Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think the BCU is a input and output module which communicate over the can bus. The outputs are relays and are switching 12VDC to the lights. The inputs are low voltage I think 5v and Honda is using the inputs as multplexers so 4 signals on one input.
I think that the BCU is a standard part( check partno.) for US and EU and rest of world. So what Honda did is not connect pin 9 to wire 57 blue/black. If you hold a meter between pin 9 and ground you should measure 12vdc. Of course this only works if you can enable fog light in the touchscreen. May there are also 2 different firmwares mine bike show 2.6.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hmmm, so in addition to connecting the wire between the 12P and the 39P connector, the BCU has to be flashed in order to enable the fog_out option??

·
Registered
7 Posts
  • Hmmm, so in addition to connecting the wire between the 12P and the 39P connector, the BCU has to be flashed in order to enable the fog_out option??
  • Yes, either that or Honda's factory tool has some short coding to basically select the option and turn it on via the BCM. Instead of a full re flash with the EU software, you just change a bi-directional control like Vw/Audi.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

• Yes, either that or Honda's factory tool has some short coding to basically select the option and turn it on via the BCM. Instead of a full re flash with the EU software, you just change a bi-directional control like Vw/Audi.
It was my understanding that as long as there is power flowing to the 2P fog connectors via the BCM pin 9, you should be able to activate the fog lights in the service menu using the Honda service tool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's not exactly how it works. The BCM already has its designated power and then sends the power out on pin 9 when you turn on the fog lights via the function switch. The circuit is not ground controlled but rather B+ controlled. The fog light plug has ground all the time and receives the switched power signal from the BCM. Like I stated before, the options that can be "turned on" via the service menu are set from the factory. My Manual Trans bike has the quickshifter option that I could turn on but I don't have that installed. So if the fog lights could be "turned on" they wouldn't need to be installed for that option to be there.

Also, now that I'm thinking about it, the short coding way is probably what you are doing when you jump that connector over and access it via the MID. So it has to be software related in order to get it to work. I find it hard to believe that Honda is manufacturing multiple BCMs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
In that case, I am wondering if we can use the wiring for the heated grips to trigger a relay that in turn will turn on the fog lights.....just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
7 Posts
From looking at the wiring diagram I would say no. The heated grips are pulse width modulated 12v+. Based on the heat level it's pulsed faster. The power runs from the BCM to the right grip then out of that to the left grip. If you hooked a relay to the power source the relay would end up turning on and off rapidly and you would have strobes instead of fog lights lol.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think there are different BCU see here for the rest of the world:
For the USA

look also to the price in usa 50% lower then here in EU

I think a fog lights with a additional switch will be cheaper.
If you think about this kind of things are we as bikers crazy or are the goverments/manufacturers crazy? It is 2020 and there are still people thinking that consumers are not looking how this are in other parts of the world. Same for the sparepart pricing the big difference between US and EU. Honda can better put the parts on ALI then everbody has the same price😁

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi guys. I emailed Denali asking if they had any plans to produce a CAN-Bus kit for the AT, to give the same control and functions as the GS and other bikes. Their response was that they have something in work that should be available late this year, early next. I wish something was available sooner, but we'll have to wait. 😩

Personally, as tempting as it is to mess with the BCM, I wouldn't risk the possibly of affecting warranty just for the sake of being able to switch the aux lights on and off with the bar selector (esp as most guys I know ride with them on all the time!). I would go for a complete kit including wiring and separate switch and keep it away from the Honda wiring. I believe there are kits on eBay which are decent and are cheap as chips...

41 - 50 of 50 Posts