Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
I am genuinely curious. I just seems like it would be adding a layer of complexity. I just wondered if I have a misunderstanding about what adding the function to the FN switch does and I am missing something.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Yea i thought the same thing to... Seems like a lot of crap to go through to turn on some fog lights. even with the grips, i like the button right there on the grip, quick, simple, easy. But,
if they made the screen customizable and more flexable (like having multi/split screens) then i wouldn't mind. Basically put the things on the screen that you want or need. Like the speedo, music app, switches, Etc.Better still like widgets..With the ability to set up two personal screens one on-road & one off-road. That would be a game changer for Honda. It would be sweet to have, say; the map up and the tach, gears, TC, EB, up all on one screen when off-road.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Yea i thought the same thing to... Seems like a lot of crap to go through to turn on some fog lights. even with the grips, i like the button right there on the grip, quick, simple, easy. But,
if they made the screen customizable and more flexable (like having multi/split screens) then i wouldn't mind. Basically put the things on the screen that you want or need. Like the speedo, music app, switches, Etc.Better still like widgets..With the ability to set up two personal screens one on-road & one off-road. That would be a game changer for Honda. It would be sweet to have, say; the map up and the tach, gears, TC, EB, up all on one screen when off-road.
There might be regional regulations of what must be available "off screen", like speedometer, odometer, turn signal dash indicator and a few more. If the instrument cluster main processor unit fails, or somebody stabs your dash with a dagger while parked on the street, you likely won't get that feedback. Hence, why Honda had to breakout a few of those metrics into the secondary LCD cluster.

I'd prefer Honda would just eliminate the primary LCD dash and have a (wireless) docking station for a smart device. Just load the Honda app into your phone and synchronize with the AT and you are good to go. When you leave your bike, you typically need your phone, so you just grab it and go.

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
It seems more of a "proof of concept" than a finished idea maybe?

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
There might be regional regulations of what must be available "off screen", like speedometer, odometer, turn signal dash indicator and a few more. If the instrument cluster main processor unit fails, or somebody stabs your dash with a dagger while parked on the street, you likely won't get that feedback. Hence, why Honda had to breakout a few of those metrics into the secondary LCD cluster.

I'd prefer Honda would just eliminate the primary LCD dash and have a (wireless) docking station for a smart device. Just load the Honda app into your phone and synchronize with the AT and you are good to go. When you leave your bike, you typically need your phone, so you just grab it and go.
current customizable dashes have it so you can’t get rid of some things (like the speedo) but can move them around and add the stuff you want/need.

It seems more of a "proof of concept" than a finished idea maybe?
yes, you never know what the future will bring... Honda is DEFINITELY listening to their customers, so just wishful thinking on my part.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
current customizable dashes have it so you can’t get rid of some things (like the speedo) but can move them around and add the stuff you want/need.
Sound like all the more reason to have the monitored and configuration stuff appear on a Honda app docked on the instrumentation panel.

In terms of customization, maybe some days the rider wants their riding metrics to appear in a "heavy metal mega-death" theme. Other days, the riding vibe is more the "neon love" theme.

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts

KTM My Ride, BMW R1250GS dash, and a few others seem to do a good job of breaking out the info without having to use that odd secondary display. I am not really sure what the need for it was. They are all sold in pretty much the same markets? ¯\(⊙ʖ⊙)_/¯

Probably the issue with the phone is non-standard charging/docking. Apple has their proprietary way and won't use USB-C. Wireless charging can be a little different between them. You would have to use it sans case in all likelihood to accommodate fit and charging. Would wireless charging have issues in inclement weather? What do you do to accommodate various phone dimensions? They vary within the same brand, let alone among various brands. Then there is the position of cameras, fingerprint sensors and such on the backs, etc. There is also the issue of making sure the phone doesn't go to a lock screen or something while riding. I know a lot of Luddites in our club that can barely send a text, let alone try to dock their phones and set up lock screen times and so on :)

Alternatively, maybe something like a cheap android based display that could be updated with new features and firmware would work better than all these proprietary ones where you are pretty much stuck with what you bought?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
KTM My Ride, BMW R1250GS dash, and a few others seem to do a good job of breaking out the info without having to use that odd secondary display. I am not really sure what the need for it was. They are all sold in pretty much the same markets? ¯\(⊙ʖ⊙)_/¯

Probably the issue with the phone is non-standard charging/docking. Apple has their proprietary way and won't use USB-C. Wireless charging can be a little different between them. You would have to use it sans case in all likelihood to accommodate fit and charging. Would wireless charging have issues in inclement weather? What do you do to accommodate various phone dimensions? They vary within the same brand, let alone among various brands. Then there is the position of cameras, fingerprint sensors and such on the backs, etc. There is also the issue of making sure the phone doesn't go to a lock screen or something while riding. I know a lot of Luddites in our club that can barely send a text, let alone try to dock their phones and set up lock screen times and so on :)

Alternatively, maybe something like a cheap android based display that could be updated with new features and firmware would work better than all these proprietary ones where you are pretty much stuck with what you bought?
These are valid points for sure.

The "Honda app" would have to manage many of those "soft issues" when it is enabled on the phone.

In regards to connectivity, maybe some issues, but I am not convinced. Wireless charging "should be" nearly universal and is not affected by inclement weather. Of course, the docking bay would have to be IP68-compliant and big enough for the average smart device, at least. For wired charging, a standard USB-A connector to the native phone connector should suffice. Cameras and fingerprint interaction should be suspended while the "Honda app" is running. The "Honda app" would be a "special app". Non-critical bike communication would be over bluetooth and, if used, direct wire connection. There should be no bike-critical operations required between the smart device and the bike. Just monitoring and setting parameters. Maybe there would be a developer "stealth debug" mode in the app, but that would not be available to owners.

I think these issues are easy to solve and probably cheaper to maintain in production for Honda. Updating a registered copy of the app should be easy for Honda to deploy and update.

The primary objective is to completely isolate the hardware signalling interface from the graphical human interface for non-critical monitoring and setting of parameters.

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
These are valid points for sure.

The "Honda app" would have to manage many of those "soft issues" when it is enabled on the phone.

In regards to connectivity, maybe some issues, but I am not convinced. Wireless charging "should be" nearly universal and is not affected by inclement weather. Of course, the docking bay would have to be IP68-compliant and big enough for the average smart device, at least. For wired charging, a standard USB-A connector to the native phone connector should suffice. Cameras and fingerprint interaction should be suspended while the "Honda app" is running. The "Honda app" would be a "special app". Non-critical bike communication would be over bluetooth and, if used, direct wire connection. There should be no bike-critical operations required between the smart device and the bike. Just monitoring and setting parameters. Maybe there would be a developer "stealth debug" mode in the app, but that would not be available to owners.

I think these issues are easy to solve and probably cheaper to maintain in production for Honda. Updating a registered copy of the app should be easy for Honda to deploy and update.

The primary objective is to completely isolate the hardware signalling interface from the graphical human interface for non-critical monitoring and setting of parameters.
I'd say the dedicated screen is the best bet, with a Honda app that will sync and go to your default setup. Pulse the abilities to do the mods you want without a phone too and set them the way you like. So a Stock "preset" and at least a couple of user customizable preset's. Like I said fine; have the required gauges unremovable, but at least moveable and to a degree scalable. A definite NO on the background, other then a reversible black/white. People would have just to much crap and then it would be hard to see/notice the gauges.

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
The problems with a "special" Honda app is it would likely never fly with Apple. Apple has their "walled garden" and they just don't play that way with special apps. If there was ever such a thing it would likely be Android only. Apple just doesn't give that kind of control to apps through IOS.

A lot of differences in how the phones unlock through their biometrics as well. Andoid could probably utilize the smart lock feature to keep the phone unlocked when docked. But the feature reduces security and again isn't a feature of Apple IOS.

IP68 I think would be difficult to incorporate when you have phone demensions that are all over the board. It would be near impossible to seal properly I would think without selling adapters for various phone models?

Suspending camera and fingerprints could become an issue if the phone does happen to lock, since you would need them to unlock, but how they protrude from the back is more what I was referring to with fit and placement in a dock.

I am not sure I see anyone doing the engineering for a phone dock that would accommodate an iPhone SE or a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ while maintaining an IP68 rating.

That and I think the different phone OS's, some running Apple IOS, Android OS, Blackberry (yes some people actually still use them) as well as various versions of the OS's and OS tweaks/customizations such as Samsung's One UI and various themes etc. would end up being a IT nightmare for Honda.

Perhaps a display that uses something like MirrorLink would be a better option? At least there is support for that to mirror any MirrorLink enabled smart phone to any MirrorLink enabled vehicle.

Dunno. But I think we would see that kind of plugin cradle for a phone in a car before we ever saw it on a bike and I not sure of anyone doing it for cars?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
All good words by the Forum.

I just wish we had the option to "take our dashboard" when we leave the bike alone. Just one less thing to "crowbar to death" because somebody doesn't like the bike or can't have it.

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
All good words by the Forum.

I just wish we had the option to "take our dashboard" when we leave the bike alone. Just one less thing to "crowbar to death" because somebody doesn't like the bike or can't have it.
Hopefully that isn't a common occurrence. My wife and I have yet to have any of our bikes damaged, short of one that a hotel patron backed into with his pickup. Luckily he notified the front desk right away to have me come down and meet him. He explained what happened, took responsibility and I got it repaired.

Have we just been lucky? Have others had issue with malicious damage to their bikes?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Caterpillar has branded rugged phones. Why couldn't Honda do it and have them plug in and be the bike display? That would be pretty cool and make it easy to add hardware and software improvements. Plus, who wouldn't want to carry around a Honda phone?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've just emailed Denali asking if they have anything in development for can-bus controlled aux lights on the AT. The set up they have for the GS is trick, you can programme the lights to strobe, come on with main beam and/or horn, and a bunch of other stuff, all at different light intensities. They do seem to be wizards at interfacing their electronics with the OEM controls so hopefully they can do something for us! Fingers crossed everyone!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Caterpillar has branded rugged phones. Why couldn't Honda do it and have them plug in and be the bike display? That would be pretty cool and make it easy to add hardware and software improvements. Plus, who wouldn't want to carry around a Honda phone?
Slightly off topic....just noticed your profile pic... have you done what I think you've done.... :oops:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not directly related to the question, but to give some insight; I have installed original Honda fog lights on my 2020 ATAS. The lights are controlled from the menu using the FN button which appeared after installation of the fog lights.There is no new button added to the setup. This is in European zone though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not directly related to the question, but to give some insight; I have installed original Honda fog lights on my 2020 ATAS. The lights are controlled from the menu using the FN button which appeared after installation of the fog lights.There is no new button added to the setup. This is in European zone though.
Do you have the instructions on where they plug into the wiring harness?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you have the instructions on where they plug into the wiring harness?
The fog light plug is behind the left and right fairings. 2 wire plug green wire and a blue with a black tracer. Be advised though, if you have a NA model bike, they are not powered. The plugs run to a 12 pin connector then from there, to the BCM. The wire from the 12p to the 39p BCM connector is not there.

Additionally, I've already tried installing a pin into cavity #9 which is the dedicated slot for the fog light out power signal. Then attempted to "turn on" the fog light option. It is still not an option and must be a FLASHABLE software feature. I was already suspicious since the Quick Shifter was an optional selection although I don't have that yet. I'm in talks with a dealer in the UK about if the BCM #s are the same. I believe they are since the unit has all 39 pins in it. If it is then one might be able to ship it to them and have them flash the optional software.

The only problem I foresee would be ignition key immobilizer problems. But as long as the BCM isn't changed I might not need to program keys.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts