Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like a 1080 cc , up by 5 hp , 20 litre tank on standard bike. New TFT screen dash.
Watch out for it, sounds cool. I think my relatively simple manual 2016 bike will be in demand due to simplicity and fixability.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i am happy with my 2018 ATAS, i wont get the new model. i'll get different bikes instead. the Indian FTR1200S, and prolly a 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200, and maybe the Yamaha T7. of course, not any soon. i gotta make some $ first.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I won't be buying one. I have my eyes set on the Yamaha T7. Buying the AT was a filler bike basically until the T7 becomes available. Bigger is not better with me, AT is too big for me and I feel the weight and size every time I venture off pavement with it. The Tiger 800 was a better bike for me than the AT. Stupid me sold it, new Tiger is very nice but I want to get back on a Yamaha.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I know KTM and BMW are going bigger with their bikes (other than the 790). I think they should make a 600/750/800 like the old Trans Alp. Lighter, easier to pick up, maybe more fuel efficient. The AT fits into a slot between so-called middle-weight and larger bikes. I think if they made a smaller adventure bike that would create a new unique market segment. My two cents.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There seems to be an common misconception among manufacturers that bigger = better when it comes to adventure bikes. I'd be much more excited to try out the new Tenere 700 than a bigger AT.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Actually manufactures are following the sales. Bigger and heavier sells better nowadays.

Wondering whether Honda would finally put tubeless wheels on the 2020 model. So we, current owners, can get access to proper solution for (relatively) reasonable price as replacement parts.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Actually manufactures are following the sales. Bigger and heavier sells better nowadays.

Wondering whether Honda would finally put tubeless wheels on the 2020 model. So we, current owners, can get access to proper solution for (relatively) reasonable price as replacement parts.
I doubt it.. because it would no longer be a CRF. They "may" offer tubeless wheels as an option.. but even that seems doubtful to me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
There is no reason to expect the 1100 AT to be bigger & heavier, its basically the same bike made for euro 5 regulations, its quiet possible the bike will weigh less than the current models to keep pace with the competition

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Personally I would like to see some reasonable lowering options. The lower seat, which I have is not ideal, very hard I find. How about a low cost or no cost lower suspension. We are not all 6 foot plus long legged Adonis. With a 30 inch inside leg I find my 2016 a stretch, especially off road.... these bikes are off road bikes after all.
Electronic trickery is marvellous I know, but I wonder how it will hold p in long term hard use..?

Yes I know ...... old short Luddite.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I missed that! Thanks for posting.
It does not bother me: I bought a 2017 model in December 2018 while we already had images of the 2019 models. I wanted a basic bike without the wizardry of the newer models. Something that I can get fixed pretty much anywhere... A sort of "modern KLR"! I love my AT for what it is : Simple and efficient! A Swiss army knife of a motorcycle. Yes, the tank is a bit small but guess what? 90% of the time, there is a gas station within 10 or 20 miles and regardless, I'm glad to take a short break after 180 miles. For the last 10%, there's Rotopax or even Camel AVD with an integrated tank of the left side.
Keyless? I have that on my other bike and I'm always afraid of battery issues. I like KISS (Keep it Simple, Stupid)!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lets not forget that a major driver behind all this is the need to comply with ever tightening emission regs (in Europe anyway). The easiest way to maintain power at the rear wheel whilst working with regs is to (at some point) make engine bigger (they are all at it). I wonder how much of the extra "sales brochure measured" power will get through to tyre... I bought mine precisely because it was not as mad as some of the others (last Adv bike was a KTM 1190) so not tempted. I bet a few '16 MY owners may be though!! If it tempts a few more from the GS ownership trap then all well and good!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts