Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2017 CRF 1000DCT with 10k miles, i have fitted lowering link, heavy duty rear coil spring, 19in 17in tubeless wheels decat exhaust sytem and love the bike as it is now but how much better is the new 2020 model, how easy is the new dash to use for sat nav, music etc for 63yr old computer simpleton.Or do i buy 2019 model at a discounted price and swop said items. I would only buy lower price DCT model as i dont trust electronic suspensions and electronics build quality as its more than likely built in China and as a mechanic for 48yrs have seen the crap that comes out of China for the last few years that we fit to motor vehicles, so iam quite concerned. Thanks Pete Ruth Fairbairn

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Pete, I went from a 16 1000 DCT to a 2020 manual standard model, it is a totally different animal. The 2020 has a lot more "backside horsepower" than the figures would suggest and is a bit more hooligan IMHO, you defiantly need to ride one to see if it suits you, having said that power level 4 (lowest) is nearer to the 16-18 power output.

The new dash is quite intuitive in use and once you've set it to your requirements you can pretty much leave it alone, it took less that 5 minutes to connect phone and headset, I personally have the riding modes on the star button (favourites). Adjusting the heated grips is a simple operation and the cruise control is easy to use.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We have a 2017 CRF 1000DCT with 10k miles, i have fitted lowering link, heavy duty rear coil spring, 19in 17in tubeless wheels decat exhaust sytem and love the bike as it is now but how much better is the new 2020 model, how easy is the new dash to use for sat nav, music etc for 63yr old computer simpleton.Or do i buy 2019 model at a discounted price and swop said items. I would only buy lower price DCT model as i dont trust electronic suspensions and electronics build quality as its more than likely built in China and as a mechanic for 48yrs have seen the crap that comes out of China for the last few years that we fit to motor vehicles, so iam quite concerned. Thanks Pete Ruth Fairbairn
Hi there. Why change the bike atall? If there is nothing wrong with it what's the point of a 2019 model when you would have to go and farkle it just like your 2017?

As to the 2020, I have a 2016 DCT and have too much invested for that extra power and better dash and controls. My Touratech suspension is better than on the 2020 stock bikes and really, who needs the extra power? The 2016 is powerful enough for off road and on road touring.

Just my 2 cents from a 56 yr old techie who would love Apple carplay (if I had an iPhone) but it's really not worth the cash for a bit of gadgetry. Before anyone tells me I don't know what I am talking about with regards to the 2020 bikes, I rode one for a weekend when I swapped bikes with a buddy.

Enjoy the bike you have.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
ANY electronic or mechanical item can crap out on you ( granted you USUALLY get what you pay for).
That said; bottom line is personal enjoyment/happiness, after all, for a majority of us these bikes are our toys.

Reactions: ViperTech18

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi @zippysworld is it just me or is the audio on your YouTube very 'windy'?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Is it??
I didn't think it was bad, I will go back and review so cheers.

I do have a short screen so do get a direct blast compared to 1000 screens, you don't mean the noise at the end during there CarPlay bit do you, as that is a video fault when Siri talks back....appears on video but not one my headset.

Thanks for watching anyhow

·
Super Moderator
1,518 Posts
Is it??
I didn't think it was bad, I will go back and review so cheers.

I do have a short screen so do get a direct blast compared to 1000 screens, you don't mean the noise at the end during there CarPlay bit do you, as that is a video fault when Siri talks back....appears on video but not one my headset.

Thanks for watching anyhow
A bit breezy in the first minute and then that loud crackling after the CarPlay bit at about the 15:36 mark, but overall a very enjoyable watch :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts