Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the weekend getting gnarly off road.

I only had a few drops all into sand and mud, not a single physical part damaged as far as I’ve seen so far other than scratches on the ends of my barkbusters.

But I noticed every time that uprighting the bike and hitting the starter wouldn’t work. Dropping the stand wouldn’t intervene. I would have to fully turn off the electrics and back on and then it would work fine. Is this normal behavior in anyone’s experience? Is it something to do with the IMU detecting a drop?

I wouldn’t even care except that powering on and off means having to turn off abs and traction control through all those menus yet again. When you’re going thru knee high water and mud and stretches of deep sand, what a time killer.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Spent the weekend getting gnarly off road.

I only had a few drops all into sand and mud, not a single physical part damaged as far as I’ve seen so far other than scratches on the ends of my barkbusters.

But I noticed every time that uprighting the bike and hitting the starter wouldn’t work. Dropping the stand wouldn’t intervene. I would have to fully turn off the electrics and back on and then it would work fine. Is this normal behavior in anyone’s experience? Is it something to do with the IMU detecting a drop?

I wouldn’t even care except that powering on and off means having to turn off abs and traction control through all those menus yet again. When you’re going thru knee high water and mud and stretches of deep sand, what a time killer.
The 2018/2019 models have a tip over switch which disables the fuel pump when the bike falls. Until the ignition is cycled off and on you don't go anywhere. It is mentioned somewhere in my owners manual. The 2020+ will probably have the same feature. I could say don't drop it but that would be the same as saying don't ride it. We both know that isn't about to happen. 😊

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2018/2019 models have a tip over switch which disables the fuel pump when the bike falls. Until the ignition is cycled off and on you don't go anywhere. It is mentioned somewhere in my owners manual. The 2020+ will probably have the same feature. I could say don't drop it but that would be the same as saying don't ride it. We both know that isn't about to happen. 😊
Yeah I had a great time ripping it up in the worst stuff to ride on and found the AT a joy to ride thru all of that (except for when you have to pick it up with mud under your feet), but the funniest crap is that the final drop was I was exhausted and forgot to put the kickstand down. Thanks for the info couldn't find it in the manual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts