Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

· Registered
2020 Honda Africa Twin Standard
174 Posts
Okay thanks I’ll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for your help much appreciated.
Well good news, bad news. I finally got the initializing to work and was successful, had to start the engine exactly as NOmadADV said but the quick shifting function still doesn’t work. I tried three time all successfully and made sure the quick shifter is turned on but when I ride it no quick shifting and yes I know what it should feel like and do, definitely doesn’t work. Must be another step I am missing.

· Registered
726 Posts
Congrats on keeping at it and getting the initialization to work at least, these things can be frustrating (y)

Just to verify that in the quickshifter settings, both the up and down are enabled and then initialized?

After you select "EQUIPMENT" then "QUICKSHIFTER" ON, you have to return to "SETTINGS" then select "FUNCTION" then select "QUICKSHIFTER" in that menu and enable "UP" and "DOWN" to turn on quickshifter functions and set levels for both and then return to "SETTINGS" and "INITIALIZE QUICKSHIFTER" to start that process again.

This is sort of opposite of how the CRF1000 does it with enabling and adjusting up / down in settings after initializing.

Not sure what you have instruction wise so attached the QS installs for CRF1000, CRF1100 and the CRF1000 Accessory Guide for details on how the QS settings are done on the 1000.

Is your SCS jumper secure and not intermittent when starting the bike and such?

Attachments

· Registered
2020 Honda Africa Twin Standard
174 Posts
Congrats on keeping at it and getting the initialization to work at least, these things can be frustrating (y)

Just to verify that in the quickshifter settings, both the up and down are enabled and then initialized?

After you select "EQUIPMENT" then "QUICKSHIFTER" ON, you have to return to "SETTINGS" then select "FUNCTION" then select "QUICKSHIFTER" in that menu and enable "UP" and "DOWN" to turn on quickshifter functions and set levels for both and then return to "SETTINGS" and "INITIALIZE QUICKSHIFTER" to start that process again.

This is sort of opposite of how the CRF1000 does it with eanbling and adjusting up / down in settings after initializing.

Not sure what you have instruction wise so attached the QS installs for CRF1000, CRF1100 and the CRF1000 Accessory Guide for details on how the QS settings are done on the 1000.

Is your SCS jumper secure and not intermittent when starting the bike and such?
NOmadADV you are a lifesaver!!👍 these instructions are a tremendous help thanks so much! I’m sure this is the issue I will review this and give it another go. Thanks again buddy!

· Registered
682 Posts
Are there instances where the auto blips are absent?
Or does the QS blip the rpm every downshift?

· Registered
726 Posts
Auto blip works on every gear on downshift even 1st. Upshifts above 1600 rpm, with throttle open, won't function with throttle closed of clutch lever being operated. It works pretty well in most instances, can be smoother at times using the clutch and depending on how engine braking is set up. I don't use either on every shift.

HOW TO USE THE QUICK SHIFTER
••This accessory enable the shift change
without clutch operation when shifting up and
down during acceleration. (Engine speed is
more than 1,600 rpm on upshifting or more
than the idle speed on downshifting).
••This system does not function when
upshifting with the throttle closed.
••This system does not function when the
clutch lever is being operated.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I am so
Got it! It works now that I had the directions thank you NOmadADV! I was missing the function steps
I am sorry that I am just seeing this now!!! Yes I had the same issue as the directions I got were from the old model. Honda just sends dealers a new label as it is the exact same product and then you have to go online to find the newer directions. Glad you got it sorted. I l love it. And it doesn't seem to give a **** about tire sizes which is great.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, hope you’re ready for a tricky one …

Background: 2018 ATAS, I installed the quick shifter but was jumping the wrong two wires when I first tried to initialize QS to ON. Couldn’t get anything but the 12 hour clock set.

I located the correct SCS and It is installed, ignition = on, start switch = run … I hold down Mode + Select/ DWN … and still the 12 hour clock select comes up. Not the QF = ON.

I’ve tried setting everything back to nominal … disconnect battery, quick shifter unplugged, scs jumper removed … and doing it all over, and still 12 hour clock … but now the bike won’t start.

it cranks nice and strong, but no fuel smell in the pipe, and no spark holding a plug to the crankcase.

I am stumped. The battery is currently disconnected, qs plug disconnected, scs removed.

any thoughts are definitely appreciated.

· Premium Member
2021 ATAS DCT ES
300 Posts
Sounds like you shorted something out when you went to the wrong plug, can you say what plug was used? And what pins you shorted?
I would also start with the basics checking all the fuses. Do you head the fuel pump kick in when turning on the bike?

· Registered
746 Posts
Will check the fuses first of all , than read with the honda tool and reset the ECU (if is not damaged)

Reactions: DoubleThumper

· Registered
6 Posts
Thanks to all. @DoubleThumper - roger that, will do

This morning i checked all fuses and found the small 15 amp next to the main fuse was blown (two small fuses on the back side of the battery box, the rest of the fuses were good). Changed it out, bike starts. Awesome, thank you!

1 disconnected the negative battery terminal again
2 SCS jumper installed blue/green stripe, gray/blue stripe wires.
- which did I jump before?, I’m now questioning my sanity, I don’t know wtf I did.
3 Ignition = on, start switch = run, SEL+DWN, QS = ON, INITIALIZATION = YES
4 here I would expect to be prompted to start the bike, but it is staying blank.

Cycled through the steps a couple times and still not getting anything after saying yes to initialization.

Now I am able to get to the QS UP (1, 2, 3) and DOWN (1,2,3). I adjust those both to setting 1. Rode the bike and no blips, check engine light is on.

· Registered
746 Posts
That´s why the reset of ECU , for the MIL

· Registered
6 Posts
Success! I was able to get through the initialization, was prompted to start the bike, shift to neutral, got the “ok”. Test drove, and functioning great.

In the end, it was operator error. Didn’t pay enough attention to the directions, blew a fuse.

After replacing the fuse it was a matter of doing the steps in the right sequence. Took a few tries, but each time I got stopped it was something I was doing wrong. Scs not connected, QS cannon plug not connected . When I finally got the steps right, it worked.

Thanks @silveredge, @Ghostrider.1127 , @DoubleThumper , @Nomadic_adv . your previous replies on this thread helped me a ton, both those to me, and the last guys, especially the .pdf of the accessory manual.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts