Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Had a strange issue yesterday. I was about 5 minutes into my journey and was in S3 mode second gear, put on the power and a few seconds after that the engine died , DCT went to neutral , ignition stayed on, basically free wheeling. Took me a second or two to figure out what had actually happened, thought I had hit the kill switch by mistake but it was in the correct position so I glided to the side of the road. First thing I noticed was the cooling fans were on full blast which was odd. I powered off the ignition and got off the bike and had a quick visual but couldn't see anything obvious so I switched back on the ignition and I heard 4-5 clicking sounds coming from the engine. It wasn't the fuel pump priming, this was new sound I never heard before on power up.

She started OK but I noticed the engine management light was staying on. I drove home changing between D and S modes but drove slow and steady. On getting home turned off/on ignition and I heard one more click coming from engine but engine management light was still on so thought right, wont be driving this today. Left her about 10 minutes and turned back on ignition again , engine management light went off no more noises , started fine.

I took her for a test drive later in the day for 20mins in various modes and everything was fine.

Anyone experienced this ? My thoughts are its DCT related. Have it going back to dealer in a few days so hoping they will be able to see any error codes logged. Confidence a bit shook, only 3500KM so far!

Thanks
Martin

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
Hey @mrkielbasa - thanks for sharing the uncomfortable experience. I have not experienced that (yet), and hope not to. It appears the controller may have worked out the fault situation, but yeah, the generated error code(s) will be interesting to harvest.

Welcome to the Forum and keep in touch regarding what you learn from your Honda dealership.

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey @mrkielbasa - thanks for sharing the uncomfortable experience. I have not experienced that (yet), and hope not to. It appears the controller may have worked out the fault situation, but yeah, the generated error code(s) will be interesting to harvest.

Welcome to the Forum and keep in touch regarding what you learn from your Honda dealership.
Thank you ! I will report the outcome and thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brought back to dealer and mechanic said because the controller cleared the error itself it did not save any error code information. He mentioned he has heard of the DCT solenoids losing sync which results in engine sluggishness as it resyncs itself but never heard of complete loss of power. He reset the DCT and said that should resolve any issue. Drove bike home no issues but yesterday went to start it for a spin and engine management light back on again, so they are arranging to collect the bike to do diagnostic check now that the error is active....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So managed to read the error codes from the ECU , 4 codes for the DCT - anyone got a link handy to the codes list for 2020 CRF1100 ?

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
Post the codes anyway and let's see what flows.

Example:

Fault Code 31: Gearchange inoperative. Possible causes: Faulty ignition hold relay in PCM, blown DCT 30A fuse, loose PCM connector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Codes

35 exhaust control valve
84 can malfunction between ecu and dash
112 can malfunction (communication error)
132 air intake correlation

Bike back with dealer at the moment... waiting further news.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Somewhat wide spectrum of codes.

Loose ground or digital signal somewhere?
That's entirely possible. My wife's bike had a loose ground. It displayed some odd behaviors such as ABS light on, kept shifting back and forth between two gears and wouldn't stay in either, threw a bunch of random codes.

It took the dealership a bit to sort it because it wouldn't act up all the time and when they test rode it the first couple of times it behaved just fine.

It turned out the ground to frame was loose.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it turns out the issue was with a servo unit controlling a valve (?) in the exhaust which influences your bikes emissions. The device was sticking randomly and not able to fully complete its cycle so would cause the error codes.

Dealer said it appeared to be caused by a build up of grime but not sure why as the bike has very low mileage and mainly road usage. Got the device moving freely and since then no error codes. Time will tell if its going to happen again but I am hoping it is a once off. Waiting on a response from Honda about it.

-
Martin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts