Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put this Honda quickshifter on with an SW-Motech shift lever. Didn't even know it existed until an eBay search for something else. Has to make a Service Check Short thingy out of a small spring. Thanks to whomever posted the pics of that. Works Great! Need a shorter throw so might try and find a shift shaft knuckle that is a bit shorter from a CBR. Other than that, blip shifty goodness!

Attachments

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The stock internal thread rose joints are replaced with external thread rose joints (heim) so the internal joint supplied by SW-Motech wasn't applicable. Fortunately I had an external version from some old roadrace bike that I was able to utilize. The instructions and zip-ties with the kit were obviously for the 1000 version, so I had to freestyle the mounting and initilization. It only took me 2 tries of failed initialization before I realized that I had to go to the service menu to turn the thing on before trying to initialize it.

I set it to the "hard" setting after a hundred miles on soft on both up and down shifts, feels better to me but I might go for the goldilocks middle. The downshifts work better than the upshifts at normal speeds, both work fantastic fast. I will qualify this by saying that I am a 20-year roadracer that has spent the better part of the past decade riding Ducati's and dirtbikes.

It is still difficult to not try and blip downshifts and let the system do its thing.
Cheers,
QW

· Registered
2022 Africa Twin Manual. R380B.
551 Posts
Very Nice!!!!!!!
You answered a question I have before. If the older 19 Quick shifter will work in a 20.
Since there are different P/N.
But it seems the connectors and Initialization works and you can use it.
Great!!!. Enjoy.

Edited: And welcome on board as Well!!!!!!!

· Registered
11 Posts
The stock internal thread rose joints are replaced with external thread rose joints (heim) so the internal joint supplied by SW-Motech wasn't applicable. Fortunately I had an external version from some old roadrace bike that I was able to utilize. The instructions and zip-ties with the kit were obviously for the 1000 version, so I had to freestyle the mounting and initilization. It only took me 2 tries of failed initialization before I realized that I had to go to the service menu to turn the thing on before trying to initialize it.

I set it to the "hard" setting after a hundred miles on soft on both up and down shifts, feels better to me but I might go for the goldilocks middle. The downshifts work better than the upshifts at normal speeds, both work fantastic fast. I will qualify this by saying that I am a 20-year roadracer that has spent the better part of the past decade riding Ducati's and dirtbikes.

It is still difficult to not try and blip downshifts and let the system do its thing.
Cheers,
QW
Once I got used to my RSV4 I never wanted to go back to clutched downshifts. Can't wait to get mine in for my AT.

Cheers 🍻

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once I got used to my RSV4 I never wanted to go back to clutched downshifts. Can't wait to get mine in for my AT.

Cheers 🍻
Similarly, I have been using quick shifters on roadracers since 2000, and back-to-back testing all the new thousands a few years ago then riding around COTA for a day on all the Aprilia 1100's certainly solidified my love for the auto-blip. I would rather have that than traction control. Thinking about converting the throttle bodies on my 848 to ride-by-wire gives me a headache...

· Registered
2020 Honda Africa Twin Standard
174 Posts

Cheers,
QW
Hi

Cheers,
QW
Hi QFW181, I had a question on the initializing. I just installed my quick shifter on my 2020 and keep getting the failed initializing, 3 times and now I can’t even select the quick shifter anymore, it is gone from the initializing screen in the service menu. I thought maybe it was installed but after a short ride it doesn’t seem to work 😩. Do you or anyone have any advice?

· Registered
726 Posts
Double check the 4-pin connector, disconnect and reconnect. After you turn the ignition key to "ON" make sure to flip the start/stop red button to on. This implies it should be in the off position and don't remember if it mattered.

What are you using for the SCS short connector?

Disconnect battery and start again.

· Registered
726 Posts
Installed this Zeta folding, adjustable shift lever on my 18 ATAS with quickshifter which should work on the newer bikes too.

The Zeta came with heim joint but no threaded stud or nut so made a stud out of a bold and added a nut so didn't have to disassemble the Honda quickshifter lever. Works great and nice having the extra eccentri adjustment in the shifter tip. I did end up covering the knurled tip with heat shrink tubing as it's pretty aggressive on the boots.

· Registered
174 Posts
Double check the 4-pin connector, disconnect and reconnect. After you turn the ignition key to "ON" make sure to flip the start/stop red button to on. This implies it should be in the off position and don't remember if it mattered.

What are you using for the SCS short connector?

Disconnect battery and start again.
Ok I’ll try to the 4 pin connector again. As for the SCS I just jumped the wires as the dealer sold me the wrong SCS connector as we know the instructions are for the 1000’s. Just strange that the quick shifter initializing is gone from the service menu now.

· Registered
726 Posts
Ok I’ll try to the 4 pin connector again. As for the SCS I just jumped the wires as the dealer sold me the wrong SCS connector as we know the instructions are for the 1000’s. Just strange that the quick shifter initializing is gone from the service menu now.
Yeah and I'm going off the 1000 instructions as that is what I have, no experience with 1100. Hopefully the battery and connector reconnect works.

· Registered
174 Posts
Yeah and I'm going off the 1000 instructions as that is what I have, no experience with 1100. Hopefully the battery and connector reconnect works.
Well got the quick shifter initializing screen back but still fails on the initializing. The bike should be powered on but not started right? I jumping the wires like showed so stumped on what is wrong.

· Registered
726 Posts
Key on and red on / off swich in the on position. After initializing you start the bike and then shift the transmission into neutral.

Do you get the quickshifter on / off option before the initialize screen?

Any issue with quickshifter pedal / rod alignment or pressure on the shift solenoid like from the wiring not being slack enough? Wiggle the wires coming out of the quickshifter while trying to see if it's intermittent.

Battery voltage good?

Do you have the install instructions? If not, I can post them.

· Registered
174 Posts
Key on and red on / off swich in the on position. After initializing you start the bike and then shift the transmission into neutral.

Do you get the quickshifter on / off option before the initialize screen?

Any issue with quickshifter pedal / rod alignment or pressure on the shift solenoid like from the wiring not being slack enough? Wiggle the wires coming out of the quickshifter while trying to see if it's intermittent.

Battery voltage good?

Do you have the install instructions? If not, I can post them.
The quick shifter comes with the old instructions for the 1000 not the 1100 so winging it but it seems straight forward. Disconnect the battery, jump the SCS connector, yellow and blue wires. 4 pin connector snaps in properly and wires run properly. Install of the shifter was easy and straight forward. Connect the battery, turn key to on position with start switch in the on position but engine not running. Select the service menu, intitialize quick shifter, ask yes or no, select yes. Then says preparing initialization, wait for 30 seconds or so then says initialization failed. I am not starting the bike, maybe that’s the issue? I have triple check everything and can’t figure out what is wrong. I hate to have to go to the dealer as they will need the bike for a few weeks I’m sure. I have searched for the proper instructions but nothing. The service manual doesn’t cover any of this, in fact doesn’t even list the quick shifter. I’m stumped.

· Registered
174 Posts
The quick shifter comes with the old instructions for the 1000 not the 1100 so winging it but it seems straight forward. Disconnect the battery, jump the SCS connector, yellow and blue wires. 4 pin connector snaps in properly and wires run properly. Install of the shifter was easy and straight forward. Connect the battery, turn key to on position with start switch in the on position but engine not running. Select the service menu, intitialize quick shifter, ask yes or no, select yes. Then says preparing initialization, wait for 30 seconds or so then says initialization failed. I am not starting the bike, maybe that’s the issue? I have triple check everything and can’t figure out what is wrong. I hate to have to go to the dealer as they will need the bike for a few weeks I’m sure. I have searched for the proper instructions but nothing. The service manual doesn’t cover any of this, in fact doesn’t even list the quick shifter. I’m stumped.
And yes in the equipment menu I select quick shifter on but still doesn’t work.

· Registered
726 Posts
After you select initialize yes, start the bike, shift into neutral and don't touch shifter or throttle, wait for the display to show "neutral position" and then hopefully the OK message for initialized. Turn ignition off and remove SCS connector.

· Registered
174 Posts
After you select initialize yes, start the bike, shift into neutral and don't touch shifter or throttle, wait for the display to show "neutral position" and then hopefully the OK message for initialized. Turn ignition off and remove SCS connector.
Okay thanks I’ll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for your help much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts