Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone in the US that owns a 2020 AT, have you installed the OEM fog lights on your bike? If yes, then are you able to use the FN switch to the turn the lights on/off?

Based on a recent FB post by a fellow AT owner, it's been brought to my understanding that this option is not available on any of the North American bikes due to transport and safety regulations. If this is indeed the case, I'm going to be seriously pissed!

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
To anyone in the US that owns a 2020 AT, have you installed the OEM fog lights on your bike? If yes, then are you able to use the FN switch to the turn the lights on/off?

Based on a recent FB post by a fellow AT owner, it's been brought to my understanding that this option is not available on any of the North American bikes due to transport and safety regulations. If this is indeed the case, I'm going to be seriously pissed!
Can’t see it being any legal reason, other bikes here in NAmer. are sold with auxiliary/fog lights.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can’t see it being any legal reason, other bikes here in NAmer. are sold with auxiliary/fog lights.
The FN switch on the 2020 AT allows you to integrate and operate the lights using the factory switch. From my understanding, this integration has been disabled on the NA bikes.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
The FN switch on the 2020 AT allows you to integrate and operate the lights using the factory switch. From my understanding, this integration has been disabled on the NA bikes. View attachment 54934
I don't have a 2020, but i thought i recalled that if the ECU didn't find the accessory "in line" that it wouldn't even bring it up as a option. Basicly, not plugged in then it doesn't even show up. I could be very wrong on this too.

·
Super Moderator
1,063 Posts
I thought there was some song and dance you had to go through shorting out a couple of pins on the SCS connector as well. But I can't seem to find it now.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I thought there was some song and dance you had to go through shorting out a couple of pins on the SCS connector as well. But I can't seem to find it now.

I think He already did the short in the Diagnostic connector, since that menu does not appear in normal operation.
Also here, speaking only from what I had read here and elsewhere.Not a Master in AT.....yet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just looked at the service manual and it looks like there is no power flowing to the 2P connectors. I will need a wiring diagram for the CRF1100 from someone NOT in the US to see how the Bu/Bl wire is routed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does indeed look like there might a wire missing from the 12P connector to the fuseblock that supplies power to the 2P fog connectors of the NA models.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What does BCU mean? It looks like in order for the fogs to get power in the NA models, a wire needs to connected between a 12P connector and the 9 | FOG_OUT 39P connector.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's the Body Control Unit. So effectively, Honda has disabled the fog lights on all NA models by not providing a 12V output from the BCU to the fog light connectors. Next step is to try to source the terminals for the BCU 39P connector and get some redneck engineering going!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
It's the Body Control Unit. So effectively, Honda has disabled the fog lights on all NA models by not providing a 12V output from the BCU to the fog light connectors. Next step is to try to source the terminals for the BCU 39P connector and get some redneck engineering going!
"Body Control" - wide-eyed not think of dat?

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Yea, all I know is.... That I recall someone doing it somewhere, cause I was kinda surprised that the fogs where on the touch screen and not a dedicated switch...

·
Super Moderator
1,063 Posts
Yea, all I know is.... That I recall someone doing it somewhere, cause I was kinda surprised that the fogs where on the touch screen and not a dedicated switch...
I can't imagine why you would even want them in the touch screen honestly. My KTM 1190 had the heated grips and heated seat controls in the touch screen and I found that to be a PITA, but you didn't need to adjust them too often so I dealt with it.

I would personally prefer a dedicated manual switch or have them tied to the low/high beam switch as the Denali do.

What am I missing with this? I mean what are the advantages?

·
Super Moderator
1,063 Posts
Somebody in Marketing who doesn't ride, especially off-road, probably sold the idea to executive staff.
I am genuinely curious. I just seems like it would be adding a layer of complexity. I just wondered if I have a misunderstanding about what adding the function to the FN switch does and I am missing something.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts