) than my current bike. And of course there's the wider bigger tank which together with the taller suspension makes the bike more top heavy.
And finally, although the screen on the new bikes is better it's still crap, and what's worse is that MAdstad say they have no plans to make a system to fit the new bike.
But back to the original question - is the latest 2020 standard AT (as opposed to the ATAS), based on the original frame, suspension, and bodywork/screen as per my bike, because if so that's the one I would go for.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.